New-to-me Firelight issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
webby is a stove pro, he does this for a living. But on my own three Firelight 12's, two of which came from the same prior owner and the third was purchased on ebay, I had no trouble removing that bolt on any of them. You're supposed to remove that bolt at LEAST once per year for proper cleaning, and I'm sure there are some who don't, but I'm surprised to hear you need a torch every time. You sure that wasn't a typo, webby?
No typo.
I service one for a guy every year, last time I got the bolt out, I replaced it with a new factory bolt. Had to use the torch each time I’ve serviced it. I can’t remember any that came out without a torch.? We don’t work on a lot of them though. Just a few left in our area.

I twisted out the extractor to have a look: the head of the bolt is indeed bent upward to a degree that I'm not sure whether I can resume drilling. I may take another look at it, but I think it's time to call it a day and shop around for a new one -- I have a feeling the next step is chiseling off the bolt end, and very drilling out the bolt, and at this point it doesn't seem worth the money.

As I mentioned up top, there is a repaired crack running down the left side of the stove -- if the stove got that hot, is it possible that's how the bolt got seized?

At any rate, comments are welcome, meanwhile I'm heading back to the other thread.

I agree it’d be best to get yourself into a newer stove, if you plan on burning regularly. I put more effort than I should into keeping my trio (then pair) of Firelights going, and I regret the time and money I threw at them.

Reactions: webby3650