New Harman 300i Not Throwing Out Enough Heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
bluedogz, that's great. Do you have an IR thermometer that could be used to measure the chimney temp outdoors behind the insert and then a cold spot in the masonry below it?

The ceiling fan is running along with any other fan I can think of to circulate the air.

Sure, stop by anytime. Although it's a long drive from where you are.

On a side note, I put up a picture of how the chimney looks from outside, and there is a wrought iron grate, which I can open and look within, which is the back of firebox itself. I reached in and felt the bricks are slightly warm to the touch. Not sure what that indicates, but something interesting.
Yes, that is heat being wicked away from the insert. I would pack that area with insulation and seal it up.

I am not sure where is the heat going in an enclosed insert. I'll check the masonry at the outside of the house, but I doubt that the heat would be trapped there.

Not trapped, but transferred... away from the house. Your stove is working hard to heat both your house AND the great outdoors. Your house is losing to the competition.

Not trapped, but transferred... away from the house. Your stove is working hard to heat both your house AND the great outdoors. Your house is losing to the competition.
Interesting, you would think that the installers would know how to properly insulate that and provide maximum heat output. Having said that, I'm trying to get with the installation company to get answers to my burning questions.

Not untypical, they are not paying the heat bill. They want to have a happy customer which often means coming in with a competitive bid.

The ceiling fan is running along with any other fan I can think of to circulate the air.

Sure, stop by anytime. Although it's a long drive from where you are.

On a side note, I put up a picture of how the chimney looks from outside, and there is a wrought iron grate, which I can open and look within, which is the back of firebox itself. I reached in and felt the bricks are slightly warm to the touch. Not sure what that indicates, but something interesting.

Balto isn't THAT far from North East...

bluedogz, that's great. Do you have an IR thermometer that could be used to measure the chimney temp outdoors behind the insert and then a cold spot in the masonry below it?

Yes, BG, I do. If there's data you want post it here and I'll get it. Or PM me.

OK, so on a cold stove, the back of the firebox showed 46 degrees F.
After reaching 450F stovetop, back of firebox shows 190 deg. F.

Oh, yeah.... ceiling fan was running normally, we reversed it. There is no block off plate nor any sign of any insulation. Installer's invoice is unclear but it APPEARS the liner is not insulated either.

So... yeah. The great outdoors is .00000000001 degree warmer and NHO's living room is... not.

Last edited:
Was that from the outside brick?

Not exterior- the cleanup door allowed me to snake my arm in and up to shoot at the back of the firebox itself. We could not get line of sight on the actual firebox.

The actual exterior brick/stone of the chimney maintained a 0-2 deg. reading no matter where or when I shot it.

Do you have a temp gauge and if so how hot is your stovetop.

Rutland thermo indicates 500 stovetop, IR therm taps out at >428, so that's all I can say there.

So... yeah. The great outdoors is .00000000001 degree warmer and NHO's living room is... not.
Sure would love to reverse the greater outdoor.

Been so busy that I haven't even following my own thread, but a hearty thank you to Bluedogz for coming out to my humble hut, in a blizzard no less.

Anyway, the installation company is coming out to plug in some insulation between the firebox and ash door, we'll see how much that will help.

Again, thanks Bluedogz for test the insert for me. I will keep you guys updated.

NewHarmanOwner

Sure would love to reverse the greater outdoor.

Been so busy that I haven't even following my own thread, but a hearty thank you to Bluedogz for coming out to my humble hut, in a blizzard no less.

Anyway, the installation company is coming out to plug in some insulation between the firebox and ash door, we'll see how much that will help.

Again, thanks Bluedogz for test the insert for me. I will keep you guys updated.

NewHarmanOwner

Oh, another heretofore unknown fact: one wall of the stove room is taken up by interior-grade french doors leading to a non-insulated addition. So, the great outdoors also has taken a flanking position on NHO's defense.

NHO: even if we don't want to spend cash on new doors or even heavy curtains, tacking up a heavy blanket for a day on both french doors would show how much heat is going out those doors. After that you can plan for a solution.

The room my harman is in is 18 x 15 not much smaller but with a conventional 8 Ft ceiling ,but i have the free standing stove. That room goes to 95 degree with the stove on a low air setting, in any kind of weather. Its all i can do to blow that heat around the rest of 3000 Sq Ft. Harman does not recommend running the stove on high all the time. They claim permanent damage can occur.

Status
Not open for further replies.