New member wood burning insert questions restoration

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

knever3

Nov 30, 2013
Michigan
Hello all,

I have a wood burning insert that is who knows how old. I refinished it a couple of years ago. It works good I guess, the fans both work but there a few problems I would like to ask your help with.

The insert doesn't have a stand type exhaust so I can't hook up a insulated liner, what can I do?

I do not intend to heat my house with this, do I need to buy another insert or can I use the one I have?

I plan to light a fire from time to time when people come over or when we are going to be home for the day. I work crazy swing shift so it's not practical to use it as the primary heat source.

I like the looks of the current unit so going to a new one would change that. Any help with these questions would be awesome! I have posted a couple of pictures of what I have and the refinishing I did a couple of years ago.

I removed the glass, cleaned the entire thing, replaced the rope seals, sanded and painted the whole thing with stove paint.

It sure finished up nice. They make rect. to round adapters for stoves like this so that you can hook up a liner.

Can you send me a link to what you mention? I thought the adapters were for the stoves with the protruding square outlets? I don't have anything to attach the liner to, it's flush.

Wow, that thing is HUGE! I don't know if it will fit. Thanks for sending me the link, I didn't know they made something like that.

There are several sizes and variations. I just grabbed links to the first couple ones I saw. What is the size of the rectangular flue opening on the insert?

Status
Not open for further replies.