Newbie needing recommendations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TNCave

Feb 4, 2009
TN
I just found the site yesterday and have been scouring the wealth of information here. Thank you hearth.com members!

We are hoping to close on a new home very soon and the first order of business will be a new wood stove.
It will be freestanding as there is no chimney or current wood heat source, just ancient propane heaters which must go.

The house is 1320 sq. ft, 972 downstairs and 348 upstairs. Avg. insulation, old single pane windows, but with good storm windows. Good tight storm doors as well. The house is in the middle-east...of TN, where the winters aren't too bad, rarely below 25 for extended periods.

We have a great local dealer which carries Blaze King, Regency, Pacific Energy, and Hearthstone. I really like the performance and efficiency of the Blaze King, but doubt I can talk my lovely wife into it's utilitarian appearance. I'm leaning towards the PC Alderlea T5, but the regency F2400 looks better on paper. There's a T5 on the floor that I believe I can get a deal on.

Do you think the T5/F2400 will be sufficient? Differences to consider between the two? Are there major advantages of the BK that may help persuade my lovely wife who spends her days in the home and has to look at the thing all day?

Any recommendations will be appreciated.

Cory

TNCave said:
I just found the site yesterday and have been scouring the wealth of information here. Thank you hearth.com members!

We are hoping to close on a new home very soon and the first order of business will be a new wood stove.
It will be freestanding as there is no chimney or current wood heat source, just ancient propane heaters which must go.

The house is 1320 sq. ft, 972 downstairs and 348 upstairs. Avg. insulation, old single pane windows, but with good storm windows. Good tight storm doors as well. The house is in the middle-east...of TN, where the winters aren't too bad, rarely below 25 for extended periods.

We have a great local dealer which carries Blaze King, Regency, Pacific Energy, and Hearthstone. I really like the performance and efficiency of the Blaze King, but doubt I can talk my lovely wife into it's utilitarian appearance. I'm leaning towards the PC Alderlea T5, but the regency F2400 looks better on paper. There's a T5 on the floor that I believe I can get a deal on.

Do you think the T5/F2400 will be sufficient? Differences to consider between the two? Are there major advantages of the BK that may help persuade my lovely wife who spends her days in the home and has to look at the thing all day?

Any recommendations will be appreciated.

Cory

The T5 would do a great job.. Pacific Energy makes a great stove the knife edge seal and the stainless baffle box are two great features and the stove is not only functional but is a good looking stove.Not to familiar with the Blazeking but I have heard nothing but good things from people who have used the Pacific Energy.. Good luck you will enjoy what ever wood stove you buy.

At ~2 cu ft, you're in the right size range for a stove. The mid-size PE is a good proven performer. The Regency is also a good stove. Get the one your wife likes the best.

I found this video that many here have shared, very helpful ... and in the video, they just happen to be using a Pacific Energy medium sized stove - that says a lot! :)

http://www.ec.gc.ca/cleanair-airpur/videosWoodstove_mgt-Eng.wmv

My local dealer says he sells more Regency F2400's than Pacific Energy Spectrum or Super 27 mid size stoves. the T5 is the same firebox as the Spectrum and Super27. In the larger stoves, he sells more Pacific Energy Summits, than the Regency F3100. Not sure if it's his own preference that determines his sales figures, or if there are other factors - either way, both brands make good stoves.

Blaze King's nice Princess model evidently burns longer and lower than most non-cat stoves, but it is pricier. My dealer says he sells more Blaze Kings to people from up country (North of us) where people rely on them for 24/7 burning in harsh weather conditions.

Thanks for all the responses so far.
MovingoffGrid, I'm afraid the video link isn't active anymore, I was getting re-directed.

I'm certain that my wife will have the final say in the matter, and she likes the photos of the Alderlea.
Who knows what will happen once we're in the showroom.
We'll be going soon to take a look in person.

I'm sure I'll be back with more questions soon.

Thanks,

Cory

At that size house in a not-so-bad winter area, with avg. insulation, you really don't need that much stove if the space is reasonably open. You have a lot of options in the 2 cu ft range, as BeGreen said.

Welcome to the forum Corey.

Why limit yourself to only what that dealer has? If you want something that is really good looking and extremely functional, look at the Woodstock Fireview. Woodstock deals only direct but they are the easiest company to deal with and have the best warranty on the market. They are not cheap, but are really a great stove that will last a lifetime. As for fuel, we cut our fuel needs almost in half and stay much warmer with this stove.

One more thing is the fuel (this should by your first order of business and the stove second). What are you going to use for fuel? Do you have some on hand already? Is it well seasoned? Do you know how long it takes for wood to season? If you buy your wood from a dealer, do not just take his word that he has seasoned wood as we find that most just say so and either do not know what seasoned wood is or are just trying to make some dollars.

So, if you plan on heating with wood next winter, be sure to have that wood on hand no later than April. Get it split and stacked out in the sun and wind. Don't cover it until late fall or early winter and then cover the top only. This will allow for the best evaporation of moisture.

Good luck.

Good Stuff,

OK, I think the T5 is nearly a 2 cubic ft. firebox is it not?

Fuel, I did not realize it took wood so long to cure. Is that 6-8 months; I'd better get to work.
I'll be burning red and white oak mostly as that's what's available to me.
I'm fortunate enough to work with many large landowners and timber companies here in TN and I can use their scraps (tops and bottoms) and downed trees.
I am planning to build a wood shed to keep the wood dry, but should it set the summer out to cure?
What about an open sided structure with greenhouse roof panels to allow the sun through?

Oddly, so far, my wife does not like the look of soapstone, but we haven't seen any in person.

You guys are really speeding up my learning curve!

Thanks,

Cory

Corey, another word of warning. Oak is some of the very best wood for heat, but it also takes about the longest time to season. It is usually best to give oak 2 years to season. But if you have to use it, then split it small so that more surface gets to the air. When you stack it, stack it loosely. Don't try to be too neat or you'll have it stacked too tight. You need air moving though those wood piles. So get some cut and split as soon as you possibly can.

Fireview

If you look on this page, the upper right is almost like our stove. Ours has more of a hint of blue to the stone. The cast looks gray to me but in sunlight it has a brown cast. We originally were going to get the white stone with black cast but now I am very happy with the wife's choice of color!

Status
Not open for further replies.