New Hampshire Propane Shortage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

peakbagger

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jul 11, 2008
Northern NH
The cold snap combined with snow has equaled a shortage of propane deliveries in NH. The claim is there is supply but there is a shortage of CDL drivers to do the home deliveries. The claim is help is on the way, but my guess is the dealers are hoping for warm weather to slow down the demand. More than few dealers keep the tanks they install small so they need to do frequent deliveries during cold weather. My neighbor's house seems to get a delivery every 2 weeks in cold weather (no idea what tank size).

My 2 year stacks of firewood sure are looking good to me;)

right now, for me, about 75 gal of propane = 1 cord of hardwood delivered.

It made the news in last week or so.

Most of the propane and oil dealers hire seasonal drivers to cover winter demand. Hire too many and if its mild winter, costs go up, hire too few and they risk running short of drivers in cold snap. Worst case they get a batch of bad PR. In this case Amerigas was prominent in the reporting but its not like there is lot of local competition. What is controllable is installing larger tanks to reduce the number of deliveries but many folks would not want a large "submarine" sitting in their yard.

Seasonal drivers have lots of options on where to work and schlepping around a big rubber hose through snowbanks on poorly plowed back roads and driveways sounds to me like a less desired job. Some school districts are paying signing bonus's.

Some school districts are paying signing bonus's.
Lemme see, 50 screaming, plague infested kids, vs. spending the day outside in snow pants and chaining up the propane truck?

Where are the chains stashed on this propane truck?

• Haha
Reactions: all night moe