New wood burning survey

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Thanks for your thoughts! I have not taken a quantitative data class, I appreciate the recommendation.

As for previously published wood burning surveys, yes, we created this survey by looking at other surveys that had been published in academic literature and comparing the questions they asked, while keeping in mind the main goal of our survey - which is to inform our engineering design.
are you being funded or expected to receive funds from any government or political entity for the outcome of this data?

Are they looking for only Oregon wood burners or anyone burning with wood?

Are they looking for only Oregon wood burners or anyone burning with wood?
not sure, but i gave'm my 2¢ from Wisconsin.

1679940053831.png

Reactions: osu_heating
are you being funded or expected to receive funds from any government or political entity for the outcome of this data?
Yes, this project is funded by the US DOE and EPA. The intro blurb at the start of the survey states this so that people who take the survey can make the informed choice of whether or not to participate.

Reactions: bholler
Manufacturer of stove question should allow multiple stoves.

In which seasons do you usually cut or gather firewood?
Pennsylvania only has 2 seasons. Road Construction and Firewood. Most of us even gather during Road Construction.

Manufacturer of stove question should allow multiple stoves.

In which seasons do you usually cut or gather firewood?
Pennsylvania only has 2 seasons. Road Construction and Firewood. Most of us even gather during Road Construction. 😂
Good point, thanks! I will change that question to allow multiple answers.

If you share a description or a screenshot of the issue you encountered I'm happy to help troubleshoot or fix it on my end!
Second question in. First it asks about my heat sources. I choose three. Then it asks primary, secondary, and never. I make those three choices and it keeps sending me back to complete the question.

Hold on, I went back and chose "do not use" for all of the other heating systems and it let me through.

An improvement that needs to be made is to instruct the respondent to fill select "all that apply" or "choose the best answer" or something to help. The choices are clunky.

Last edited:
Second question in. First it asks about my heat sources. I choose three. Then it asks primary, secondary, and never. I make those three choices and it keeps sending me back to complete the question.
Alright. In this question you have to select an answer for every single heating appliance, even if you don't use it (in this case select either
"I don't use this" if you don't use that appliance or "neither" if you do use that appliance but it is neither your primary nor secondary heating appliance. If an answer for each appliance isn't selected, the survey will not let you continue. It's a tedious design but there wasn't another way to format this question.

Let me know if this helps!

Reactions: Highbeam
Alright. In this question you have to select an answer for every single heating appliance, even if you don't use it (in this case select either
"I don't use this" if you don't use that appliance or "neither" if you do use that appliance but it is neither your primary nor secondary heating appliance. If an answer for each appliance isn't selected, the survey will not let you continue. It's a tedious design but there wasn't another way to format this question.

Let me know if this helps!
That caught me the first time I tried too. Maybe add a brief guiding statement that each option needs an answer.

Just finished it. It was a long survey but, I feel like to really get a good grasp on how people heat with wood and their thoughts on it will result in a long survey as there’s so much information to get. I felt like it was very thorough

Got most the way through and then felt weird that they asked for pictures of my house and contact info.
Pics were not mandatory for me. I didn't upload any and was able to complete the survey.

Pics were not mandatory for me. I didn't upload any and was able to complete the survey.
Right not mandatory, my post was probably misleading with that.

Reactions: spuldup
"How did you learn how to use your wood stove?"

hearth.com!

survey.png

Reactions: weee123
Done, glad to add imput. The gubment would be best not to come down my driveway though. Not a fan

Reactions: Osage