New house - Creosote dripping - Help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread is a prime example of how this site and the people who are involved in it can help in almost any situation . Glad to say I joined and have learned so much from it myself

Reactions: Owen1508
Back with some good news.

I'm pleased to say after a lot of stress and asking a lot of questions, our stove is now working as it should.

The flexible liner was installed and insulated. A stainless steel plate was also fitted at the top of the alcove/opening. The offending adaptor was also removed.

After some discussion with the builder and installer, they agreed that I should have been offered this level of install from the start. But as it wasn't required by law here, that they hadn't done anything wrong by just using an adaptor. On the guidance of a solicitor, I regretfully accepted that this was the case and we came to an agreement on the cost of fixing the issue properly.

I had to pay for the materials at £400 ($650) and the labour (2 men for 1 day) was covered by the installer. This was considerably cheaper than any independent quote to fix the problem, with the cheapest coming in at double that.

I've been burning wood for over 2 weeks now with everything working as it should.

I just wanted to stop by to thank you all again for the free advice and support. You really have a great forum here and I owe you all a beer. ;)

Ryan.

View attachment 140771

Hi Ryan

Sorry for hijacking your post but I'm having a very similar problem to you; just moved into a new build house and have a major issue with creosote running down the outside of the chimney which incidentally was install with a clay rather than steel flue liner. I also live in Northern Ireland (County Down) just wondering are you able to say who installed your stove? I'm being fobbed off with the excuse that I'm burning the wrong fuel and have been told that there is only one supplier of genuine kiln dried wood in the whole of Northern Ireland! Something doesn't sit right with me about the whole thing.
Were you advised to burn a high heat fire to get rid of the creosote? Or use a chimney sweep?

Many thanks
Rachel

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Ryan

Sorry for hijacking your post but I'm having a very similar problem to you; just moved into a new build house and have a major issue with creosote running down the outside of the chimney which incidentally was install with a clay rather than steel flue liner. I also live in Northern Ireland (County Down) just wondering are you able to say who installed your stove? I'm being fobbed off with the excuse that I'm burning the wrong fuel and have been told that there is only one supplier of genuine kiln dried wood in the whole of Northern Ireland! Something doesn't sit right with me about the whole thing.
Were you advised to burn a high heat fire to get rid of the creosote? Or use a chimney sweep?

Many thanks
Rachel

Hi Rachel,

I'll send you the name of the installer via private message.

Reactions: Owen1508
Status
Not open for further replies.