New Pellet Stove and need some fan assistance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got an Enviro M55 Pellet Stove installed a couple weeks ago. It's in an addition which is seperated from the main house by a sliding glass door which is always open (about 5 ft of open space)

My problem is the room with the stove is getting nice and warm....too warm actually....it was up to 88-90 the other day. The air does not seem to flow freely into the rest of the house, down the hall, and into the bedrooms. I've set up 2 tower fans stacked on TV tables to blow the hot air from the top of the room out into the rest of the house. This seems to be working fairly well, but I can't leave these fans in the middle of my living room forever.

Above the door is a perfect space to install 1 or 2 thru-wall fans (recommended by the installers). Unfortunately they are taking too long to get back to me about what I should get.....so, does anyone have any suggestions of some good thru-wall fans? I was told not to get them too powerful as it will cool the air down too much. I have plenty of room to install 2 fans in this space. So I'm wondering also if I should get 1 more powerful fan or 2 less powerfull fans. I keep seeing the term CFM, what should I be looking for?

I have a similar set up. I put a 30X42 addition on my house and
connected thru an existing sliding glass door (removed door)
I actually use a small box fan on the floor blowing cold air into
the room with the stove in it and one of the doorway corner
fans to assist the hot air out, works good for me

Broan makes a bunch of them. Bought mine from ventingdirect.com

I have the smaller units. But work well. 90 cfm and seem to do more than that. They are the Broan #512. Keeps the bedrooms within 1-2* of the rest of the house. Which our corner doorway fans did also. But with those. The door must be open. Now they stay the same temp and can be closed (our doors have a 1.5"-2" gap at the bottom for cold air return) I have onlyhad them for a few weeks. But they are doing what they are designed to do. Also have a temperature monitoring system. So I can watch what the temps are in the kids bedrooms at a glance.

http://www.ventingdirect.com/broan-512-room-to-room-utility-ventilatory-90-cfm-3-5-sones/p417804

Attachments

• Broan.jpg
    Broan.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 391
  • Oregon.jpg
    Oregon.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 392
Thank you....that fan you put a link for....how is it powered? Does it have a regular 110 plug or does it need to be wired into the house electric with a controller? I'm looking for something that can just plug in.

petergriffon said:
Thank you....that fan you put a link for....how is it powered? Does it have a regular 110 plug or does it need to be wired into the house electric with a controller? I'm looking for something that can just plug in.

This model is wired in the wall. Has to be in the same wall cavity as a wall outlet. Pretty simple. You cut a hole for the fan, cut a small hole for the switch/box, then feed the Romex down the wall cavity and you will see it through the hole you made, then loosen the outlet and pull it out, shove more wire down till you see it at the outlet hole. Make connections and easy peasy..

If you want plug in models. Suncourt makes one, Broan may make one (not sure), there is another company that has a model that can be wired or plugged in (i know spelling is gonna be wrong) trejland airshare (I think).

Do a search for "airshare" and it will come up or do one on "through the wall fans" in the search section at the top of the page. Lots of info.

Someone suggested the fans.. Blowing cold air to the room will work better tuan trying to get the warm air out to the cold. Cold air is denser and will "find and replace" the warm much more efficiently than trying to get the hot air to to the same thing. So try taking one fan and putiing in farther back in the house blowing to the doorway, and have the other in the doorway blowing at the stove. Basically reverse what your doing now, but move one fan farther away. Blowing the cold air from the floor to the stove. Do that and see if you get different results.

Dexter
Does the fan look the same on the other side? Also can that fan be put on a dimmer switch?

kykel said:
Dexter
Does the fan look the same on the other side? Also can that fan be put on a dimmer switch?

When you buy it from ventingdirect. It recommends a variable switch. I put a dimmer in. Although running on a low fan speed is not recommended by me nor good for the motor. I dont run mine below 50%.. Yes its the same on the other side and in the manual, its states can be painted to match your decor. Have the extra paint. Have not done so yet.

There switch is like $20 when a standard dimmer from HD can be had for $4 on the low end or $11 for the one I bought.

Attachments

• inside.jpg
    inside.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 318
Dexter
Thanks for the info. It looks great in the wall. Might try one one of these days

Thanks so much Dexter. I have a couple more questions.

The link you originally gave me was for a 90cfm fan. I plan on putting 2 of them in, spaced about 5ft apart, over the entrance to the rest of the house. I'm worried that 90cfm won't be strong enough. Do you think 2 of the 180cfm model will work better, or will it just cool the air down too much? I figured with the speed control switch i could drop the fan speed down a bit...but not sure if it's worth it to get the bigger one. The room that the stove is in is about 800 sq ft and gets very warm.....so I want to pull as much heat as possible out of it. Not sure if I need 2 smaller fans (90cfm), 2 bigger fans (180cfm), or just 1 big fan.

http://www.ventingdirect.com/broan-511-room-to-room-utility-ventilator-180-cfm-4-5-sones/p417803

Because I have no experience with them, I cannot comment. But double the size is double the air. Our Master Bedroom and bathroom are connected and open to one another (took double french.doors down when I re-drywalled) and together it is a lot of space. The one 90 does a really good job of this area.

Double the fan size is double the amount of air. For that money, I would look into the wall cavity "Airshare" models. Where you can put the intake down low on the wall and push that air out up top im the other room. But either way and I am sure it will helpin getting some of your warm air out of there.

Only having experience with my set-up may not help with yours. My home is very open to begin with. Every room has at least an 8ft opening (except bedrooms/standard doors) My Quad is located in the center of my house. So getting air to either end is the same distance (house is 70 ft wide).

The fans are very simple to install. Instructions are easy to follow. I bought a 6" hole saw that made very short work of the hole for the fan.

Good luck. Keep is updated on what you get and even better, how they work.

DexterDay said:
Because I have no experience with them, I cannot comment. But double the size is double the air. Our Master Bedroom and bathroom are connected and open to one another (took double french.doors down when I re-drywalled) and together it is a lot of space. The one 90 does a really good job of this area.

Double the fan size is double the amount of air. For that money, I would look into the wall cavity "Airshare" models. Where you can put the intake down low on the wall and push that air out up top im the other room. But either way and I am sure it will helpin getting some of your warm air out of there.

Only having experience with my set-up may not help with yours. My home is very open to begin with. Every room has at least an 8ft opening (except bedrooms/standard doors) My Quad is located in the center of my house. So getting air to either end is the same distance (house is 70 ft wide).

The fans are very simple to install. Instructions are easy to follow. I bought a 6" hole saw that made very short work of the hole for the fan.

Dexter, how is the fan's noise level?

xraycer said:
DexterDay said:

Dexter, how is the fan's noise level?

I guess it depends on what you used to? My Wife and I sleep with the ceiling fan on High Every Day.. We ran the little corner doorway fans prior to installing these Broan's. Those little suckers were loud. One was a 2 speed model, but the other 2 were single speed.

So. After being accustomed to that noise, these seem dull in comparison. But remember, we like the "White Noise" . I have to have noise to sleep.

If you are just getting into pellet stoves, then the sound of your stove may be loud to you.

We run them a little over half speed. Do they make noise? YES. Read the reviews for the 511 and 512 model. Some say there noisy. But most say they are a good fan.

Moving the air is one of the harder things to do when heating with a pellet stove. We dont NEED the fans. The house is open enough to get by without. We like the temps to be even throughout. So we run a couple ceiling fans on low during the day and the through the wall fans at night.

Everyones house is different. Just keep in mind. What worked for one, may not work for another.. But... It may work and Work Better.

Good luck and if anyone gets the larger 180 CFM model, keep us updated.

Not to hiJack...But Dexter, talk to me about that temperature monitoring system. Looks like an Oregon? I need something that I can place in various rooms to show temp and humidity. Thanks

Eatonpcat said:
Not to hiJack...But Dexter, talk to me about that temperature monitoring system. Looks like an Oregon? I need something that I can place in various rooms to show temp and humidity. Thanks

Yep. Oregon Scientific.

http://www.OregonScientificStore.co...ic-+ECO-Clima-Control-Weather-Monitor.product

Works great. With the fans in the rooms, we can a really even temp. This pic was from yesterday evening. (Normally keep it 75, but it isnt cold enough/the colder it gets, the warmer we keep it) Stat on stove is set to 72 w/ a 2 degree swing. I have terrible handwriting, especially when written small and with a Sharpie.

Oh and there is 42 bags of American Wood Fibers in Akron on Craiglist for $100. Works out to be $2.38 a bag.

Now back to your regular scheduled programming ........

Attachments

• roomtemp.jpg
    roomtemp.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 141
Status
Not open for further replies.