New to wood stoves - what am I missing?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BrianK

Hi folks,
I've been reading the forums since starting to look at stoves last fall. I'm not a complete neophyte to wood burning. We heated my parent's home with a Buderus wood boiler for ten years when I was a kid, and I spent a lot of time cutting, splitting, stacking, stoking, etc., but that was thirty years ago.

I was on a tight budget, so I started searching Craigslist and other local online sources such as PennsWoods.net for used wood burners. When I stumbled across a wood stove in my price range, I'd research it (to death) here and elsewhere. I pretty quickly decided I wanted a soapstone wood stove. Frankly, my wife and daughter wanted a fireplace (fireplaces are so much more "romantic") and they rebelled at the thought of a big black hunk of steel or iron in our living room.

When I started showing them photos of soapstone stoves, they softened in their opposition to a woodstove considerably. But they still wanted an open, crackling fire.

The week before Christmas, I found a blue Woodstock Fireview only 45 miles away. The gentleman bought it ten years ago and used it only occasionally to heat a family room. He removed it and put in gas logs, and was asking $1000.

I bought it for $950 in very nice condition, loaded it up, and ordered a new cat from Woodstock over the cell phone while driving it home. I ordered the Woodstock rear shield and stack shield after analyzing my install.

A local chimney sweep gave me an estimate of $3200 to install a class A chimney, which seemed outrageous, so I picked up all the Supervent parts last week at Lowes. I printed out Menard's price list, and Lowes matched it all (~$1000 total). A friend who works in HVAC volunteered to help me install it, and I checked with my homeowners insurance to make sure I wasn't running afoul of my carrier.

I set up the scaffold Saturday morning, had all the parts ready, and my friend and I started assembling the flue Saturday at 2:30pm. We were done with the major work by 5:30. We have a two and a half story house, went up four feet from the back of the stove with black pipe, 2 feet horizontal black pipe, through the wall with the Supervent through wall kit, up two 36" segments, offset 30 degrees to get around a 2 foot overhang, another 36" segment as a diagonal, another 30 degree offset back to vertical and a final 36" above the overhang, with a rain cap. My HVAC buddy knew how to tie everything in properly at the roof line.

After triple checking everything, I realized vertical stove pipe clearances were fine, but my horizontal section of stove pipe was only 16" from my ceiling. So I attached the stove stack shield to that section which came with the stove rear shield I bought from Woodstock.

We went ahead and made our first burn Saturday evening around 8:00.

This thing is awesome! And its so comfortable, easy to run, and "pretty" that my wife and daughter have decided they really like it after all.

fireview.jpg

We have an oak wood products manufacturer locally, and they sell the ends they cut off for firewood, so I picked up a large utility trailer load (6 1/2' x 10' with 2' sides, almost a cord) of "ends" two weeks ago. Its all kiln dried small stuff, 2x2, 3x3, 4x4, in lengths ranging from 3 to 12 inches. I built a 4'x4'x7' bin in my basement inside my old house's coal chute and loaded it in:
wood+bin.jpg

This wood burns really nice, and leaves behind very little ash. A friend also gave me a cord of nicely cut and small split mixed oak, white ash, walnut and cherry. Half of it was seasoned a year, the other half six months. The year old wood also burns nicely, but not as clean and hot as the kiln dried wood.

The stove heats up to any temp I want it to using the draft. Once I accidentally left the draft open too long, and it got up to 700. Its dead simple keeping it running constantly 450-550. At night I set it between 0 and 1, and its still 300 in the morning, with enough coals to start another fire. The flue hasn't gone over 450 (and only got that high once when I accidentally left the draft open too long and the top of the stove hit 700) and generally sits on or below the line separating "creosote" and "burn zone/comfortable" at 250-275.

I didn't do any "break in" burns as the stove was used for ten years. Maybe I should have?

My primary concern is the height of the class A chimney above my roof line, and the 30 degree offset. I only went three feet above the roofline, which is 4/12 pitch, and the chimney is already 4 inches out from the roof due to the spouting. I received two different "professional" opinions, on the necessary height above my overhand. One said 3ft, one said 5ft. However, I have a leftover 36" section of Supervent which I am considering adding. (We didn't take down the scaffold yet.)

The Supervent instructions stated to never use an offset on an exterior application. However, the certified chimney installer included a 30 degree offset in his estimate, the same as we did. Is there a reason not to do a 30 degree exterior offset?

The stove has good draft, no back puffing, lights and burns easily, responds to draft adjustments quickly, and is heating this 1600 sq ft house just fine.

Considering all the problems I read about wood stoves online, this just seems too easy, and I'm wondering what I'm missing.

I suspect the biggest contributor to our "success" so far is this load of kiln dried hard wood, and this sweet little Fireview stove.

Nice looking stove. Welcome to the forum. Of course the standard advice is to go get your wood for next year and the year after that if you have room for it. Sounds like you're off to a great start.

Welcome
Don't think you are missing anything I can think of::

You joined "Hearth.com forum: (check)
Good stove: (check)
good chimney : (check)
good draft: (check)
you know you need good dry wood: (check)
You're getting next years wood ready a year before you need it: (check)
You get good heat & save on the heat bill (check)
Everyone like the warm cozy wood heat (check)

Maybe get 2 years + ahead on your wood supply, especially on the red oak, so it can season well before burning it.

If you now notice:
1. others in your area have stacks of wood that you never noticed before,
2. trees that need cut into fire wood as you drive around
you've hit a "home run" LOL :lol:

Thanks for the welcome. This is a great forum. It's already been very helpful, even before my first post.

I can see how these stoves and all that goes with them could become addicting.

I'm already trying to figure out how to cook on the Fireview, and thinking about what accessories I "need" next.

You got it right, its the kiln dried lumber thats key. 80 percent of the issues on here could be fixed with wood like that.

Glad your liking it, Woodstock makes nice stoves for sure.

Does the top of your chimney satisfy the "3-2-10 rule?" If Supervent says no 30s, I'd go with that. Your insurance isn't going to pay unless the install is done correctly.
It's recommended that you burn a low fire at the beginning of the season to slowly get rid of any moisture that the stone may have absorbed over the Summer, so that you don't crack a stone.
How much do they get for a cord of those scraps?
I've been running this Fireview about a month and am enjoying the stove a lot.
With this warm weather, I'm getting a huge pile of rounds that need to be split and stacked. Maybe I won't have to work as much in the bugs and heat this Summer. :)

BrianK said:
My primary concern is the height of the class A chimney above my roof line, and the 30 degree offset. I only went three feet above the roofline, which is 4/12 pitch, and the chimney is already 4 inches out from the roof due to the spouting. I received two different "professional" opinions, on the necessary height above my overhand. One said 3ft, one said 5ft. However, I have a leftover 36" section of Supervent which I am considering adding. (We didn't take down the scaffold yet.)
I'm no authority on installs....but I would imagine there would be some sort of "Code" on how high above the roofline....you could check with your local building inspecter

3-2-10, if you're not familiar, means the top of the chimney has to extend 3' above the roof penetration, and 2' higher than any point of the structure within a 10' radius. That's from NFPA 211, if you're interested.

Supervent says no exterior offsets. Not all brands are the same. The install quote that you got was probably with a different brand of chimney system.

Yes, everything about heating with wood is much easier when the wood is good and dry.

Looks nice, by the way. I'm sure the rest of your family will be like mine. Standing in front of the stove is the first duty of the morning, followed by a shower, followed by more time standing in front of the stove. I have to get up extra early, or I get stuck at the end of the line. I live in a house full of females as well.

All I can see that's missing is stuff on the hearth pad, lol. You know, fireplace tools, ash hod, cricket...

Seriously though, sounds like you're off to a great start. If your brand of pipe says no offsets, I imagine there's a reason and you'd do best to follow it-did you get a building permit (or need one)? Everything on our install had to conform to the MFG's requirements to pass inspection after installation.

What are you missing? All of the character-building life experience. Here's how it is usually done:

1. Buy some firewood from a guy in a pickup who swears it is "seasoned."
2. Burn a cord (really 1/5 of a cord even though you paid for a whole cord), swearing the whole time about how poorly your stove works and how you should have spent the money on a Harley.
3. Hire a chimney sweep from craig's list who will pretend to sweep the chimney, charge you $150, and tell you to burn a beer can once a week.
4. By that time spring will be here and you can forget about the stove and firewood until mid-December. Repeat steps 1 thru 3.
5. After several years look back on the whole experience philosophically and grow as a person.

Woody Stover said:
How much do they get for a cord of those scraps?

They charge $25 for a pick up load. When I went there with my 6 1/2' x 10' utility trailer with 2' sides (130 sq ft?), I assumed they would charge more, but they only charged $25. The guy operating the front end loader filled it up & said the weight would be 1500 lbs minimum.

jeff_t said:
3-2-10, if you're not familiar, means the top of the chimney has to extend 3' above the roof penetration, and 2' higher than any point of the structure within a 10' radius. That's from NFPA 211, if you're interested.

Thanks. We're going to go ahead and put on the extra 36" piece on Saturday. That will put us well over the 3-2-10 standard, if we're not already.

BrianK said:
jeff_t said:
Thanks. We're going to go ahead and put on the extra 36" piece on Saturday. That will put us well over the 3-2-10 standard, if we're not already.

You just answered what I was going to recommend. It all sounds good to me, even the offset, since it is obviously working great as it is. Around my area, with gusty winds a lot of the time, you would end up wanting the chimney a bit higher. I was going to advise you to either install that extra section of pipe or keep it in the garage in case you find you need it. Around here anything less than four or five feet above the ridge line, minimum, regardless how far from the pipe it is, and you can get problems from winds. However, your draft is already good, as evidenced by the burns you get. You are fine. I would add that pipe, can't hurt. Good job saving a couple grand on installation, too. Nothing wrong with a guy making a profit, but that price sounded very high to me.

Wood Duck, Thats funny as Heck, LMAO.

Maybe somebody knows Selkirk's reasoning for not permitting exterior offsets, but I don't. You can do it in the attic, but not outside. Other manufacturers allow it. Your chimney isn't installed to manufacturer's specification, so in the event of an 'issue', you may be on your own as far as your insurance company is concerned. Just something to think about.

BrianK said:
jeff_t said:

If you add that additional 36", it must be braced at the 5ft level. It's going to put additional leverage on the 30's that are already in violation of the mfgs. design. Supervent's installation is explicitly clear about this, in caps and in multiple places - NOTE: NEVER OFFSET AN EXTERIOR CHIMNEY. There's no way around this without a written blessing from Supervent for you system, or eliminating the offset or replace the pipe with a different mfg's pipe that is designed for exterior 30's. Exterior pipe is vulnerable to many more forces than interior piping like wind, ice and snow, airborne branches, vermin, etc.. The elbows and support system need to be designed to stay safe here. If I had to guess the difference between this and other brands is that Supervent does not feel there is an adequate way to lock elbow rotation for a guaranteed safe rigid pipe structure with this pipe.

Is this going around a soffit or an eave? Is there anyway you can go straight up and eliminate the offset? Post a picture.

http://www.selkirkcorp.com/supervent/product.aspx?id=220
page 8 -
If the overhang is not deep enough to allow the chimney to be fully installed within the overhang, it will be necessary to cut into it. DO NOT INSTALL OFFSET TO
CLEAR THE OVERHANG! Ensure that a 2" clearance all around the chimney is respected.

Attachments

• 10-3-2 rule.jpg
    10-3-2 rule.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 1,111
BeGreen said:
If I had to guess the difference between this and other brands is that Supervent does not feel there is an adequate way to lock elbow rotation for a guaranteed safe rigid pipe structure with this pipe.

Is this going around a soffit or an eave? Is there anyway you can go straight up and eliminate the offset? Post a picture.

Yes, it is going around a 20" eave with a 4 inch drain spout, for a total of 24".

My preference was to go through the eve, but the chimney installer recommended the offset. He was pricing the job using Olympia class A chimney pipe. I guess Olympia permits the offset. Since the chimney installer included the offset in his bid, I assumed it was a standard practice. It wasn't until I was reading Selkirk's instructions that I realized it might be a problem, so I thought I'd ask here. My friend that does HVAC didn't see a problem with it, as it is a common practice in the industrial flues he is used to working with.

The Selkirk instructions about the offset have been nagging at the back of my mind since we installed it.

The Selkirk elbows do not have a locking ring, so as to permit small adjustments during installation. I assume that is the reason they do not permit exterior offsets.

BrianK said:
Hi folks,
I've been reading the forums since starting to look at stoves last fall. I'm not a complete neophyte to wood burning. We heated my parent's home with a Buderus wood boiler for ten years when I was a kid, and I spent a lot of time cutting, splitting, stacking, stoking, etc., but that was thirty years ago. I was on a tight budget, so I started searching Craigslist and other local online sources such as PennsWoods.net for used wood burners. When I stumbled across a wood stove in my price range, I'd research it (to death) here and elsewhere. I pretty quickly decided I wanted a soapstone wood stove. Frankly, my wife and daughter wanted a fireplace (fireplaces are so much more "romantic") and they rebelled at the thought of a big black hunk of steel or iron in our living room.

When I started showing them photos of soapstone stoves, they softened in their opposition to a woodstove considerably. But they still wanted an open, crackling fire. The week before Christmas, I found a blue Woodstock Fireview only 45 miles away. The gentleman bought it ten years ago and used it only occasionally to heat a family room. He removed it and put in gas logs, and was asking $1000. I bought it for $950 in very nice condition, loaded it up, and ordered a new cat from Woodstock over the cell phone while driving it home. I ordered the Woodstock rear shield and stack shield after analyzing my install.

After triple checking everything, I realized vertical stove pipe clearances were fine, but my horizontal section of stove pipe was only 16" from my ceiling. So I attached the stove stack shield to that section which came with the stove rear shield I bought from Woodstock. We went ahead and made our first burn Saturday evening around 8:00. This thing is awesome! And its so comfortable, easy to run, and "pretty" that my wife and daughter have decided they really like it after all.

We have an oak wood products manufacturer locally, and they sell the ends they cut off for firewood, so I picked up a large utility trailer load (6 1/2' x 10' with 2' sides, almost a cord) of "ends" two weeks ago. Its all kiln dried small stuff, 2x2, 3x3, 4x4, in lengths ranging from 3 to 12 inches. I built a 4'x4'x7' bin in my basement inside my old house's coal chute and loaded it in:

This wood burns really nice, and leaves behind very little ash. A friend also gave me a cord of nicely cut and small split mixed oak, white ash, walnut and cherry. Half of it was seasoned a year, the other half six months. The year old wood also burns nicely, but not as clean and hot as the kiln dried wood.

The stove heats up to any temp I want it to using the draft. Once I accidentally left the draft open too long, and it got up to 700. Its dead simple keeping it running constantly 450-550. At night I set it between 0 and 1, and its still 300 in the morning, with enough coals to start another fire. The flue hasn't gone over 450 (and only got that high once when I accidentally left the draft open too long and the top of the stove hit 700) and generally sits on or below the line separating "creosote" and "burn zone/comfortable" at 250-275.

I didn't do any "break in" burns as the stove was used for ten years. Maybe I should have?

The stove has good draft, no back puffing, lights and burns easily, responds to draft adjustments quickly, and is heating this 1600 sq ft house just fine. Considering all the problems I read about wood stoves online, this just seems too easy, and I'm wondering what I'm missing. I suspect the biggest contributor to our "success" so far is this load of kiln dried hard wood, and this sweet little Fireview stove.

Welcome to the forum Brian.

The chimney questions have been answered good for you. On the stove, you have found out why I so highly recommend the Fireview and Woodstock as a company. Should you ever need help with that stove, call Woodstock for sure.

Sounds like you have some really good wood to burn. The only thing I'll suggest with those cut-offs is to be very careful that you do not over fire the stove. It sounds as if you have came very close to doing it already.

CAUTION: You brought up the point of "accidentally left the draft open too long." This can not be stressed enough that you do not accidentally do these things! Most times it is because wood was put into the stove and then whoever was doing it, left the room. That should not be done! Stay with the stove until you have everything under control. As you know, with a cold stove it is best to get the stove top to 250 degrees (200 for a steel cat but I still find higher is better) and 400 flue (I find a bit over 400 is better but that is measured on a single wall pipe). On reloads, 10-15 minutes usually is enough if you have a coal bed and good wood. Sometimes you may have to go longer and sometimes shorter. Makes sure the wood is being charred a bit before dialing down the draft.

On the draft, definitely draft full open before you open the firebox door. Cat dis-engaged. Put wood in, close door and wait. When the time is up and some wood charred, try closing the draft to between 1 and 2 and engaging the cat (then do not change the cat until you reload). After 5-10 minutes then you close the draft more but do not close all the way. Most folks find 1 or slightly above 1 to work well. On our stove we find .75 works for most times. You'll quickly find the sweet spot for your installation. You may notice some difference in draft setting depending upon the weather.

One more thing you will find out is that if you burn the stove with no flame, the top of the stove might heat up a bit too much. If so, open the draft a little bit to get some flame. This will also drop the stovetop temperature but you will be getting more heat out the sides of the stove. Remember, if the stove gets to 700, give it some more draft!

Good luck.

Thanks for everyone's prudent advice.

I ran up to Lowes this morning and picked up the through the roof kit. We'll be eliminating the 30 degree offset this morning and going through the eaves (my gut instinct, should have done it in the first place), and then a total of 5 feet above the roof line to satisfy the 3-2-10 rule, with a roof guy/support.

(Does anybody need 4 Selkirk Supervent 15 degree elbows, hardly used, cheap? Now I have a spare rain cap too.)

Backwoods Savage said:
On the draft, definitely draft full open before you open the firebox door. Cat dis-engaged. Put wood in, close door and wait. When the time is up and some wood charred, try closing the draft to between 1 and 2 and engaging the cat (then do not change the cat until you reload). After 5-10 minutes then you close the draft more but do not close all the way. Most folks find 1 or slightly above 1 to work well. On our stove we find .75 works for most times. You'll quickly find the sweet spot for your installation. You may notice some difference in draft setting depending upon the weather.

One more thing you will find out is that if you burn the stove with no flame, the top of the stove might heat up a bit too much. If so, open the draft a little bit to get some flame. This will also drop the stovetop temperature but you will be getting more heat out the sides of the stove. Remember, if the stove gets to 700, give it some more draft!

Good luck.

Is it necessary to dis-engage the cat when loading wood? Is this because the temp in the wood box drops enough from loading wood to prevent the cat from functioning properly?

I had not been dis-engaging the cat when loading up to this point, but if that is recommended, we'll start doing so.

Yes it is necessary Brian. If you do not do this, you are sending all the smoke and evaporated water up through the cat. That moisture will kill the cat fast. Woodstock recommends 10-15 minimum time after reloading before engaging the cat. Sometimes you need longer but most times that is enough time. If the wood is starting to char, it is usually okay to engage the cat. For sure you need to have a thermometer on the stove and best if you also have one on the flue.

With a ceramic cat the recommended stovetop temperature is 250 degrees (measured at the center of the stove top). Flue temperature (single wall) would be 500. If a steel cat, then the temperatures would be 200 and 400. However, I still have better luck using the 250 stove top and go 400-500 flue with the steel cat.

This brings to mind: have you cleaned the cat at all? If you need some help on this, just give a holler.

Backwoods Savage said:
Yes it is necessary Brian. If you do not do this, you are sending all the smoke and evaporated water up through the cat. That moisture will kill the cat fast. Woodstock recommends 10-15 minimum time after reloading before engaging the cat. Sometimes you need longer but most times that is enough time. If the wood is starting to char, it is usually okay to engage the cat. For sure you need to have a thermometer on the stove and best if you also have one on the flue.

With a ceramic cat the recommended stovetop temperature is 250 degrees (measured at the center of the stove top). Flue temperature (single wall) would be 500. If a steel cat, then the temperatures would be 200 and 400. However, I still have better luck using the 250 stove top and go 400-500 flue with the steel cat.

This brings to mind: have you cleaned the cat at all? If you need some help on this, just give a holler.

Thanks Dennis. We will follow this advice from this point forward.

I put in a brand new stainless cat when I bought this stove last month. The prior owner had never changed it in the ten years he had used it. He didn't feel he had used it frequently enough to justify replacing it. He suggested replacing it when I bought the stove and I called Woodstock and ordered one while driving home with the stove the day I bought it.

We took out the 30 degree offsets today and went straight up through the eaves. Continued the flue a total of 7 feet above the roof level. My HVAC buddy fabbed a heavy duty roof brace out of stainless U channel. Everything is rock solid. We have 4 ft of single wall stove pipe inside before exiting through the wall, with 18ft of Supervent outside, straight up, and it is drawing/heating up even better now.

My hat is off to you Brian for not hesitating to do it right. It's hard pointing out errors to folks, so I have to look at the long term safety and performance that comes from following the book. You have a safer and easier to clean installation now and I have more peace of mind. Thank you! Plus you have a nice stove for years to come. Enjoy the warmth!

I fully agree with BG. Brian your diligence to have this install be correct and proper is to be commended. That is a beautiful stove and it deserves a proper install. Good work. Now go get some wood for next year.

DaFattKidd said:
I fully agree with BG. Brian your diligence to have this install be correct and proper is to be commended. That is a beautiful stove and it deserves a proper install. Good work. Now go get some wood for next year.

Thanks all :exclaim:

I was going to pick up another trailer load of the kiln dried oak ends this morning, but that got put off due to the chimney modification. They sell it every other Saturday, so I'll be back there for another trailer load then. Its a 100 mile round trip, but even after spending $30 in gas (my Expedition gets 12mpg pulling the trailer), that's less than $60 for almost a cord of kiln dried oak.

I'm seriously considering a cheap metal 10'x8' shed (~$300) just to store this kiln dried wood. I figure if I put sheets of plywood around all the inside walls, tie them into 4"x4"s inside the corners, and put a 3' sheet across the doorway, I should be able to stack it 3/4 full of this wood, 2-3 cords worth. I wonder if the sides would hold up to it reinforced that way?

Status
Not open for further replies.