New La Nordica Milly

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Morso1bo

Burning Hunk
Mar 6, 2011
western new hampshire
Finally replaced my old Lange with a cook stove. Still breaking it in and figuring out how it works.

610A5B50-3E73-4735-A3E3-F08FF05DF190.jpeg

Wow, that's beautiful! How do you like the nesting cook rings? I do not like the original steel top for my cook stove, but it looks like the nesting rings don't let a lot of air around them due to the beveled edge, unlike the removable lid on my steel top.

Wow, that's beautiful! How do you like the nesting cook rings? I do not like the original steel top for my cook stove, but it looks like the nesting rings don't let a lot of air around them due to the beveled edge, unlike the removable lid on my steel top.
I like them and they do not smoke. I wish they had a traditional stove lid lifter set up. Instead they have a hole in center with a hook tool. To remove them all you need to use hands.

Is that a screen over the firebox window? One of the few complaints about my cooker is the extreme heat coming out of the glass. I'm probably going to be getting a welding apron, but I'd like a more passive solution as well.

It is actually a second sheet of glass with air space between the primary glass So far it is doing the trick, might not once a bigger fire is going. A welding apron would definitely do the trick!

Reactions: SpaceBus
Sweet, that looks great!

Reactions: Morso1bo
Sopka has been making some interesting cook stoves for a couple decades now. This one is particularly nice with the warming shelf option. What are the lower compartments for?

Sopka has been making some interesting cook stoves for a couple decades now. This one is particularly nice with the warming shelf option. What are the lower compartments for?

Sopka is the importer, they also imported my Tim Sistem cookstove.

Old thread, this is going back about a decade when Sopka just started importing. There are LaNordica units that are made in eastern Europe, Serbia I think. In England they are sold under the Broseley name (Broseley Rosa) and in Italy as the Nordica Rosa and under the Sopka name as the Sopka Magnum. I had started looking at them after seeing something similar while in Eastern Europe.

Obadiah wrote them up as made by Sopka. I am wondering if this is the heritage of the new Milly.

PS: Does this look familiar?

Thanks so much, I have wanted a cookstove for a long time! The lower red tiles are just attached to the doors, no compartments behind them.

Old thread, this is going back about a decade when Sopka just started importing. There are LaNordica units that are made in eastern Europe, Serbia I think. In England they are sold under the Broseley name (Broseley Rosa) and in Italy as the Nordica Rosa and under the Sopka name as the Sopka Magnum. I had started looking at them after seeing something similar while in Eastern Europe.

Obadiah wrote them up as made by Sopka. I am wondering if this is the heritage of the new Milly.

PS: Does this look familiar?

The Rizzoli line also looks like it is made by the same folks that make Tim Sistem, ABC, Royal, and a few others.

I really don't know how well one of the hydronic cook stoves from Obadiah's would do in the real world. It seems to me that all that water would make baking impossible.

It depends on where the heat is robbed to warm the water. If it's on the output, after the flue gases circle the oven, then it should be ok, especially if the water in the storage tank is already hot.

Definitely more of a trick to heat the house with this stove during really cold spells. The oil boiler definitely comes on a lot more then it use too.
I can only carry the heating load with my cookstove if it's above freezing or a sunny day regardless of temp. Any colder or no sun and I light up the Morso. Usually I burn the Morso when we go to bed as well. Some mornings have been in the low 60's in the morning, but that's because our slab is currently uninsulated and we haven't finished re-insulating the house. Lately overnight temps have been in the 30-ish range so I haven't burned the Morso at night in about a week. It's been a weird winter.

Thanks for the update Morso. Im still researching and thinking. Lol. Got some shorter wood cut and split to fit in Millies Firebox tho...lol.
My kitchen living room and dining room are open. I have a gas fireplace which Im having a hard time justifying removing. Also gas furnace. Considering a wood cook stove for the ambience...and cooking of course. Just having a hard time on placement.
Hows the chef skills working out for ya?

I can only carry the heating load with my cookstove if it's above freezing or a sunny day regardless of temp. Any colder or no sun and I light up the Morso. Usually I burn the Morso when we go to bed as well. Some mornings have been in the low 60's in the morning, but that's because our slab is currently uninsulated and we haven't finished re-insulating the house. Lately overnight temps have been in the 30-ish range so I haven't burned the Morso at night in about a week. It's been a weird winter.
I agree, if it’s in the thirties it is more than adequat. a strange winter for sure! I’ve been hearing the red winged black birds for a week now, spring is on its way!

Thanks for the update Morso. Im still researching and thinking. Lol. Got some shorter wood cut and split to fit in Millies Firebox tho...lol.
My kitchen living room and dining room are open. I have a gas fireplace which Im having a hard time justifying removing. Also gas furnace. Considering a wood cook stove for the ambience...and cooking of course. Just having a hard time on placement.
Hows the chef skills working out for ya?
It should do a good job for you for sure, cooks real well! I love the even heat of the cook top. Shorter wood is a good idea, I’m still burning longer wood which definitely adds to the mess every time I open the loading door. I see why people opt of the top loading option some stoves offer. Definitely would recommend wood that has seasoned for at least a year!

It should do a good job for you for sure, cooks real well! I love the even heat of the cook top. Shorter wood is a good idea, I’m still burning longer wood which definitely adds to the mess every time I open the loading door. I see why people opt of the top loading option some stoves offer. Definitely would recommend wood that has seasoned for at least a year!
Sometimes I wish my stove was a top loader. Not having an ash lip on my cooker is really the only thing I don't like about it.

Reactions: Morso1bo
Especially when red hot coals roll out onto the floor!
Thankfully I have kind of an andiron situation going on, so no coals fall out, but a small amount of ash and tiny char crumbles fall out almost every time I open the door.