New P68 is coming in two weeks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

robhd41

Feb 14, 2017
Clarksburg,Ma
So I have an Alaska Channing lll coal stoker, have had it three years and I can't stand it. My wife even less lol.... So after much debate over what I was going to procure for my next heater, had my heart set on a quad 5700 step top, even have 10 cords of wood In the yard! I finally decided on the Harman p68. Had pellets before bought a used st Croix Prescott and had an awful time it. I'm ready to try again. Hopefully with a lot better results

Pretty big difference between the 2. More btu's, way easier cleaning when needed, better control, hot bodied stove so more like a wood burner.
Good luck

Nothing like a new high quality stove.

I'm curious what kind of problems you had with the Prescott? I have one myself as my main heater, love the damn thing, reliable and great heat. Same for my basement dwelling P61a Harman.

Yeah I know that coal is significantly hotter. Never have really had to really crank it up...If Harman still made an auto stoker that's what I would be putting in...I feel pretty confident in the P68 though. I still have the stoker and my consider installing it on the other side of my home and using it as secondary. My wife has a hard time lighting it and it's not the prettiest thing to have in your living room.

Last edited:
Jzm I bought that stove from someone who didn't take care of it properly. I can't blame the stove entirely. No matter what type of pellets I used it would always act as if the exhaust was blocked. Lazy flame with black tips. Replace all the gaskets combustion motor pressure switch and control board. Twice a season. I would bring it outside and hit it with the air compressor and blow it out on top of the complete weekly vacuuming I would do

My Hastings was pretty particular about cleaning behind the traps (3 - 2 easily found, 1 hidden) - don't know if the Prescott was the same but may have been the issue.

The Harman's are very simple to use and upkeep so you should be happy. Congrats on your upcoming arrival!

Unfortunately it was plugged up internally, seen this before, especially in cases where stove idles alot.

On my Prescott I typically use the leaf blower trick once every 6 weeks or so on top of weekly ash pan dumps. Very rarely gets shut off entirely in the cold of winter. Very lively flame, but if she gets lazy I'll use the choke cable behind the burn pot trick to free up the internal passages.