new hearth, and new hearthstone heritage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hubisz

Aug 11, 2009
Cortland County, upstate NY
Finished up my hearth over the last few weekends, took delivery this afternoon, and just finished up my first break-in fire. The single-wall stovepipe got up to 150, and stone stayed warm, not hot, to the touch, so I think it went well. I saw a little bit of water pooling up in the side-door framing when I opened it up, so the break-in fire was doing its job. Itching to get this thing going full blast, but held off the gas for the first break-in fire. Couple more ramp-up fires, and we'll be good to go!

Attachments

• newstove1.jpg
    newstove1.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 300
  • newstove2.jpg
    newstove2.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 298
Looks great! Congratulations.

Don't be in too big of a hurry to get that thing going full blast. We should not need that sort of heat for several weeks yet....I hope.

Thanks, Backwoods. It was in the low 30's this morning here, and I've been burning away liquid money...propane...I mean propane...already for a month. Looking at the first snow for the season by next weekend. Part of me is actually looking forward to the cool weather now, though.

We've been in the 20's for a few nights. 34 expected tonight. It definitely is colder than normal for this time of year. And I don't blame you a bit for wanting away from the propane. Wood heat is the way to go.

No snow predicted here and we aren't ready. Too many leaves left on the trees yet. I have to admit that it really feels good again to come inside and feel that warmth from the stove.

btw, I apologize. I don't think I have welcomed you to the forum. Welcome!

Thanks for the warm welcome! I posted once a while back when I first started my hearth-building project. I'll probably post a few updates on my progress this winter. Here's hoping my wood is good and dry (I don't have the 7 year surplus built up just yet!).

Looks like the black enamel. I wish I had gotten that color enamel finish since the matte black I have, which I think looks great when new, has faded into a dingy grey.

You have a unique angle to the install. Should make the excellent side door even more usable.

First thing you need to do is put the proper meter on the stove top. Your owner's manual specifies how and where to monitor the temperature and it is not on the pipe. These stoves have pretty critical temperature requirements that you'll want to repect to maintain your warranty.

It sure looks good with single wall pipe. The double wall that I have hides a lot of the collar.

Thanks Highbeam. I do like the black enamel, but it sure was pricey. I was pretty close to going with the matte too. We'll see if I feel whether it was worth it a couple years down the line, when there are certain to be a few chips in it.

The angle was a real pain in the rear. The location is non-ideal, but I wanted the stove to be visible from our kitchen, and also leave room in the alcove for some wood storage. Also, the flue entry comes through at a really shallow angle wrt the brick face. I actually wanted the double wall pipe. I haven't got the clearance I want to the wall on the left, but the double wall pipe wouldn't agree with the angles. I need to either figure out a way to do double wall, or come up with shielding soon.

Thanks for the tip on the thermometer. It's magnetic, and the guy who helped with the delivery and install said to slap it on the stovepipe, so that's what I did. I just used my hand on the stone for the break-in, but I'll leave the thermometer on the stone for later burns.

I have the brown enamel. only place i really buggered it up was a few hot embers resting on the side door ash-lip. otherwise it's a pretty durable finish. Nice install and welcome to the Hearth! :)

Nice install with a nice looking stove . . . one of the stoves out there that tempts me.

Thanks!

Had my first "real" fire last night. I let the stone get up to about 275 or so for 2-3 hours before damping it down to 1/4 open before bedtime, going through a couple medium sized splits. There was a bit of out-gassing, but the fumes weren't too bad. The soapstone is great...the stove was still fairly warm in the morning, even though the fire was just embers 7 hours earlier.

The secondary combustion is just beautiful...I got all excited about it, and dragged the wife over to look, and she just says "Yeah, I guess it's nice." She just doesn't get me ;).

hubisz said:
I got all excited about it, and dragged the wife over to look, and she just says "Yeah, I guess it's nice."...
Don't you hate when they do that !!! :( I take great pride in returning the favor when they walk in with a new pair of shoes, hair cut, cloths, etc! :cheese:

On that single wall to left wall clearance issue. It looks like the wall is within the clearance for single wall, but, you measure that clearance perpendicular to the pipe so since the crock looks almost perp to the face of that wall, you have mucho clearance and maybe no need for shielding.

Do embers sitting on the ash lip really ruin the enamel?

This stove really makes some mojo above 500. Remember that overfire is at 600 so don't go that far.

Status
Not open for further replies.