No luck finding generic blower.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

michael

Nov 19, 2005
I guess all the old topics are gone??? I'll post a follow-up to yesterday's thread.

I looked over the entire internet using my stoves blower number (someones suggestion), and found nothing. Well, I did find a replacement part for an MTD tractor apparently having the same part number.

Any suggestions on finding a blower fan for an Avalon Mission stove? Preferably cheaper than dealer retail.

If you know the blowers specs and mounting hole dimensions you could check northern tool or grainger.

Thanks! I'll check into it.

The unit is a rear blower that mounts underneath using a rear mounting bracket (basically a steel plate) screwed to the back with three screws.

What I would be most concerned about is the general configuration of the fans themselves. The unit looks like a small box with two blower fans pointing upward to circulate air through the convection chamber. I'm not familiar with other blowers and not sure they all work (configured) the same.

If it's just a matter of drilling a couple of holes, a generic unit may in fact work.

I have a Lopi Freedom insert installed with it extended to the fullest. I didn't want to cough up the 200+ either, plus the dealer told me the insert would work just beautifully without it. Dealer told me to save my cash, run it for a year and then decide if I wanted the blower. Works just fine on it's own, may warm the room up quicker with the blower, but I don't have to deal with the blower noise either. Then mom and dad bought us the large Eco-Fan. I am super happy. Moves just enough air, does it silently. I use it along with the black corner super quiet doorway fan and it moves the air around the first floor of my 2500 sq ft house just fine. I don't have the greatest setup for air movement as I do not have an open floorplan, but htese two items work for me, plus they are QUIET!

michael,

If the blower is still good but the motor is shot, you should be able to find a replacement motor. That's the easy part. I can't imagine a scenario where the blower itself is beyond repair. Take the motor into an electrical supply place and see what they can hook you up with.

EDIT: My previous suggestion that you do a web search with the blower model number was not particularly helpful since the blower may have been manufactured by the stove manufacturer. If you get get a make/model number off the motor, you'll probably find one online for pretty cheap. Even a purpose-built blower will use an off-the-shelf motor. I bought a boiler with a Dayton blower and was able to find a new motor online for $40.

Agree with Eric. You don't need to replace the entire blower box. First you need to determine if it's the fan or temperature control that has failed. Usually one can do this by temporarilly placing a jumper to shunt out the temp control. It it works, then the fan motor is still ok and just the temp control needs to be replaced. If it doesn't, then concentrate on the fan motor or the fan assembly inside the blower box. Usually these fans are build from off the shelf components. My Quad is almost entirely built from Grainger available components, (except for the electronics). Remove the blower box and open it up. Send a picture to the forum of what the fan looks like when removed from the blower box that mounts on the stove. That should help narrow down a replacement.

If working with electricity is not your thing, then follow Eric's suggestion. Bring the entire blower box into an electric motor shop and ask them to take a look.

i have bought generic blower motors from grainger, if you have a local store take it there in person, you do need an account to buy from grainger but that is a minor detail

I saw some blower fans for stoves at Lowe's for $135 a couple of days ago. Are they quiet? Two speed? Will they fit your stove? I don't know! I was able to get a replacement motor for my blower through Grainger some years ago and it saved me many $$$.

Geepop said:
I saw some blower fans for stoves at Lowe's for $135 a couple of days ago. Are they quiet? Two speed? Will they fit your stove? I don't know! I was able to get a replacement motor for my blower through Grainger some years ago and it saved me many $$$.

Just a guess, but since that post was from 2005, he probably has a blower by now.

Good info on the source for blowers though. Others may use the info.

Once again a day late or a dollar short!

FWIW its worth checking the local MOM AND POP ELECTRIC SHOP. You know the kind, sort of grown out of a big garage in the 1970's or earlier with none of the big overhead you find on the strip. Look under electric motors repair in the phone book and let your fingers do the walkin. The last time I had to get a Miller furnace blower motor it was only 125 for a Dayton which was next day and half the price of the trailer place and local retail shops. They don't just fix em but have access to nicely priced motors and related repairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.