New Wood Fireplace and Now Angry Neighbour

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Well, that sealed it for me. While I try very hard to be a good neighbor, and am in fact the first person most of them call in an emergency, this would be my "F-off" threshold. You are not going to find any compromise that makes this woman happy, so you're honestly wasting your time and worry even bothering with her. Someone who is only friendly and agreeable when every neighbor plays by "her rules" is not a good neighbor at all, and you don't need to accommodate them.

Burn away, there is really nothing she can legally do about it. If she's really as unreasonable as you suggest, it's unlikely any other neighbor will be too upset, or blame you for any stress you're causing this woman.
lol yea that would be kind of my f off point too. Honestly. But I wouldnt enjoy my fire knowing that rage queen next door is fuming and scheming to harass us by any means possible. Especially if she actually had health issues that bothered her. She should consider a whole house hepa based air filtration system if she is that sensitive to smells from the outdoors coming inside. I wonder if anyone else in the area burns, what do they do?

if I was going to light it this is how much kindling I would used. Notice it’s split small I’d have 4 smaller splits under it cross crossed log cabin style. And I’d use one of these or a weed burner.

Other thought could you get a small solo stove in there??

image.jpg

You might want to talk to the neighbors to make sure they know the steps you’re taking to try to limit any smoke as much as possible.
I like this suggestion, as well. It's very likely other neighbors have had similar problems with this woman, and would be understanding of your situation. Always better to have everyone on the same page, in such a close-quartered community.

Do you have an HOA?

How about inviting the other neighbors over for a fall get together/grilling? Invite her too. Light up the fireplace then. If she sees the rest of the neighbors enjoying it, it might curb her behavior.

How about inviting the other neighbors over for a fall get together/grilling? Invite her too. Light up the fireplace then. If she sees the rest of the neighbors enjoying it, it might curb her behavior.
You're a good neighbor, Limestone. Excellent idea.

Reactions: River
nice fireplace,
consider changing to a gas one, considering if I'm not mistaken it's not your main heat source

My nearest neighbor is about 120ft away from my house, they are older and dont mind my wood stove (they have a rumford fireplace) but I do occasionally ask them if they feel I have smoke issues just to keep an open line of communication. Who knows unless its asked of.

I
You're a good neighbor, Limestone. Excellent idea.
I think it’s more of I hate being told I can’t do something. Lol

nice fireplace,
consider changing to a gas one, considering if I'm not mistaken it's not your main heat source

They just spent 20 grand on this fireplace and because of an unreasonable neighbor who is unwilling to compromise they should throw that money away and put in something they didn't want? That's just ridiculous. I would go on burning as cleanly as I can. Make sure your wood is dry (which it probably isn't if you recently bought it) and burn hot fires. Doing so is perfectly reasonable. I try to be a good neighbor but only within reason. If you want to burn wood that is your right.

@kborndale
it is an open fireplace for recreational use, this makes me think that it will hardly work cleanly, I don't see any numbers displayed on the manufacturer's website, Therefore, It's easier for it to always smoke.
I speak for myself,
if I could spend that amount, I wouldn't be willing to have 2 year old wood, to burn clean, for recreational use, and having angry neighbors, probably, Anyway, at that point I would go on gas. I gave that suggestion because now it's still new and the seller can find a solution, understanding situation. The old woman could be a stranger, or our parent, or ourselves, If stinky smoke came from a neighbor who would tolerate it? If, however, it is a product that normally does not smoke, it is a different matter,
but I don't think this is the case.

@kborndale
it is an open fireplace for recreational use, this makes me think that it will hardly work cleanly, I don't see any numbers displayed on the manufacturer's website, Therefore, It's easier for it to always smoke.
I speak for myself,
if I could spend that amount, I wouldn't be willing to have 2 year old wood, to burn clean, for recreational use, and having angry neighbors, probably, Anyway, at that point I would go on gas. I gave that suggestion because now it's still new and the seller can find a solution, understanding situation. The old woman could be a stranger, or our parent, or ourselves, If stinky smoke came from a neighbor who would tolerate it? If, however, it is a product that normally does not smoke, it is a different matter,
but I don't think this is the case.
I spent the first half of my life on 0.75 acre, burning usually 3 open fireplaces at a time. No issues. The little bit of smoke they generate tends to go straight up, due to the low efficiency and massive amounts of heat up the flue. I suspect that, when burned properly with dry wood, the potential for a neighbor to smell smoke might actually be lower for a fireplace than for a wood stove. At least that was my experience, growing up.

Don't confuse efficiency with particulate output, or how smoke will linger close to the ground. Fireplaces are inefficient, but they are not more smelly to the neighbors than other woodburning appliances.

With an open fireplace you don't have the ability to cut down the air and smolder the fire which makes the worst smoke. An open fireplace with dry wood should not be smoking very much.

Reactions: Prometeo
We were at the kindling lighting stage when she called. Three pieces of dry, small kindling and newspaper. Maybe that wasn’t right. We went outside and DID see smoke at the stack so she wasn’t wrong about the smoke. We have a Tatiana suspended fireplace by JC Bordelet.

View attachment 318137
This is not a 24/7 stove but I can see wanting to burn in it nights and evenings. Tough situation. That style of open fireplace will never burn very cleanly. The particulate level will be high. Burning fully seasoned wood in short hot fires is about the best one can do.

FWIW we have a neighbor that put in a fireplace and the whole neighborhood knows when it's burning. I'm not sure if this is the wood being burned, or the fireplace designed, or just poor fire management.

What a nightmare. I am sincerely sorry to hear about this situation.
The wind is taking our smoke and whipping it all around the side of the house so I have no doubt she is smelling it.
I am a little surprised no one has suggested raising the outlet of your chimney. If the products of combustion can be made to avoid your neighbor's house, she would not be so likely to be troubled by it. It would not be a solution 100% of the time, but it might make it more tolerable for your neighbor -- and, hence, for you.
Burn away, there is really nothing she can legally do about it.
Bear in mind, she is in Canada. It might be possible, their laws are different than we are used to.

Reactions: Ashful
the big problem is the air exchanger .once it gets cold the windows will be closed but the exchanger will still be running.try biobricks they burn cleaner,might get lucky.

Definitely a bummer to read things like this. At the surface level, I do understand how some people are extremely sensitive to smoke. After reading through, she sounds like a my way or the highway type of person and not immediately willing to compromise.

In the past, I have dealt with folks who in order to de-escalate a situation, the situation needed to be escalated, in this case authorities called by the neighbor. Assuming what has been said is true, everything up to code, etc. I can't imagine there is much she can do other than annoy you and it would be a shame for a neighborly relationship to end that way but knowing it wasn't you is important. Don't let it ruin your beautiful setup.

Just wanted to post to say you are doing everything right it seems. I do agree with the posts saying to mention your steps to your neighbor - making sure the wood is dry, building good and successful fires (hopefully), and just being a responsible stove owner. If anything, if she comes on your property and stares at you to get your attention, to me that seems more wrong and intrusive than your smoke especially because she seems unwilling to compromise.

It's a shame, but an old saying, sometimes things have to get worse before they get better. I hope your neighbor realizes that part of being a friendly neighbor is to compromise. Hope things get better for you, and try to enjoy your beautiful room!

Reactions: Slimdusty
What is the pipe length from grate to cap? Looks like 15' is absolute minimum. Perhaps more could be added in this situation?

Operators' Manual directive page 15: Select therefore wood that has been air-dried under cover for at least two years and has a moisture content of 15% maximum.
That is straight out of the manual. A very stringent moisture content requirement indeed.
Certainly, adhering to this would reduce smoke output. Possibly to a significant degree compared to the wood you're currently burning?
What is the moisture content of the wood being burnt? Worth a look from the sounds of it.

Believe I'd source some pressed sawdust log/brick type fuel (these are very low moisture content) for a burn or two to have a fair comparison on smoke output compared to your current wood supply.

Good luck with everything!

What is the pipe length from grate to cap? Looks like 15' is absolute minimum. Perhaps more could be added in this situation?

Operators' Manual directive page 15: Select therefore wood that has been air-dried under cover for at least two years and has a moisture content of 15% maximum.
That is straight out of the manual. A very stringent moisture content requirement indeed.
Certainly, adhering to this would reduce smoke output. Possibly to a significant degree compared to the wood you're currently burning?
What is the moisture content of the wood being burnt? Worth a look from the sounds of it.

Believe I'd source some pressed sawdust log/brick type fuel (these are very low moisture content) for a burn or two to have a fair comparison on smoke output compared to your current wood supply.

Good luck with everything!
Good point about the dry wood. The manual specifying a max of 15% is a tough one. I have a hard time getting wood below 17 in SE CT with wood under cover.
In this situation, I’d say wood dried for one year is good.

We in this forum don't know much about the neighbor's history or current condition. Maybe she's just being difficult, or maybe there are reasons why accomodation is hard for her. Either way, it sounds like the OP prefers to remain on good terms with her if possible, for reasons that make sense to the OP. Perhaps it isn't possible, but the OP posted hoping for suggestions, not reasons to stop trying or reassurance that standing on legal rights is sufficient.

Agree with the idea of gentle encouragement, like invitations to dinner. Cook something tasty (to the neighbor) in the fireplace? Toast some bread? Might it help to buy her one or more HEPA + carbon air cleaners or build a C-R box? Explain the value the OP gets from the fire, and ask the neighbor to help find a solution short of an outright ban or neighborhood warfare? The Enervex filter mentioned above looks interesting. Maybe buring NIELS would help? If staying on good terms is important enough, then agree with the above suggestion about considering converting the fireplace to natural gas or propane.

How often does the wind actually blow in that direction? Is is plausbile to use the fireplace when it is blowing the other way?

That is not a reasonable person and you're never going to satisfy them. That sort of behavior is that of an entitled person who always gets her way.

You have a beautiful room and a very cool [sic] fireplace. Would be a shame to not use it.
@sneefy , thank you for your kind words. Our moisture meter arrives today and we will check everything. We also have the installer coming back to walk us through starting a new fire. Baby steps. If we are doing everything correct, all I can do as a good neighbour is call her to tell her we are burning. She won‘t like it but at least she can take precautions like turning off her air exchanger temporarily. 😞

Well, that sealed it for me. While I try very hard to be a good neighbor, and am in fact the first person most of them call in an emergency, this would be my "F-off" threshold. You are not going to find any compromise that makes this woman happy, so you're honestly wasting your time and worry even bothering with her. Someone who is only friendly and agreeable when every neighbor plays by "her rules" is not a good neighbor at all, and you don't need to accommodate them.

Note that my answer was completely different before reading this quote. If this were her first and only complaint, and she was an otherwise reasonable person, I'd be as upset as you seem to be over all of this.

Burn away, there is really nothing she can legally do about it. If she's really as unreasonable as you suggest, it's unlikely any other neighbor will be too upset, or blame you for any stress you're causing this woman. I think you're stressing because you think she's a nice lady, but again... only when you play by "her rules" for the neighborhood? Maybe she needs to move on to a different living arrangement, if she's not happy living around other families.
You’re right, of course. My upset is as a result of hating rancour of any kind. We are one of the newest neighbours (3.5 years) and I just hate making waves of any kind. I guess being her friend first is what makes it difficult. She was literally pleading with me while crying to “stop” the fire. I was thinking, “where do I go with this?” I mean she is 83 and I felt like I was killing her in that moment. We did stop the fire, by the way. Just until we’re sure of everything. I had forgotten about last fall until just now. She pays a team of people to come rake her extensive forest of all the leaves (takes a team of three about 3 full days as the side of her house is a groomed forest with paths). She called me a few days later asking me to please take care of my lawn now because the wind was taking my leaves over to her side. Of course we did. We didn’t want to upset her further. This is who I’m dealing with (and drink lemonade with). This isn’t ending well. GAH.

Reactions: Ashful

Note that my answer was completely different before reading this quote. If this were her first and only complaint, and she was an otherwise reasonable person, I'd be as upset as you seem to be over all of this.

Burn away, there is really nothing she can legally do about it. If she's really as unreasonable as you suggest, it's unlikely any other neighbor will be too upset, or blame you for any stress you're causing this woman. I think you're stressing because you think she's a nice lady, but again... only when you play by "her rules" for the neighborhood? Maybe she needs to move on to a different living arrangement, if she's not happy living around other families.
@Ashful, I don’t disagree with you. I know I’m right. But being right isn’t what I’m after. I will feel ill every time I light this new fireplace unless I know we have done everything possible. But even then, if she calls me crying and I KNOW our fireplace is producing even a small amount of smoke, I will stress about it. Telling me not to (like hubby always says) won’t work with me. But I did see some great suggestions about filters. I’m researching that now. That’ why I love this forum. It’s making me think outside (my) box.

Reactions: NHWS and Ashful