Nice and needed wood score!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinngetreu

Feeling the Heat
Nov 10, 2013
North Iowa
I finally got my cutting permit for the local preserve and pulled two trailer loads of Oak (?). This wood has been down for 3+ years. Yesterday, after bringing home the first trailer load, my wife threw a split in the stove to see how it would go (not my idea). Bark was falling off before it could get there and not a drop of water boiled out. She was thrilled because it got up temp and stayed there for quite a while on two little splits. Great stuff! I don’t have a MM so I’m not sure where it was percentage wise, but it is certainly dryer than the Ash that I have been burning and burns hotter too. That is a heaven sent because it is freezing in Iowa right now!

To any of you in the area... Its terrible wood and you shouldn’t waste your time trying to get any of it! :mad: :rolleyes:

DSCF1218.JPG DSCF1219.JPG

Good to hear. That cold is coming our way but prob not as bad as you guys are getting. Stay warm.

Looking at it with all that bark on I would guess it could use some time on a stack hanging out in the sun.

Reactions: hickoryhoarder
Looking at it with all that bark on I would guess it could use some time on a stack hanging out in the sun.

Yep, its not the ideal, but it is dryer than it looks. One year in the sun and wind should make it spot on.
I figure I will burn the dryer limbs and pieces to help the Ash out, but the larger rounds can be c/s/s and saved for later.

Yep, its not the ideal, but it is dryer than it looks. One year in the sun and wind should make it spot on.
I figure I will burn the dryer limbs and pieces to help the Ash out, but the larger rounds can be c/s/s and saved for later.
What's it sound like when you slap a couple spits together?

Sounds better then it looks then.

Ok Bigdaddy, I'm going to give you half credit here. I looked at the second trailer load a bit closer and loaded a split into the stove this afternoon. Its not as dry as the first trailer load. I didn't take a picture of the first load, but I can attest to the fact that the bark fell off with no effort and sounded like I said it did, but the second trailer load (the one that is pictured) is not quite as dry. It will need to hang out a bit before I can get a good burn from it. Its almost there, but not quite. It is dryer than it looks, but not as dry as the first load that I was describing.

Here's your cookie!

Ok Bigdaddy, I'm going to give you half credit here. I looked at the second trailer load a bit closer and loaded a split into the stove this afternoon. Its not as dry as the first trailer load. I didn't take a picture of the first load, but I can attest to the fact that the bark fell off with no effort and sounded like I said it did, but the second trailer load (the one that is pictured) is not quite as dry. It will need to hang out a bit before I can get a good burn from it. Its almost there, but not quite. It is dryer than it looks, but not as dry as the first load that I was describing.

Here's your cookie!
Me likes cookies.

Sinngetreu, how does one obtain a permit to harvest firewood from public ground here in Iowa? There's a large state/county public area a couple miles from me. I couldn't find anything searching around on the DNR website. I was probably using the wrong search term :rolleyes:

Sinngetreu, how does one obtain a permit to harvest firewood from public ground here in Iowa? There's a large state/county public area a couple miles from me. I couldn't find anything searching around on the DNR website. I was probably using the wrong search term :rolleyes:

Are you trying to cut in a park? You would call the park office for that one. I cut at a preserve near me and it costs 10 dollars for a ten day permit. I just called the park office and applied for the permit. It was easy.
Otherwise, you might try the county maintenance office?

Do yourself a favor and be careful who you tell about cutting. I mentioned to a few locals that I was cutting in a preserve and it started a heated argument. Seems that they don't mind wiping out a whole grove of trees on a farm, but cut some downed oak in a preserve and people suddenly get passionate about nothing.
Of course, you can always tell me! ;) Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.