New property means new saw.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tlhfirelion

Feeling the Heat
Aug 6, 2007
Buying some land, will be processing a lot of trees, both standing dead, Feld and cutting some down. In my area it’s almost all red oak. I have been using a little a Stihl the past few years and it’s fine, but obviously underpowered for the task. I’m not brand loyal, I just want speed and reliability.

What brand, model and bar length would you folks suggest I look at?

Thank you.

Buying some land, will be processing a lot of trees, both standing dead, Feld and cutting some down. In my area it’s almost all red oak. I have been using a little a Stihl the past few years and it’s fine, but obviously underpowered for the task. I’m not brand loyal, I just want speed and reliability.

What brand, model and bar length would you folks suggest I look at?

Thank you.
Need to know how big are the trees you are gonna be cutting.

Reactions: tlhfirelion
Need to know how big are the trees you are gonna be cutting.
It’ll be all sizes, but there are some 24”plus oaks. I could use my smaller Stihl for limbs and the like bit wonder about a 20” bar for rounds. Thank you for your reply.

Since you have a smaller saw already, I would go with a 70 to 75cc Stihl, Husky or Dolmar 7300. Sounds like a 20" bar would work but you could run up to a 28" if there was many trees in the 24" range. Me personally I would prolly get a 24" bar for what you sound like you'll be cutting. Still 044/440, Husky 372xp, or maybe a Dolmar 7300 in good used condition in the $500 range.

Last edited:
I’ll dig into this models and see what I can find, I’ll go new most likely. Thank you for the reply.

The 372XP would be on the top of my list because I have one:p. Nice saw. With the 24" bar you don't have to bend over as much.

The 372XP would be on the top of my list because I have one:p. Nice saw. With the 24" bar you don't have to bend over as much.
whoooo....nice saw and a hefty price tag from what Im seeing online. Most places are over $900 with taxes and all that. Maybe more than I care to spend.

I have a Stihl 261 and 362. I can't complain about either one, but if I'm honest, I rarely grab the 362 over the 261. I happen to have a couple good Stihl dealers not far from me, so this helped to inform what brand I bought--though I haven't had any problems that a search on this site or https://www.arboristsite.com/community/ hasn't resolved. I did own a couple of other Stihl saws before this, one a homeowner grade and the other a farm/ranch grade. I won't ever own a non-pro saw at this point. There is a marked difference in quality and performance. So whatever brand you go with, I'd highly consider a pro saw--in my experience the extra cost is worth it (and I'm basically a cheap guy by nature).

I have a Stihl 261 and 362. I can't complain about either one, but if I'm honest, I rarely grab the 362 over the 261. I happen to have a couple good Stihl dealers not far from me, so this helped to inform what brand I bought--though I haven't had any problems that a search on this site or https://www.arboristsite.com/community/ hasn't resolved. I did own a couple of other Stihl saws before this, one a homeowner grade and the other a farm/ranch grade. I won't ever own a non-pro saw at this point. There is a marked difference in quality and performance. So whatever brand you go with, I'd highly consider a pro saw--in my experience the extra cost is worth it (and I'm basically a cheap guy by nature).

I do tend to go a little bigger than I need because overkill is good in my book. IF I can afford it, I'll go bigger than I need but there's a big price difference that may not make it affordable. Until a year or so ago I had no idea that Husqvarna made a pro saw. I assumed it was just lowes stuff for little tree limbs and the like. Apparently they make a good saw. If only Honda made chainsaws then I could have an entire line up of Honda. lol I need to stay at around $500 and if that won't get me a decent saw I guess I'll need to deal with that. So far my little $200 Still has done ok but it's wasn't used as often as this will be so I know i need to go bigger. Thank you for the reply.

I do tend to go a little bigger than I need because overkill is good in my book. IF I can afford it, I'll go bigger than I need but there's a big price difference that may not make it affordable. Until a year or so ago I had no idea that Husqvarna made a pro saw. I assumed it was just lowes stuff for little tree limbs and the like. Apparently they make a good saw. If only Honda made chainsaws then I could have an entire line up of Honda. lol I need to stay at around $500 and if that won't get me a decent saw I guess I'll need to deal with that. So far my little $200 Still has done ok but it's wasn't used as often as this will be so I know i need to go bigger. Thank you for the reply.

Your not gonna get a new saw that you need for $500.00. I wouldn't go new unless I was a pro using it every day anyways. Good used pro saws will last a non pro forever and the saws I reccomended above are some of the best of the best pro saws made. You won't be able to get anything close new for $500.00

Last edited:
Your not gonna get a new saw that you need for $500.00. I wouldn't go new unless I was a pro using it every day anyways. Good used pro saws will last a non pro forever and the saws I reccomended above are some of the best of the best pro saws made. You won't be able to get anything close new for $500.00

I have been asking around and had 2 small engine shops with good reputations recommended. So I emailed them to see if they had anything that might fit the bill. Hopefully I can get a good used pro saw. Might have to step away from Stihl but I'm not dead set on that brand.

image.jpeg This is my new 660, for what you are talking about I would look into this saw. I'm not saying you need to buy brand new. There are plenty of good used ones out there, and you can always find replacement parts. My father who is 62 uses this saw all the time. Since you have a smaller saw for limbing a big saw will come in handy. I just sold my used one a couple of months ago, so they are available.

Reactions: Ashful
Husqvarna makes tons of pro stuff. They have been around a long time and until relatively recently they only made pro stuff.

I am biased, but I can tell you that an MS261CM is awesome. I have an 18" bar but it can take a 20.

Reactions: Cast Iron
Another vote for Stihl, Husky, or Dolmar in the 70cc neigborhood. Bar length is up to you, but 24" should work good for almost everything. Just keep in mind, bigger bar = more expense including chains, slower cut speeds, more sharpening time, etc.

I'd do a quick assessment of your average tree sizes, and count how many of the large trees you have to help you figure out what bar size you need.

Long bars are great so you don't have to reach as much and rotate/change sides/or roll large logs, but they'll really slow down your saw, and too long and they feel nose heavy and unbalanced.

Might want to pick up and feel a few new ones at the store to see what length and balance feels best for you. Then watch CL, FB marketplace for a decent used one. I'm still not a fan of the new electronic saws, haven't had great results with them, but that's the way they're going.

Keep us posted.

Reactions: Jazzberry
Tadmaz I am a huge fan of the 026 series Stihl but it won't run a 20" blade in 24" pine let alone oak. I know I have a few of them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chas0218
There's a guy on ebay who sells rebuilt 372XP's for $500 (he's from Michigan). You really can't go wrong with this saw. I have a 365 Special which is the same thing but slightly smaller engine (65cc) and its handled everything I've thrown at it.

The build quality on a pro saw is much better as is the serviceability.

For most of your needs a 20" bar will be enough. For the bigger stuff you might need something larger, but not likely.

The little Stihl you have will come in handy for limbing.

Keep an eye on Home Depot every so often they sell off their rental units Mikita/ Dolmar- 64xx series that will pull a 20-24" bar full comp. Typical price range around $250 but you might have to put a couple bucks into it likely still come out less than $500- pro saw. 64xx series can be rebuilt to 7xxx size as the lower end is the same ( or at least they were).
Advice - find a reputable dealer that you like in your area- get what they service

Reactions: Jazzberry
A few years ago, I picked up a brand new Husky 357xp at the Booneville, NY show - huge discount, definitely sub $500, and plenty of saw for me. I have an 18" bar on it, and only cut a few cords a year, but should last forever until I either put it out of the way, under the loader tire, or forget to put mixed gas in it.

Just checked my sig - it was more than a few years ago, I guess! Time flies when you're cutting wood.

View attachment 227759 This is my new 660, for what you are talking about I would look into this saw. I'm not saying you need to buy brand new. There are plenty of good used ones out there, and you can always find replacement parts. My father who is 62 uses this saw all the time. Since you have a smaller saw for limbing a big saw will come in handy. I just sold my used one a couple of months ago, so they are available.

You can’t beat the 660, but you also can’t buy one at the OP’s price point. Even its predecessor, the old 064’s and 066’s bring $500 in good condition, and they’re 25+ years old.

I’ve been thinking about trading my venerable old 064 in on a 660, recently.

Reactions: heavy hammer
Not sure what a Husky 562xp costs right now but I love mine. I only have a 20" bar but I am more than sure it could handle more. I mostly cut hardwoods (oaks, hickories, walnut, cherry, ash) and it eats them up. For power to weight, everyone that picks it up loves it.

Ashful, in my opinion you will not be disappointed if you get a 660. Look around every now and then you can find one for a good price. If you are willing to spend a little more you can still find them new, just going to cost more. Everyone's situation is different I wanted a new saw, it took awhile but I was able to find one.

I traded my 064 for an 084 and it was a great upgrade for the mill but I man miss the 30+ year old 064. Its a special saw.

If you have some 24" oak, you might want to have a forester take a look and see if there is any value. Some (you may not be one of them) rush to cutting and lose quite a bit of money and cause unneeded labor.

Ashful, in my opinion you will not be disappointed if you get a 660. Look around every now and then you can find one for a good price. If you are willing to spend a little more you can still find them new, just going to cost more. Everyone's situation is different I wanted a new saw, it took awhile but I was able to find one.
I’d probably buy from my local dealer, who could take my 064 in trade. That gives me less leverage on price, but helps me avoid the hassle of selling the old saw to someone who could break it or hurt themselves with it.

I traded my 064 for an 084 and it was a great upgrade for the mill but I man miss the 30+ year old 064. Its a special saw.
The 084 is a beast, but not as fun to run. Slower chain speed for just chewing and chewing, without ever slowing up a bit, but the 064 is miles faster with a 30” or less bar. I had an 084 very briefly, try before you buy situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.