Newbie Jotul Stove Install Options

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexander L

Oct 31, 2014
SoCal Desert
Hi all! Total newbie to wood stoves. I bought a small cabin in the Southern California mountains, and I am in the process of renovating the little place. It had a fireplace insert, but the insert provided little heat and was also the source of water leaks/damage to the inside of the cabin . The insert has been removed and the wall has been closed.

The cabin has low 4 foot tall finished half-walls that transition to a steep pitched gambrel roof (tongue & groove on inside).

I purchased a Jotul F100 stove. The F100 can vent out the top or out the back, so I was hoping I could put the stove in front of the same spot where the old insert was, and vent out the back of the stove, passing through that wall using a through-the-wall chimney/thimble kit.

I did have a chimney installer out for a consultation and I was told that because of my wall and ceiling layout, I had to either go directly out the back and through the wall... or I had to go up through the roof, but a through-the-roof install would require a series of interior stove pipe bends because of the pitched wall (clearance to combustibles?)... otherwise the stove would have to sit near the middle of the room to go straight up and out. Honestly... I prefer not to cut through the ceiling/roof, anyhow.

Can I safely vent directly out the back of the stove and into a thimble as I was told? Using the 1/4" per foot rise for the short horizontal run from rear stove outlet to the thimble? I basically want to get the stove as close to the wall as clearances will permit, rather than have the stove sit in the middle of the room. The room is only 11 feet wide. I plan on finishing the wall behind the stove with ledgestone. The cabin is a 440 sq. ft. 1+1... If I lose a little heat by venting out the side wall, I should be fine considering the minimal square footage.

Here are some pics of the cabin interior to give an idea of the half-wall and roof-line. I also included a Jotul pic showing the stove venting out the rear, and placed close to the wall... well, it may be faked for the product literature, but you get the idea.
Appreciate any advice! Thank you!

Before pic of living room with ugly mustard paint and old insert (insert has been removed):
c1

Exterior walls... same throughout house. Basically a long, narrow box car cabin.
c2

What installer told me I could do:
c4

Jotul pic... I like this look:
c5

The top vent option will draft better due to the chimney being inside most of the way. Exterior flues are not ideal as you will see all over these forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.