Newbie needs advice on wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jmpellet

Dec 23, 2011
Maine
We have a traditional fireplace as in the attached with the measurements shown. We would like to place standalone wood stove into the fireplace to provide additional heat. The home is 1800 SF in southern Maine and because of the awkward placement of the stairs I know I might not get great heat upstairs and that's ok. I was thinking about a Jotul because of the reputation but I'm seeing the good reviews on the Englander 30 and wonder if this would be a good option for us since this is a second home and I don't want to spend a ton. When I look at the Englander 30's manual it doesn't seem to address placement into a traditional fireplace so I'm confused. Thank you in advance any information. This site is a wonderful resource!

Attachments

• IMG_7458.jpg
    IMG_7458.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 337
I was hoping to not have to extend the hearth but I can't seem to find the requirements for this particular unit. I have about 37" from the hearth to the back of the firebox but it's curved in the back.

With your raised hearth you would probably be safe with just an ember shield as an extension in front of the stove area. It could be an inlaid tile border or a simple hearth extension board.

I could probably do the tile border although I would prefer not to (i'm a gal and think it wouldn't look so hot -- no pun intended). What is a hearth extension board and are my side clearances ok? I know (or at least I think) my mantle is not an issue since it's brick.

I don't see any side clearance issues based on the picture. My only concern would be the clearance from the stove top to the ceiling. The high hearth could make this an issue. It looks like the stove will be about half in and half out of the fireplace due to the top depth. I would call Englander tech support and ask them what the minimum stove top to ceiling clearance is. If this is an issue then you may need to proceed to plan B. Would you be opposed to putting an insert in this fireplace instead?

A nice terra cotta tile might go well with the bricks. To see some hearth extenders, try Amazon, they list a lot of them.

PS: thanks for posting the dimensions and including the pic. It makes answering questions a lot easier.

Welcome to the forums :)

I agree w/ BG, and I'm sure BB will be by soon.

You're gonna love seeing those doors go !!

Thanks I had not thought about the ceiling as a potential issue but they are just 7 feet so I will definitely call Englander next week. I'm not opposed to an insert but I was thinking the standalone would fit better with the nature of the house. I took a quick peek at the extenders on amazon and I could deal with them. We are doing some additional tile work in a room nearby and could certainly add a row if necessary. I had seen someone else add the dimensions on here and thought it was a good idea!

I'd shop around to see if there is a stove that could be placed in the fireplace without an extension of the hearth. Maybe another brand of stovestove will be a little more expensive than the Englander, but that might mean you avoid the cost and hassle of extending the hearth and you might come out ahead. I have a Lopi woodstove mainly because my hearth didn't have enough R value for englander's specs. I am sure the Englander would have been a nice stove, but the Lopi is too and for just a little extra cost I was able to use my existing hearth.

I installed a Vermont Castings 28 inches height on the hearth and added a support plate on the hearth to protect the edge of the brick. I also removed the damper and chopped out some fire brick to allow a straight run of 8 inch double wall insulated pipe.

[[url]http://inlinethumb12.webshots.com/45643/2009958350041601002S500x500Q85.jpg/img][/url]
[img]http://inlinethumb12.webshots.com/45643/2009958350041601002S500x500Q85.jpg
2146178920041601002S500x500Q85.jpg

2100329640041601002S500x500Q85.jpg

2721673660041601002S500x500Q85.jpg

Before you go any further, I'm questioning that 32" firebox opening. Measure from the inside - bet the lintel cuts that height down a bit. Also check to make sure the firebox is level with the hearth.

Status
Not open for further replies.