Newbie This old stove any good?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know i shouldn't but i will address schwammys post a little. Dry wood is important for any stove but i do feel that some on here are a bit fanatical about it. My wood is cut split and covered for one year and 90% of it is 20% or lower. I am a sweep with a customer list of roughly 3000 and most of them do not dry for more than a year and the majority of their chimneys do not look to bad at all And most of them are very happy with the heat output. Many have old stoves many have new ones. I understand that you prefer old stoves and there is nothing wrong with that but the fact is that new stoves give you more heat out of each piece of wood and put less creosote in the chimney which means there is less chance for a chimney fire. I agree that to many guys automatically say you need to replace you old stove but that does not mean that new stoves are no good. And by the way almost every time we install a new stove the customer says they should have done it long ago they work much better.

Reactions: Shwammy
It is a budget stove, guessing it is the 2000 model, but it is still better than the older one you have now.
Hey mello.. I went and checked out tge stove. It was purchased last year. Looks like it had good reviews here . There wete a couple broken firebricks. Doest have much room for wood, I was suprised at how small the firebox was, is that normal for the new stoves?

Ugh,,, don't buy the country hearth, I own the big brother 2500, save your money and go with the Englander - while my stove heats good, it has other problems. To fully clean the stove (as with many types) you need to take out the secondary re-tubes and baffle board, on my stove every screw (which is only a sheet metal self tapper) broke, I had to re-tap everyone, the baffle is one large and very fragile board (mine after two seasons is on it last leg) The stove is made in china, were in my opinion there is less quality control, my opinion was re-affirmed when I replaced the door gasket last year, I looked up the size (5/8") and bought the rutland 5/8 gasket replacement kit, to my surprise the gasket was way to small for the door grove (dollar bill test) I went to a stove shop near by and asked what the next size up was from 5/8" and bought the 3/4" (which was a little to big, but worked better then the 5/8") it was a case of fine engineering. After the winter when I did my final clean I noticed that the stove developed cracks around the door frame, each crack was identical approx. 1/2" on the top side (upper right and left)
My friend bought an Englander nc-30 (I helped install) and I noticed how much beefier the stove is, the metal box is thicker than mine, door and assembly seems stronger and easier, little bit longer fire box for north and south loading, seems easier to take apart for cleaning (2 baffle boards instead of one)
Please don't make the same mistake as me, if you are on a budget go with the better engineered Englander, best bang for your dollar in my opinion. Oh and by the way the never heard anything bad about the customer service either, I vented in a different thread similar to this about my US stove and how I was going to buy a blaze king, some guy ( I guess he represents US stove) became hostile and then after all said and done wanted me to pm him with info (so he could help me out) Right then and there I realized I would never buy another product from that company.

Ugghh my head hurts, didnt know there was so many things to look for. Think ill try and swing the money for the Englander 30nc. lowes doesnt carry? Only HD? I did hook up with a arborist that dumps ash at my house. There is some 5 year old oak there also.

Status
Not open for further replies.