New Enviro M55 FS stove owner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Worst smell I ever had was an Englander add-on wood stove furnace set up in the basement of my old house. That puppy STANK. It put a blue haze in my house for a solid day even with all the windows open.

So I have been running it on auto on/off mode for several weeks, especially with temps getting into the 50's-60's during mid day and 20's-30's or teens at night. That seems to work really well until we hit the main burning season, and then it goes to Hi/Lo mode.

Bought 2 tons of Eureka Premium pellets. Lot more dust than last years.

Still seems to be doing fine. I am going to call the dealer about the warped baffle. That seems odd in my opinion.

Sounds like you are happy, but just so you know. Enviro has come out with a higher output convection blower. I put it in my M55 and it sure kicks a lot more heat out. Of course it is not as quiet as the original. It's about $250.

Edit: I appreciate your info...keep it coming.

So got a new baffle plate today. The old one one was warped about 3/4" in the center (between the tabs when the plate is installed- the most bulge was in the back). With the top warped, it made removal and reinstall of the plate difficult, as the tabs were pulled toward the center of the plate.

The new plate is the same diameter as the old one, so we shall see.

The new plate didn't cost me anything, but I had to return the original plate to the dealer. They were pretty amazed at the condition of the original- again I let them know my stove didn't over fire (in so much that the stove never tripped the temp sensor).

Other than that- burning about a 1/2 ton p/mo since mid October. It has pretty much stayed below freezing for the last 2-3 weeks or so, calling for single digit temps this week. No other issues, problems or complaints with the unit. Set to Hi/Lo at 75deg in the basement, keeping the upstairs at 68deg so minimal propane usage thus far. Just filled the LGP tank last week and hope to not burn through it this winter for upstairs heating.

Threerun said:
So got a new baffle plate today. The old one one was warped about 3/4" in the center (between the tabs when the plate is installed- the most bulge was in the back). With the top warped, it made removal and reinstall of the plate difficult, as the tabs were pulled toward the center of the plate.

The new plate is the same diameter as the old one, so we shall see.

The new plate didn't cost me anything, but I had to return the original plate to the dealer. They were pretty amazed at the condition of the original- again I let them know my stove didn't over fire (in so much that the stove never tripped the temp sensor).

Other than that- burning about a 1/2 ton p/mo since mid October. It has pretty much stayed below freezing for the last 2-3 weeks or so, calling for single digit temps this week. No other issues, problems or complaints with the unit. Set to Hi/Lo at 75deg in the basement, keeping the upstairs at 68deg so minimal propane usage thus far. Just filled the LGP tank last week and hope to not burn through it this winter for upstairs heating.

Had to replaced my baffle plate also. Mine overheated a couple of times before the new feed auger cover was installed, thinking that's what did it. Got the new plate from Enviro and replaced. Easy enough, 4 bolts. They also sent 2 new screws and spacers (longer) to hold in the ceramic brick liner in place.

The dealer didn't mention anything about that as a possible issue. I think my stove build date was in 2009..

By the way- I will give Kudo's to the dealer. They have been really good to work with thus far. This is an expensive unit and has more features than what they typically sell. They are just as interested in my long term review of the unit and resolving little problems like this. I think if this plate warps, we'll get another and I'm going to weld an extra square about dead center on the plate to diminish the possibility.

Plugging happily along with the M-55. Had a slight issue with an over heat auto / shutdown, which I think was attributed to running a few bags of Presto -logs through the machine. reset the switch and it reduced incoming air to '2' and has been running well.

Burned about 2 tons so far this season, I calculate 3.5 tons when all is said and done. Have a ton and a half in the garage.

So thus far issues have been:

1. Warped baffle plate- replaced for free
2. One instance of a shutdown due to temp switch. Chalk it up to new pellets
3. Still squeaky agitator- still working on that one

I am still pleased. Way less work than my wood stove days.

Coldest temps of the season have been around -7. Had a weird warm snap for a few weeks with temps at night in the 30's, but it's back to a 'normal' Montana winter pattern right now. Hopefully we get some good -20 or so for a sustained period to check-mate the pine beetles.

Threerun,

Have you tried lubricating the agitator rod on the left side.

Mine was squeaking a bit after about 3 weeks of operation.
I applied a light coat of the anti-sieze supplied in a tube with the stove.
Problem solved and no further squeaks since.

Enviro included the anti-sieze tube in the documents package that came with the stove.
The supplied tube was
Loctite C5-A
Available at any autoparts place or Amazon for around $7.00 a can.
http://www.amazon.com/Loctite-C5-Anti-Seize-compound-brush/dp/B000LDDOXG

It did the job for me.

Wachusett PM'ed me and said the Agitator chain tension is adjustable.
I have not had to look into that. But perhaps it is something to try.

Best of Luck
---Nailer---

Still doing great. did another total clean out a week ago. Bought some high temp lube for the agitator rod and that cleared it up.

No problems to report- good solid service from the unit thusfar, looking forward to running 3.5-4.0 tons this year.

Looking at last years electric and propane bills- I've saved a lot of money. My average utility bill (which I add electric, propane for the fireplace AND a 36x24 garage, plus pellets) at an average cost of $220 p/mo. Last year my electric and propane would have averaged me about $320 a month. I have been running the pellets hard, and so far I have only used about 300 gal of propane. Compared to over 900 gal of propane last year- what a bargain! I expect average bills to continue to decline as I depend more on pellet fuel. Planing on running a hidden plenum above the pellet stove downstairs to bring cold air down and warm air up- get the convection working a bit more. I'm hoping to cut my average bill in half- but with 4 people (2 teenagers) it's tough to keep hot water in this house. Time to make them bathe outside, lol.

Bought another ton of Eureka Premium pellets yesterday. $189 p/ton has been the same price all year. This makes 4.5 tons purchased this year.
The unit is running really well, no problems or issues to speak of- just the dirty glass in the upper right area and frankly- I'm okay with that. Wipe it every few days and you're good.

I really like the unit and the heat it produces. It has cut my heating bill in half since we moved here. We will more than likely burn through mid-May, the stove will be turned from HI/LOW to the ON/OFF setting (or whatever). Whereas the stove will shut down when the t-stat reaches the set temp and turn back on when it demands. I'm assuming mid April when that occurs.

I'm pleased. 2 years and good performance out of this unit. I've pushed 6 tons through it thus far and it flat out delivers.

Thanks for the update, Threerun.

Glad it is working for you. I am getting the same results, too.

I am even getting lazy on the cleaning side of things, as I give it a good scraping and vacuuming once every two weeks. And I did the leaf blower trick once so far this winter, back in the beginning of February. Granted it has not been as cold this winter, so I haven't burned as much.

I imagine in Montana it is much colder now. I spent a day in Montana, driving through to the west coast back in 2007. I was amazed by the beauty of the landscape, the openness and the big sky.

Yeah man- awesome place. I moved here from West Virginia and I will never go back. It's cold but very much bearable here.

It's been mild here this year. Today was 50deg. Yesterday I was on the continental divide with the Scouts and digging snow caves in a 20' drift with 40mph winds and 20deg temps, lol. Truly awesome place.

And this stove is great. I loved my Dutchwest wood stoves, but damn I like this ease of operation. Basically getting heat for the same cost as folks in town with NG. I'm not complaining!

Still chugging away, the unit is set to t-stat operation instead of Hi/Lo. I've burned maybe 4 tons this year. I imagine I'll go 4.5 when all is said and done. Still in the mid 20's in the a.m., but mid 50's in the afternoon. Springtime in the Rockies! :)

Update for the current heating year- still doing well. Had some slight problems with that chimney install so had to take the pipe out and install some bracing. Other than that the stove has been performing well. My weekly cleanings still go on. Not much to report- just clean the ash, pot, the metal top plate comes out so clean that..

I clean my burn pot with an angle grinder and a wire wheel brush- knocks the crap out of the built up carbon. Two minutes and done. No scraping.

Eureka pellets is no more. The plant burned down in October so I have been chugging Lignetics. The stove really doesn't care. It burns it, and burns it well. More of a pine smell from these pellets though. No biggie. It did trip the temp sensor one day.

One thing I noticed about this unit- if you let the pellet supply run low, for some reason the pellets only get slightly burned and the the agitator pushes them off and out to the ash box where they collect. All of a sudden you have smoldering pellets building up. Smoke then fills the unit and the hopper, which then puts smoke in the house. I re-adjusted my feed rate down one notch to '2' with the current pellets, air feed at '3' and the problem is solved.

Don;t ask me why. It works. Heat is good.

That is all. Montana out. (BTW it has been below zero once already :) )

Reactions: Eatonpcat
Trying to keep my personal review going. Heating season well under way here. Last night 18 degrees night before was 15 degrees. First good storm of the season earlier this week.

Unit was cleaned after last season. Added pellets and it fired up and is chugging along. Little squeaky on the agitator so will need to add some high temp lube to the next cleaning. I really like the unit. Wish I could get more heat upstairs though- it really cooks the basement family room. Might need to add some vents in the floor with power fans to move some of it around.

Well stove overheated on setting 3 about a week ago. Tripped the sensor and she shut down. It was -6 out. Checked the baffle plate when the unit cooled down and it is indeed warped (again). This was replaced once before almost 2 years ago. Will call the dealer again see what they can do.

-12 as I write this. Good heat coming from unit. Hi/Lo setting with thermostat. Highest setting on stove 3, feed rate 1, combustion 2. Keeps the house around 65deg. Can't ask for much more than that given the unit is downstairs.

Stay warm!

-12 as I write this. Good heat coming from unit. Hi/Lo setting with thermostat. Highest setting on stove 3, feed rate 1, combustion 2. Keeps the house around 65deg. Can't ask for much more than that given the unit is downstairs.

Stay warm!

Just making sure I understand your post. I have the Hampton GC60 which is the same as your M55 with different badges. You said, "highest setting on stove 3?" Does your stove not have 5 settings? I'm asking about this because I've had several issues with mine not heating very well and if you are heating your home at -12F on heat setting 3 it only confirms that I got a dud.

Thanks

My GCI60 has 5 settings -- most times even when its very cold I never need to kick it above 3. I've never once had it on 5!

Just making sure I understand your post. I have the Hampton GC60 which is the same as your M55 with different badges. You said, "highest setting on stove 3?" Does your stove not have 5 settings? I'm asking about this because I've had several issues with mine not heating very well and if you are heating your home at -12F on heat setting 3 it only confirms that I got a dud.

Thanks
My apologies- My stove does have a range of 1-5 for heat settings. I meant to say the highest I have set mine to is '3'. It has never been on '5'. It does a very good job of heating the house. You literally cannot stay in the basement with the stove set at '3', even if it is −12 out. The basement is finished and very well insulated. (Poured concrete. 2-6 studs insulated, then 1" rigid insulation then drywall).

My unit is broken as of today. For several weeks the unit has been tripping the overheat switch when on Hi/Lo setting. The highest I had it set was level '2' on the heat setting. So I put it into manual mode on '1' and called the dealer to come out and look at it. Two days ago I started hearing a sporadic 'banging' and 'clunking' sound and the unit would overheat quickly and trip the sensor. I took the side covers off and noticed the squirrel cage blower was basically hanging off it's assembly- completely detached from the left side of the blower motor housing and hanging there. It was periodically banging on the stove frame below. Not good. I wonder if the blower fan has been defective for some time causing these overheat issues? Dealer is coming out tomorrow to discuss. I know I have to replace the blower and it looks easy enough for me to do. Hopefully no charge for service on this one.

Hi Threerun! Glad your enjoying your stove...minus the blower issue. It is definitely a full warranty replacement. The new convection blower should also come with a new capacitor as well. I didn't notice in the pics or posts if you are plugged into a surge protector or not.....? Good luck! Bill

Hi Threerun, glad your enjoying your M55. Your convection blower is definitely covered under the warranty and it should also come with a slightly different capacitor as well. More noise, but much more air flow in 3 and higher....Hey, I couldn't tell in the pics or other posts if the stove was plugged into a surge protector or not....? Good Luck, Bill

Thanks- no surge protector on the unit, but that is a good point.

So the blower is toast and the blower is the old style. The tech that came out is the same guy I talked to last year about whether or not my stove had the new blower or the old one. I jogged his memory about it but he seems to think Enviro will not cover the upgrade, even though the old one is the cause of the heat sensor tripping. We will see. I would like to talk to the owner and Enviro and let them know I am documenting this unit ' long term'..

Very much appreciate your long term review. It was a big help in determining our stove choice 2 years ago.
Our M55 experience has been very close to yours. We run ours on Hi/Low #2/#1 except for temperatures around zero when we switch to #3/#1.
Thanks for the tip of the angle grinder and wire brush for cleaning. That does work well.