New to Wood Stoves . Recommendations?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cbhopper

Nov 17, 2022
Michigan
Hi all--I'm new to wood stoves, but have wanted one for a long time. We live in SE Michigan in a 1300 Sq. Ft. 1950s brick ranch. We are hoping to replace the gas insert we have with a new stove (rear flue up the existing chimney). Our goal is to supplement our furnace and utilize the 26% tax credit. The dealer offered us two models--the Vermont Castings Dauntless and Encore--as they have these in stock and they qualify for the tax credit. I keep reading VERY mixed reviews on Vermont Castings. What do you all think? They also carry Jotul, which I believe are better based on what I've read, but I don't know the lead time.

There is another dealer nearby that offers:

Kuma
Blaze King
(do they have rear flue models?)
Hearthstone
Osburn
Quadra-Fire
Vermont Castings

I've reached out the other dealer, but would love to know if any of these brands should be the top of my list.

Thanks!

Neither of those two. Pick on e of the other three. The BK will exceed your expectations, The Qudrafire is a good choice as well as the osburn

for you smaller footprint I'd lean into kuma 1st, havent heard anything bad about them and the inserts seem to be built like tanks, they offer two types, I'd try to go with the bigger one personally.

There are no rear-exit flue models in the BK, Quadrafire, Kuma, or Osburn lines. The Green Mountain series Hearthstone stove may the best choice.
We are hoping to replace the gas insert we have with a new stove (rear flue up the existing chimney).
That could be a show-stopper right there. Is this a gas zero-clearance fireplace?

If it is a suitable fireplace why not just get an insert that's mean to go in a fireplace?

We are trying to avoid the noise of the fan, but are open to it.
Fair enough. There just aren't many good options for rear vent on the market now.

Fair enough. There just aren't many good options for rear vent on the market now.
I'm finding that to be the case.
There are no rear-exit flue models in the BK, Quadrafire, Kuma, or Osburn lines. The Green Mountain series Hearthstone stove may the best choice.

That could be a show-stopper right there. Is this a gas zero-clearance fireplace?
The local dealer that came out to quote us for install, etc. did not mention any issues with the old gas insert. I've been looking at the Castleton (https://www.hearthstonestoves.com/product/castleton/) from Hearthstone which looks like it could work. I know little of the brand, but no one seems to be trashing it like they do with the VCs.

Is this a gas stove inserted into a masonry fireplace or a zero-clearance gas fireplace? Please post a picture of the fireplace so that we see what the dealer is seeing.

Hi all--I'm new to wood stoves, but have wanted one for a long time. We live in SE Michigan in a 1300 Sq. Ft. 1950s brick ranch. We are hoping to replace the gas insert we have with a new stove (rear flue up the existing chimney). Our goal is to supplement our furnace and utilize the 26% tax credit. The dealer offered us two models--the Vermont Castings Dauntless and Encore--as they have these in stock and they qualify for the tax credit. I keep reading VERY mixed reviews on Vermont Castings. What do you all think? They also carry Jotul, which I believe are better based on what I've read, but I don't know the lead time.

There is another dealer nearby that offers:

Kuma
Blaze King
(do they have rear flue models?)
Hearthstone
Osburn
Quadra-Fire
Vermont Castings

I've reached out the other dealer, but would love to know if any of these brands should be the top of my list.

Thanks!
Run do not walk, run away from Vermont Castings.

Is this a gas stove inserted into a masonry fireplace or a zero-clearance gas fireplace? Please post a picture of the fireplace so that we see what the dealer is seeing.

First of all, thanks to everyone for all of the questions and information. I had no idea how much I didn't know.

Talked to another dealer today and he said Kuma insert would be a wise choice. He mentioned that the unit can actually be installed out from the surround (up to 12"). He has recommended that people who don't like the blower fan noise use the non-electric heat fans and place them on that extended flat surface. Wouldn't that limit the effectiveness? Isn't the blower helping to circulate air around the firebox?

He also had some hearthstones with a rear flue option.

Here is a photo of the existing unit as well as the dims for the fireplace.

Height: 29"
Width (@opening): 33.75"
Width (@rear): 28"
Depth: 21"

Fireplace.jpg fireplace2.jpg

First of all, thanks to everyone for all of the questions and information. I had no idea how much I didn't know.

Talked to another dealer today and he said Kuma insert would be a wise choice. He mentioned that the unit can actually be installed out from the surround (up to 12"). He has recommended that people who don't like the blower fan noise use the non-electric heat fans and place them on that extended flat surface. Wouldn't that limit the effectiveness? Isn't the blower helping to circulate air around the firebox?

View attachment 303111
View attachment 303115
Ok that absolutely is a traditional fireplace and should be suitable for an insert or stove. The fans that run on heat really won't do anything they are a novelty. But if you extend it out it should heat much better without a fan. But I would still install the fan for really cold periods

cbhopper, you are right about a lot of negative reviews on vc stoves. That said, Im going for it and just put some money down on the dauntless. It has all the features and asthetics that I want and I will take my chances. Personally, I pay attention to reviews but they do not hold significant weight for me. If this thing turns out to be a POS, I will get rid of it and get something else. Wont be the first time I have wasted a few bucks.

Reactions: a59cheffy
I honestly don't know anything about that stove. How is it working for you.
Great. It was installed in early November. But then again I’m a fan of Jotul. We had a Jotul Kennebec insert for 11 years prior to the Greenville.
I was a little disappointed in the install though as the installer used the stove top vent but if he used the rear vent with a ”T” pipe (also easier stovepipe cleaning) the stove could be sitting out on the fireplace hearth more. I may have this fixed next year after burning season. I should have said something during the install but I’m just learning all this stuff.

I’m really happy with the quietness of the blower on my Drolet. On low it’s not noticeable. On medium it’s quiet and only do I get unwanted noise when it’s above medium high almost 100% but I have 5 kids sooooo. You can probably install a larger insert than stove if size matters.

Kuma has a catalytic converter. Decided if you want one or not.

Personally I’d like to see more people choose the F55 over the F45 for a fireplace install and get the blower.

I have a VC Encore 1994 I've gone through the whole thing this summer to bring it back to life. Other than the looks, i dont like it very much. I still cant get a good long burn while throwing heat out of it. The stove is either ripping or smoldering and its a huge pain trying to get the CAT to work correctly at the correct temperature. They are just too complicated to run, but they sure are pretty stoves, i have a blue enamel one. Now that they dont make too many enamel colors i dont see why anyone would buy one.

I'm looking hard at the Blazeking Ashford for next winter. From what i read on here its a very simple stove to run, basically get a hot fire with some coals and turn a knob. Set it and forget it. Plus not many members have any issues with them and they have been around a while I feel like they are the elite stoves on the market.

The Kuma Cascade LE insert is a good recommendation. They have a solid reputation and being a small shop, their customer support is excellent. It is a catalytic stove but so are Hearthstones these days. I would definitely get the blower option for those colder days when you want to move a lot of heat.

My VC encore looks great. Brown enamel. It's seated in a traditional fireplace like yours. Top vented though. It is definitely not a set and forget stove. I would prepare for a long learning curve and lots of trial and error for a process that works for you. That being said it heats my whole house and burns overnight with no issue. 8-9 hours if it's loaded the right way

Reactions: Thickgirl
I have a VC Encore 1994 I've gone through the whole thing this summer to bring it back to life. Other than the looks, i dont like it very much. I still cant get a good long burn while throwing heat out of it. The stove is either ripping or smoldering and its a huge pain trying to get the CAT to work correctly at the correct temperature. They are just too complicated to run, but they sure are pretty stoves, i have a blue enamel one. Now that they dont make too many enamel colors i dont see why anyone would buy one.

I'm looking hard at the Blazeking Ashford for next winter. From what i read on here its a very simple stove to run, basically get a hot fire with some coals and turn a knob. Set it and forget it. Plus not many members have any issues with them and they have been around a while I feel like they are the elite stoves on the market.
Agreed we bough a VC Dauntless Flexburn, we absolutely hate the stove, its so fussy and it always seems starved for air! We are trying to sell it and get a Blazeking. Run away from the VC stoves.

Reactions: Ant428
When I bought my first stove it was a VC Encore, non-cat. What did I know?! Over the past 18 years the stive and I have come to a gentlemen's agreement; it will do what I need it to do as long as I treat it the way it needs to be treated. Depending upon the moisture level of the wood (we only burn maple) I can get a 9-10 hour overnight burn. As said above its not load and forget, but it's look and history makes it a keeper.

My VC has it's pluses and minuses. On the plus side the flue connection can be changed from back to top, mine's old and that's how they were made back then. It's worked out for me as I've moved it from one house to another and changed the flue exit to adapt. The grates and removeable ash pan are a great setup, burning wood is dirty and that makes it a little neater. I like the top load, I like standing up more then bending over, for me it's easier I've had both. I can get an 8 hr. burn without the cat and 12 hr. with. Without the cat I can run you out of the house with the heat output but the chimney gets very dirty and requires frquent cleaning. With the cat it's a cooler longer burn with a cleaner flue. You can't beat the looks, mine is just cast iron black.
The minuses are the controlling of the cat, walking the line between over fire and getting heat in the room. The real downside if you buy new is zero customer support from the manufacturer, you better find a really good dealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.