Newbie question on fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

77fireplace

Feb 11, 2015
Seattle
Please see photo ... what is this electric plug for? Just recently bought this home, and want to see about getting this fireplace set up ... could we use gas logs for this fireplace?

Attachments

• IMG_1173.JPG
    IMG_1173.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 191
Maybe they had a gas insert in there and the plug was for a blower?

I have no idea. There are four vents on the outside of the fireplace ... two at the bottom and two at the top ... I presume that is to circulate the heat into the house.

Just confused as to why there is electric and gas in the fireplace.

That sure looks like it is an appliance specific connection.
There may have been a gas insert in there at one time that
either had an Intermittent Pilot Ignition (IPI) or a blower (or both).
Does the other end go to a receptacle somehere?

Thanks, DAKSY. The cord goes underneath/built into the fireplace and I can't trace it back to any receptacle. However, there is a light switch nearby that doesn't control any lights, so I'm assuming that is what the switch might be for ... I also took a voltage tester to the prongs, but it wasn't going off, even with flipping the switch on and off

Status
Not open for further replies.