New Stove - Napoleon EPI3C or 1402 anyone own these??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikedahammer

Mar 25, 2013
VA
I went through a huge fiasco with an Enerzone Destination 2.3i and now that I have that cleared up I need to get a new stove and like the look of the Napoleon EPI3C.

Has anyone had any experience with either? I do not mind the 1402 I just do not like the surround that goes around the stove (so bulky).

I am trying to heat a basement that is about 1250 square feet that I just renovated and added all new insulation and framing and it would be nice for a unit to heat some of the upstairs as well (split foyer) but not as necessary since I have a heat pump.

I guess no one on this board has these stoves or they are not viewing the forums. I am leaving towards the EPI3C because of the styling. I hoping at least one person will chime in that they have it. I have google the crap outta of that stove but cannot seem to get any input good or bad. I even called Napoleon and they told me they have not had any complaints and their philosophy was no new is good news.

epi models dont have a blower option available,

Blower Kit Availableno

i'd personally lean towards the 1402- we've sold them in the past, customer satisfaction seems to be quite high

I think that is because the blower is standard. This seems to be what their webpage is saying.

"Complete with a removable painted black log retainer and a heat circulating blower, both the EPI3T & EPI3C are perfect heating solutions for your home or cottage."

The manual also shows the blower control. Looks like this is a case of poor web info.

Last edited:
Reactions: Heatsource
One caveat and potential bummer I can see with the new epi models is no ash lip. This is common with contemporary flush designs. Be sure to shut off the blower and thoroughly clean the hearth when emptying ash out of the stove or else it is going to get sucked right into the blower.

Last edited:
Enerzone Destination 2.3i is a 2.3 cubic foot firebox

The Napoleon EPI3C is a 1.5 cubic foot fire box.
http://www.napoleonfireplaces.com/b...rtified-modern-cast-iron-wood-burning-insert/

You would be more likely to get an all night burn with the 2.3.

Forum member USMC80 just installed a Hampton Hi300 insert 2.3 cuft firebox.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/frustrated.108446/

I like a feature of the Hampton as you can load North/South and East/West with 18" splits. Nice feature for an insert.

Last edited:
So either unit will most likely heat the space. The 1402 is less cool looking, but has a square 2.25 cf firebox. This is better for loading NS when desired, and will provide longer burn times. Honestly, I used to have a 1.7 cf Napoleon 1101 insert and I really liked it. That unit would heat that space as well. So I'm pretty sure that you will be happy with either unit.

Ive got a 1402. LOVE it, especially it was delivered to my door for under 1900$. 2nd season done, and its living up to my expectations. I get about 7-8hrs of good heat out of a full load, and keeps my downstairs where it is high 70's, and upstairs high 60's (raised ranch). 1400sq ft up, 300 sqft down. 18" is the MAX split size if your going to load it N to S. This is how I load, and I cut my wood anywhere from 16-18. 16's just easier to load and you don't have to be fussy with it, say you load a 18.5 or 19 in there, you don't want to be taking it out half on fire if it doesn't fit. 19-20 will fit if you load E-W. The surround is kinda big, bit that because theres two fans on either side of it, vs. some other units that just use one. Any questions just ask.

Reactions: Trooper
Status
Not open for further replies.