Newbie questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Randy, I'll take your word on that as it's a bit over my head. All I know is it seems to work as intended.....and, now back to our regularly scheduled program!

Bob; I'm glad you are happy with your WG. I hope to regale everyone soon about my Atmos install. It's just about ready to fire up. I'll load pictures, Randy

I would think the suspended combustion is like when we clean out hot coals from our stoves. We shovel them into a pail and let them sit for days, feel the side and it can even be cold. Spread those ashes and give them some air and all of a sudden you see glowing coals that were buried deep in the ash pail. The coals may survive on just enough trapped oxygen in the wood to keep it going.
I agree that they cannot suspend it but they can slow it down so that the amount of burn is almost equivalent to suspended. So they stretched the truth. Yes if you left it closed the wood will likely burn up over time and it will get to a state that will not be recoverable without starting a new fire. I have stirred the ashes in my stove after over 24 hours and the coals light up like a Christmas tree. So I can understand it.

I would be cautious of heating the house completely with inserts because the heating pipes in the wall can freeze. This happened to my brother in law a few years back. You need to circulate that water every now and again. There is discussions on here about a device that does that .

I would be cautious of heating the house completely with inserts because the heating pipes in the wall can freeze. This happened to my brother in law a few years back. You need to circulate that water every now and again. There is discussions on here about a device that does that .

What would such a device be called? If I had something to run a "search" for those discussions...

Status
Not open for further replies.