New Install Fireplace Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Catan

Oct 22, 2018
Long Island NY
Thank you all for this wonderful forum, with all the information I found, I'm looking to diy install a fireplace insert into my living room fireplace, exterior brick chimney. Looking to heat as much space as possible - but going with insert due to looks, hearth size and wife/new baby.

Looking for recommendations for local chimney sweeps, showrooms, vendors for liner and inserts. I am in Long Island NY

There are a few used inserts on craigslist, and i've read good things about Jotul and the Princess models. I want to lean away from cat models.

Dimensions are in photo attached. I'm also looking to insulate a liner and blockoff plate and stick some insulation around the insert as well to direct as much heat into the room as possible.

My hope is that the insert will heat up the 1st floor pretty good and provide supplemental heat as well as enjoyment for the family without the issues that the traditional fireplace has, since we do use it often in the winter. More heat the better!

Attachments

• IMG_20181022_115959.jpg
    IMG_20181022_115959.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_20181022_115830.jpg
    IMG_20181022_115830.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 121
Welcome to the forum! Several Long Islander regulars, here.

The Princess is one of the best stoves on the market, but it is a cat stove. We have many members come here, with an initial aversion to catalytic stoves, only to switch to one after a few years on this forum. You don’t see many folks going the other way, catalytic to non-cat, though. Not trying to sway you one way or another, there are merits to both technologies, but catalytic stoves have several superior performance traits.

The Jotul could work to, but be sure you understand the pros and cons of each, before jumping to any conclusions.

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
That's a deep fireplace. There is a whole world of options. Tell us more about the house, its size, floorplan, number of stories, etc. so we can advise better. Regardless of choice, a modern stove is going to need fully seasoned wood. At this time of year dry wood can be very hard to come by.

Member @Dix has a mid-sized PE insert keeping her icy hollow home warm on LI. What is the budget for chimney liner and stove?

Welcome to the forum! Several Long Islander regulars, here.

The Princess is one of the best stoves on the market, but it is a cat stove. We have many members come here, with an initial aversion to catalytic stoves, only to switch to one after a few years on this forum. You don’t see many folks going the other way, catalytic to non-cat, though. Not trying to sway you one way or another, there are merits to both technologies, but catalytic stoves have several superior performance traits.

The Jotul could work to, but be sure you understand the pros and cons of each, before jumping to any conclusions.

Thanks for the input regarding cats - i dont know the pros and cons of cat vs non cat, I'm basing my choices on complexity of the unit (future repair and maintenance) and my experience with cats in cars.

I am looking at a budget of $2-$3k. I found a jotul 450 on CL for around that price and my wife likes the look.

Last edited:
That's a deep fireplace. There is a whole world of options. Tell us more about the house, its size, floorplan, number of stories, etc. so we can advise better. Regardless of choice, a modern stove is going to need fully seasoned wood. At this time of year dry wood can be very hard to come by.

It is a brick Colonial built in 1938, 2,800 SF (approx 1,750 for the main building, with an addition). 2 stories, with a finished attic, gas furnace in an uninsulated basement. Upstairs are the bedrooms for my father, nursery and my wife and i.

Floorplan is roughly sketched in the attached pic for 1st floor. I don't expect to heat the house soley with wood stove. I expect the stove to provide supplemental warmth and enjoyment to cold nights and time when we are spending most of our time in the 1st floor (weekends and nights).

I have about a face cord of wood that i have seasoned for about a year that i need to chop, just built a wood rack, the old wood has been drying in covered garbage cans. I chopped a few logs they feel light but could be drier. I have a moisture meter and will measure tonight to see if we are at 20%.

I am in the process of felling a tree and pruning so i should have another face cord for next year. I live by Queens border, so I am not in a wooded area. I plan on scavenging / helping folks chop for wood and just taking what i can get / afford. I am fairly new to all this but have been reading. I enjoy preparing and burning wood and would like to do so with minimal economic and environmental cost.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
You say you've been drying your wood in covered garbage cans. Maybe I'm picturing this wrong, but that doesn't seem like a good way to dry wood. It should be exposed to sun/wind if possible with a loose fitting cover or roof over it, so that it doesn't trap the moisture inside. I'm a little concerned that the face cord you already have may not be dry enough. A moisture meter will tell.

For obtaining new wood, I've been very successful scouring Craigslist and Nextdoor for people giving away wood for free. This is quite common in my area, though it may not be in yours. I haven't paid for wood in a few years. I just collect it from people who had trees cut down and want the wood gone. Last spring I picked up 3 cords of Black Locust, Maple and Elm from one neighbor. I usually start looking for wood in Feb/March, then split and stack it immediately. Don't leave it in rounds for months and then split it in fall. It won't be dry by then most likely.

You say you've been drying your wood in covered garbage cans. Maybe I'm picturing this wrong, but that doesn't seem like a good way to dry wood. It should be exposed to sun/wind if possible with a loose fitting cover or roof over it, so that it doesn't trap the moisture inside. I'm a little concerned that the face cord you already have may not be dry enough. A moisture meter will tell.

Agreed 100% with you. just started to learn about proper drying techniques recently. wasnt a real concern before as they were just fireplace burns. If it's not dry enough this season, I will burn next. moisture probing will be done when i get off work and chop more wood.

LOL, there's competition. A neighbor of yours in Queens just got an insert and has been scrounging wood since.

How open is the kitchen area and entryway to the living room?

It sounds like you will be burning mostly nights and weekends. If that's correct you will need at least a cord of wood. The C450 is a decent insert medium sized insert and should warm up the living and kitchen rooms fine. If not correct and the goal is to heat more and 24/7 then you should be looking for a lot more wood and the largest insert that will fit.

Agreed 100% with you. just started to learn about proper drying techniques recently. wasnt a real concern before as they were just fireplace burns. If it's not dry enough this season, I will burn next. moisture probing will be done when i get off work and chop more wood.
Moisture needs to be tested on the inside wood which means re-splitting the split and testing in the middle of the freshly exposed face of the wood. Press the probes in hard for good contact. The wood should be at room temp for an accurate reading.

Kitchen entry is door sized opening. The living room into foyer / stairwell is a large double door sized opening and I was thinking would be a nice place to send hot air up/around w/ fan.

You are correct, mostly nights and weekends. I will start to build the stockpile for next year now then.

There's a C450 for $2500 used on CL in my area. Wife likes the look. If a larger unit than the 450 fits, is it worth the upgrade for my needs?
The 550 gets a lot of coverage on these forums (and i read the entire thread with the gentleman who was having issues w/ it).

The C450 price seems high for a used unit. It is quite new?

*Trots In* :)

Welcome to the forums, neighbor !

House layout looks condusive to heating pretty well. Office addition might get cooler. A fan might help. Your upstairs will probably fair better than you expect, with the right insert.

I'd look for an insert with an extended front. My fan on the PE crapped out, and I'm waiting for a new one from PE (ordered from Tom, I'm good :) ) So, I have a small table fan on the hearth, blowing across the glass, and it's doing a pretty good job. Just a thought !

Firewood .... get more, way more. Seasoned is hard this year. I'm in mid Suffolk ( Exit 68 LIE), and have access to people who can get you ahead for next year. Also a potential for some seasoned. Let me know if I can hook you up. Glad to help if I can.

PS - love, love, love my PE. One of my best decisions !!!!

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
Dix thank you for jumping in. It seems like might be best to focus on getting wood first and then the insert second! I am excited to hear that upstairs might get warm that's really what we need. What should I look for in an insert that would make it the right one?

My in laws live in mid Suffolk so I frequent those parts.

Dix thank you for jumping in. It seems like might be best to focus on getting wood first and then the insert second! I am excited to hear that upstairs might get warm that's really what we need. What should I look for in an insert that would make it the right one?

My in laws live in mid Suffolk so I frequent those parts.

You can build a smaller fire in a bigger stove, but not the reverse ;)

Oh great, so bigger the better! Yes I would love to know all the local vendors, for fireplace inserts, install, and wood. I have yet to see one working in person and feel the heat, I have been looking to bring my wife to check one out sometime.