Newbie looking for advice for first small saw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not lieing, Dex comes across some smoking deals and will pass them on time to time. The 545 I'm talking about sold this last week for $320ish that was what he paid so as he said he was charging $320 for a saw shipped to your house , he was actually loosening shipping on it. Hold on. Let me get a pic of that saw. I'll be back.

Ok here is the saw Dex sold last week for $330. Granted it needed a bar and chain bit I think he said he would throw one in for another $20 ?

I'm only putting this up to show the quality of some of the saws he has. He gets ones that are not as pretty. He tells you exactly what's wrong and the price reflects the condition. I think he sold an 036 last week too there were pics of the cylinder off the saw as well. Total diss assembly on the older ones to assess condition. This saw here is basically new.
uploadfromtaptalk1391534203688.jpg

He sold this saw for 40% off the new price . Its an auto tune model which many dont like but it means you never have to fool with car settings.

He also just traded his 550xp he had that had never been in wood , which he traded a never been in wood jonesered 2050 or whatever the same model as the 550 is. Basically he got the 550 for trade on his new jonesred. Now he has traded the 550 for a stihl 460. That makes his second 460 he has now and I think he currently has 2 036's and think he just sold one this week.

I also know he is working a deal right now on an 036 somewhere and if you let him know he may just put u in touch with the guy ?

Just mention my name and that you have been pointed his way and think an 036 would serve you well .

The guy is as close to a friend to me as one can get having never met the person. But we have exchanged a few items before.

Last edited:
Ok I'm not trying to sound pushy , but this is what I would do if I were you. But I'm not , but I know a few guys and have some experience, I'm trying to guide you how I would go about buying a saw.

one of the best things for MS170 is resale values... used MS170 routinely sell on craigslist for $160 .. that's insane when a brand new MS170 sells for about $20 more. get the MS170 now, use the crap out of it, then sell it when it's time to upgrade.

MS170 due to smaller pico chain cuts faster than it's tiny motor size would indicate.

don't get me wrong, you are better off getting a used pro saw in good condition instead of a new home owner saw. but MS170 is a good one .. actually stronger than MS180 due to lack of fast chain adjustment feature.

started with a tiny Sears top handle saw that you just couldn't kill. now I'm a bonified chainsaw nut with a slew of pro saws.

Reactions: clemsonfor
I see the ms170 on CL listed for $130-170, never knew they sold for that considering a $179.99 price with a 2 yr warranty if u buy the oil ??

I agree with a lot of what these guys are saying but I'm going to give my opinion as I am just a regular home owner. A great first saw is the echo 18" at Home Depot for $299. I would not get anything smaller personally, my first year I bucked approx. 5 cords of wood with it, I went through 1 chain which was only 20 bucks and it is still in great shape. If you mess up the saw within the first 90 days you could always exchange it. If I ever get a new one I will up grade to a 20" stihl that is more prograde, but now I'm 3-4 years ahead so that becomes less important to me.... But good luck..

Hey Big scott PM me right now I got a lead on you for a saw . Lots a brand new looking 50cc husky rancher series saw 4 years old . Comes with a bar 2 chains $230 shipped to your house. Serious its there now . Send me a pm I'll point u in the direction.

can't believe you guys can get a MS170 for that price. In Australia they are $399........upload_2014-2-7_13-53-44.png

What does a 660 cost !!!

Ouch , there $1150 wish plus tax which here is 7%. That comes with the 25" or 36" bar depending on dealer ??

At least yalls come factory with the dual port muffler and larger carb !

Sounds like there is room to make a profit shopping to australia ! Want a saw ?

newbie looking for advice for first small saw

In no particular order -

1) Don't get a small saw. Get something that is at least 50cc if you intend to cut your own firewood. A small saw dramatically limits what you are able to cut because they simply do not have the reach.

1A) A lot of people seem to be under the impression that small saw = safe saw. This is not the case. If you are thinking small saw because you think it will be safer you are thinking in error. Small saws are not inherently safer.

2) Don't be a cheap skate. You will never wear out a good saw. Re-read that last sentence. Buy a good saw. If it turns out that cutting wood is not for you good saws retain much of their value (even after years) so you won't be out much.

3) If you buy new, buy a Stihl

4) If you buy used, buy a Husqy

5) Become a proficient hand filer

Yep. I would third red which is why I'm pointing you to the husky I have found. I now won't use a 50 check saw to slow for me. My first was 62cc and I think that is minimum. I still dont own a 50cc have several 45cc . But I think 70cc plus is the sweet spot in saws. I love the rebuilt ms650 I have. Its the baby brother to the 660 only with a smaller piston/cylinder. Its still at 84cc the 660 is 92cc ? Correct me if wrong on the 660? It may be 93?

Great post, Redd... but why buy Husky, if used? I did the exact opposite: one new Husky and two used Stihls. I'm very happy with both Stihls.

Think because a used husky is cheaper ??? I dunno

As a general rule, Stihl saws tend to maintain more of their value if you need to sell them. It doesn't mean that Husqvarna saws are lesser machines, but it's just the way the used marketplace is. There are exceptions, of course.

Wow, thanks for all the input gang :) I have the wife onboard with a used saw in good condition, and even got the budget up a bit higher with a bit of compromising and an unexpected tax refund . . . maybe $250 - $300 for the saw now.

I may have a deal working to trade in a like-new snowblower for credit toward a saw at the local Stihl shop (he does SBs, lawnmowers, and such too). I'd called and mentioned that I'd been convinced to go for a bigger saw and wanted to stop by and get my hands on a few bigger saws to get a feel for the weight and all, and when I mentioned about getting a used one over the internet the owner said he has several he's taken in trade if I was talking about a bigger saw, just not any of the smaller ones. I'm heading up there Monday to see what kind of deal I can get with the trade-in.

When I go in, with what's been said so far, it's looking like my low-end should be a 50cc with a 16" or 18". We plan to have the stove in the house as our primary heat, with the furnace just as a back up, when we get the house next year. With the floor plan we've go our hearts set on, an open concept raised ranch around 2000 sq ft, with the stove either set in or replacing the fireplace which sits just about dead center in the house between the two large rooms the builder estimated a modern soapstone stove like the Hearthstone Phoenix model we looked at would go through around 4 or 5 cords a season here on average, maybe less depending on the site we build on (hills versus field). It sounds like a 50cc is gonna be a better starting point than the smaller ones for that kind of cutting and bucking, especially the first year or two when I'm cutting extra to get a few years ahead. If I can't find something I like there I'll give Dex a try and see what he can come up with instead.

...when I mentioned about getting a used one over the internet the owner said he has several he's taken in trade if I was talking about a bigger saw, just not any of the smaller ones. I'm heading up there Monday to see what kind of deal I can get with the trade-in.
Just so we're clear... I would not go with a "big" saw, or you'll soon grow to hate it. I would stick to mid-size (50 - 70 cc) saws, and something new enough to not weigh a metric ton. The 62cc 036 I had originally suggested is very close to the ideal weight/power compromise for most wood cutters. Guys who do a lot of bigger stuff prefer the 044 (eg. Bigg_Redd), which is more saw for close to the same weight, but waaayyyy out of your budget around here. I bought my 036 (62cc) and my 064 (85cc) for not much more than I'd pay for one 044 in good shape at any local shop.

The only reason I specify this is that you can find truly big saws (056 mag's, 064's, 066's) around here for $300, if you're not picky on cosmetics. I would NOT go with a saw that big for my primary saw.

In an ideal world, you'd find a 360/1/2 for $300, but that will be tough. The 036 is sort of the sweet spot at $300 in good shape, and it's truly a pro-grade saw. There are so many 036's on the market, that I can't ever see not being able to get parts for them, both OEM and aftermarket.

Last edited:
Great post, Redd... but why buy Husky, if used? I did the exact opposite: one new Husky and two used Stihls. I'm very happy with both Stihls.

Husqies don't seem to retain they're value on the used market the way Stihls seem to. Saw for saw there's not much difference in new price, so if you buy new you might as well buy the one that retains value - if you buy used you might as well buy the one that lost value.

I posted a new thread for a sale on saws. If you do get a Husqvarna saw without a bar I'll help you out. I have a new 20" Husqvarna bar and chain I'll send you for a few bucks to cover the shipping.

Well, saw plans are on hold thanks to a nice repair bill for the truck . . . without a working truck the saw is useless, so it takes priority. Hopefully not too long of a delay though

Status
Not open for further replies.