New here

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ferrattus

Oct 12, 2008
Indiana
I would like to start off by saying hello, and that it is obvious I have found a good place for information regarding fireplaces.

I have owned a Rsf Topaz http://www.icc-rsf.com/en/rsf/The_Topaz_fireplace_ fireplace for approx 4 years now. Works great with one exception. I have been moved to first shift and will be sleeping through the night. With that being said someone told me to add a little coal to the hot fire before bedtime. Is this a good idea ?? Pro's ? Con's .

Greetings and welcome. I think the answer is in the Topaz's manual. Coal fumes are corrosive, they say don't burn it in the fireplace:

WARNING: BURN DRY WOOD ONLY.
DO NOT BURN: DRIFTWOOD,
TREATED WOOD,
COAL,
GARBAGE, OR PLASTIC

Status
Not open for further replies.