New toy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

schwaggly

Burning Hunk
Sep 23, 2009
n.shore ma
Against everyone I knows advice I bought a small tractor today. It is a Steiner 420 with there version of a front loader called a slip scoop. I like it, price was rght 00v0v_4rC8QtiOwyI_600x450.jpg

I have heard that Steiner's where high performance, pricey lawn machines. That looks like serious machine, for what it is. I assume it's four wheel drive. Great if you have some wood hauling and other things you can do with it.

20 hp onan 4x4 heated cab bigass snowblower and plow. The bucket is small and only goes 2ft off ground. 3pt on rear, it has a fancy sander mounted on rear.

Attachments

• 20200323_162019.jpg
    20200323_162019.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 130
It looks like a machine schools would have to do sidewalks. Does use hydraulics to run the attachments? How did you find it?

Front hyrdo with Pto. That makes sense about schools. The snowblower was beat and poorly maintained. They ran it without scraper blade or side skids and wore down to bolt on holes. A good local dealer put it on craigslist. I love it!

Why did everyone you know advise you against buying it? What potential factors were they concerned about? Just curious what people were pushing against.

Reactions: SpaceBus
They were mostly concerned about maintenance upkeep cost ect.

Looks like a primo purchase to me...!

There is a dealer near us. We see quite a few and they have a loyal following

I want to put a winch on the back and forgo the sander. I will take a pic of wiring harness thingamajig to see if anyone can help the process.

I want to hook up red and black wires from a hf winch any suggestions?20200401_184452.jpg20200401_184438.jpg

Before doing that check you battery to make sure you have enough amperage to work the winch, secondly buy the other plug end and make up the plug the right way, or take apart the existing plug on the source side and get a test light or meter on it to check your wires, make a tight connection using rated connectors and heat shrink wrap, fold in any other unused wires and cap off the ends so the wires don't get ruined.

Reactions: sloeffle
Upon further inspection the 4 way appears to be red and black x2. It is powering 2 seperate electric motors on a snowex mini pro 575. I suspect I have plenty of juice for a small winch.
What is that round plug called?
My hope is that its not proprietary.

Upon further inspection the 4 way appears to be red and black x2. It is powering 2 seperate electric motors on a snowex mini pro 575. I suspect I have plenty of juice for a small winch.
What is that round plug called?
My hope is that its not proprietary.
That looks like a standard 4 pin trailer plug.
What gauge wire and what size fuse is it using? Winches can put a huge strain on the electrical system. What are the ratings of the potential winch?

I would run a new large power wire for the winchMaybe you can use the old wiring for the winch control.
Every electric winch i have used always comes up against the big load that is to heavy for the winch,but you keep on winching anyway because it is almost there...
Thats when the wires get hot and start to melt.Why risk losing your cool wee widdle loader to a $5.00 piece of wire.
Wire it right and with the proper fuses and relays then you will never have to do it again.

Reactions: D8Chumley
I would run a new large power wire for the winchMaybe you can use the old wiring for the winch control.
Every electric winch i have used always comes up against the big load that is to heavy for the winch,but you keep on winching anyway because it is almost there...
Thats when the wires get hot and start to melt.Why risk losing your cool wee widdle loader to a $5.00 piece of wire.
Wire it right and with the proper fuses and relays then you will never have to do it again.
That is the plan. I took sander off and mounted my triple ball trailer hitch into the 2" reciever then dug out a tow strap. With its compact size and 4 wheel drive I got the job done. I will take my time and do the winch in due time. Thanks for the info.

winch- several hundred amps at 12v #4 gauge or better size cable ( lower the # bigger the cable gauge wise). just for an idea a hydraulic plow system on a pickup will draw close to 400 amps.

This style connector is one of the best out there for higher amp draws, and they are available in varying sizes from 50 amps up to several hundred. Frequently used for portable winches, plows, electric forklifts, etc

We had 4 inches of slop on top of leaves, rather than spend the day unclogging an impeller I pushed it all away

Attachments

• 20201030_113702.jpg
    20201030_113702.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 118
We had 4 inches of slop on top of leaves, rather than spend the day unclogging an impeller I pushed it all away
It's Sooo Cute...()
I want one to hang off the mirror of my 980

• Haha
Reactions: D8Chumley