NEW Pellet Stove Owner (Harman Absolute 63) NOOB questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Lifeline25

Dec 11, 2018
Eastern, US.
Hi All!

We are new to Pellet Stoves and just got a brand new Absolute 63 installed today. It is a corner installation with a 45 degree out the back, a pass through with the clean air intake integrated, and a 4 foot riser on the outside of the house.

I have a few newbie questions:

1) As the stove is running I see some pellets getting trapped between the auger and the burn pot and as such, there are roughly 6"-8" flames at times shooting out the back sides of the burnpot sideways. Is that OK?

2) Our house has wired smoke detectors, the kiddie ION detector kind. I've hand to unplug them all because the ones near the pellet stove keep going off. When they first started the stove up the house was a little hazy but the dealer said this was common and was the paint and first time the stove was getting hot, baking off the chemicals (makes sense). But the stove has been running several hours now and even though the smell and haze is gone the smoke detectors still don't like this thing. What should I do?

3) The absolute 63 is actually a little big for the house and as such: more often than not it's more of a smoldering flame than a full fledged fire. Any tips for how I should adjust the feed rate, fan speed, etc? The house is well insulated and has no problem maintaining temp, but I also wonder about how the unit will handle a small smoldering flame all the time.

Thanks!

Hi All!

We are new to Pellet Stoves and just got a brand new Absolute 63 installed today. It is a corner installation with a 45 degree out the back, a pass through with the clean air intake integrated, and a 4 foot riser on the outside of the house.

1) As the stove is running I see some pellets getting trapped between the auger and the burn pot and as such, there are roughly 6"-8" flames at times shooting out the back sides of the burnpot sideways. Is that OK?

2) Our house has wired smoke detectors, the kiddie ION detector kind. I've hand to unplug them all because the ones near the pellet stove keep going off. When they first started the stove up the house was a little hazy but the dealer said this was common and was the paint and first time the stove was getting hot, baking off the chemicals (makes sense). But the stove has been running several hours now and even though the smell and haze is gone the smoke detectors still don't like this thing. What should I do?

3) The absolute 63 is actually a little big for the house and as such: more often than not it's more of a smoldering flame than a full fledged fire. Any tips for how I should adjust the feed rate, fan speed, etc? The house is well insulated and has no problem maintaining temp, but I also wonder about how the unit will handle a small smoldering flame all the time.

Thanks!

I've had the Absolute 63 for a couple years now, great stove. Here are my thoughts on each of your questions:

1) I'm not sure what you mean by between the auger and burn pot, can you show a picture? The flames when the stove is in full operation mode and not cooling down or starting up should be straight up and a few stragglers at the top. Have you checked to make sure the flame guard is properly on the burn pot?

2) There will certainly be burn off but I'm surprised you are having issues with the smoke detectors. Do you also have carbon monoxide detectors as well? I'd imagine if this is burn off it should be good by tomorrow but if they are still going off I'd check with the stove shop that installed for leaks.

3) The only issue I've found with this stove at low temps, mostly during shoulder season, is minor issues with creosote. It's much easier to maintain this stove when it's being under utilized. I'm heating around 2,400 sf with this stove (sometimes I open up the other side of the house so it can handle up to 3,800 sf) and sometimes get overfed as the stove tries to maintain temp on colder days. In those situations, I've reduced the max feed rate in those situations but I don't really make any adjustments when it's being underutilized and really have no problems.

Hi All!

Thanks!

1) As the stove is running I see some pellets getting trapped between the auger and the burn pot and as such, there are roughly 6"-8" flames at times shooting out the back sides of the burnpot sideways. Is that OK? Yes, normal.

2) Our house has wired smoke detectors, the kiddie ION detector kind. I've hand to unplug them all because the ones near the pellet stove keep going off. When they first started the stove up the house was a little hazy but the dealer said this was common and was the paint and first time the stove was getting hot, baking off the chemicals (makes sense). But the stove has been running several hours now and even though the smell and haze is gone the smoke detectors still don't like this thing. What should I do? Let it burn in a day or 2. Should be fine.

3) The absolute 63 is actually a little big for the house and as such: more often than not it's more of a smoldering flame than a full fledged fire. Any tips for how I should adjust the feed rate, fan speed, etc? The house is well insulated and has no problem maintaining temp, but I also wonder about how the unit will handle a small smoldering flame all the time. Raise you temp up and keep your feed rate generally between 3-4 or about an inch of ash on the lip with no pellets overflowing.

Also, read the how your Harman works in the sticky, there’s a lot of great information in there! Welcome aboard!