New low emission stove choice help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
but during start ups and reloading you need to bypass for 15-30 min until the cat is up to temp and you will see quite a bit of smoke, more so than a non cat.
To reduce smoke on reload I do two things. Don’t let the stove cool off too much. I’m not sure how much helps but is has to help some. Second and I think it has the biggest impact is to throw some small fast burning kindling on the coals before I put the splits on then (2-or 3 pieces 1-2” squarish) and then another couple right on top. I find this gets the secondary combustion going much faster. I would assume it would help get the cat up to temp quicker to but I don’t have any experience there.

reducing smoke probably has as much to do with burning habits as it does stove design. Split your wood a bit smaller might help too. I’m just thinking smaller hotter fires. Yeah you won’t get great burn but I think that’s ok during the day time. Save the bigger splits for nighttime, who is outside in the middle of the night during the winter. If you get an idea of your neighbors schedule just adjust your reload times accordingly. Every little bit helps. I might even look for some cherry apple or pecan wood. One split a load almost makes it smell good/different).