New Wood Splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If I can lift it (most rounds) its faster for me to split horizontal. I have a method crackin' rounds that works well for me. If I cant lift it alone, I'll roll up a few huge rounds, 1/4 'em ,then go back to horizontal. With my particular back issues, lifting & standing is MUCH less painful than sitting and leaning forward....even the seat in my p/u leans back as far as it can go!! I would LOVE to sit and split, I just CAN'T. Do whatever works best for you. Thats why this is 'the Land of the Free'. ;-)

LLigetfa said:
Backwoods Savage said:
It just does not make sense to have to pick up each block of wood and lift it up onto a horizontal splitter...
There you go again insulting us, saying we are senseless.

To each his own. To me it makes no sense to be sitting and reaching your arms and twisting your back in unnatural motions.

Even though I am a newbie, I have to say, after cleaning up the massive southern red oak that fell on our house, I will be splitting in the vertical position. I picked up enough logs after that incident. I would rather tip or roll a log than lift it, and lift half or less when it is split.

I said I would post some more photos, so here they are.

Attachments

• DSCN2222-2.jpg
    DSCN2222-2.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 201
  • DSCN2223.jpg
    DSCN2223.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 213
  • DSCN2224-1.jpg
    DSCN2224-1.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 215
wood-fan-atic said:
If I can lift it (most rounds) its faster for me to split horizontal. I have a method crackin' rounds that works well for me. If I cant lift it alone, I'll roll up a few huge rounds, 1/4 'em ,then go back to horizontal. With my particular back issues, lifting & standing is MUCH less painful than sitting and leaning forward....even the seat in my p/u leans back as far as it can go!! I would LOVE to sit and split, I just CAN'T. Do whatever works best for you. Thats why this is 'the Land of the Free'. ;-)

Same here, wood-fan-atic. My back screams at me if I sit for even a couple minutes at the splitter. It's like Dennis says, whatever works for each person is the right way for them. I can lift and stand for hours while splitting but sit me down and I'm in agony. I still would never own a splitter that does not go vertical. I split some 48" diameter rounds and no way could imagine a horizontal only splitter.

WVOz said:
I said I would post some more photos, so here they are.

WVOz, that is one extremely handsome and well built looking splitter. I have splitter envy!

Status
Not open for further replies.