New Wood Shed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Autorotate

Apr 16, 2014
Phila
I am ready for my second year of burning.

The first mistake I learned last year was trying to burn semi-wet wood at the end of the season when I was looking everywhere for "dry" wood. Thankfully I now have a tree landscaper that drops his cut down trees at my shop. The first thing I wanted to do was get rid of my old enclosed aluminum shed that I stored my wood in and get something fairly large, breathable, and stable. I went with an Amish built 8x16x8 stained wood shed. It is to be delivered this Friday. Last year I burned around 3.5 cords for the year. I hope by next year I will have enough room to dry one season as I am splitting for the following year.

I am a winter forum guy. I usually lurk around here all winter long.....And bother everyone with my newb questions....haha. WoodShed.jpg

Shed looks like a good investment ... did you get yourself a moisture meter too?

Shed looks like a good investment ... did you get yourself a moisture meter too?

Thank you very much. I did get a good moisture meter very late last year. Thanks to this forum I also learned to not just check the ends of the wood, but split and check the middle. Another lesson learned. Now I am trying to figure out how to identify all this cut wood so I know what everything is.....

Reactions: Lake Girl
Pics of bark, end cuts, leaves if available and a shout out for wood ID ... lots of folks with knowledge of lots of varieties... just not me;em I'm still learning too but I burn pellets so it's more of a hobby.

Reactions: Autorotate
That is one snazzy shed. ;)

Reactions: Autorotate
Very nice! Similar to the one I built this spring, except I went with an overhang. I'm anxious to put it to use here soon!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    418.2 KB · Views: 191
I am ready for my second year of burning.

The first mistake I learned last year was trying to burn semi-wet wood at the end of the season when I was looking everywhere for "dry" wood. Thankfully I now have a tree landscaper that drops his cut down trees at my shop. The first thing I wanted to do was get rid of my old enclosed aluminum shed that I stored my wood in and get something fairly large, breathable, and stable. I went with an Amish built 8x16x8 stained wood shed. It is to be delivered this Friday. Last year I burned around 3.5 cords for the year. I hope by next year I will have enough room to dry one season as I am splitting for the following year.

I am a winter forum guy. I usually lurk around here all winter long.....And bother everyone with my newb questions....haha.View attachment 161178
Damn, I lived in worse in my early 20's.

Sorry it took me a while to respond. The great Pope visit had me quite occupied.

The price was $1700 from the Amish. That was for my specifications and also stained. That includes taxes and delivery to my area.

Webby, very nice. I just did not have the time to start a new project like that. Much easier to have it built, but less rewarding.

Status
Not open for further replies.