No more internet sales!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like you collect stoves like I collect skis.

The trouble with stoves is that they're a lot harder to hide.

bruce56bb said:
i disagree with huskys "no internet sales" stance and i don't think that is the problem. IMHO,the saws should cost the dealer, irregardless of size, the same amount.so when baileys buys 50 pallets of saws, the (small?) local dealer who stocks 50 saws, can buy them at the same price. that is the only way to level the field.

You're right...if you're a dealer of any kind you get the same price as any other dealer provided you buy the same quantity.....but here's the rub: while they all pay pretty much the same price the overhead is way lower for the internet store so they can sell it at a lower cost. Also enticing is the fact that most internet sales are not taxed....another advantage. Put these two together and the internet store can sell at 10-15% less than a "real store" can......

The sales tax hit can be significant. Niels and I live in a county with a 9.5 percent sales tax. That's no fun when you buy a car. In a state like New Hampshire that doesn't have sales taxes, "real" stores probably do a lot better--especially with all the Vermonters, Massachussetsers and Mainers heading over there to buy their booze and other necessities.

Eric Johnson said:
The sales tax hit can be significant. Niels and I live in a county with a 9.5 percent sales tax. That's no fun when you buy a car. In a state like New Hampshire that doesn't have sales taxes, "real" stores probably do a lot better--especially with all the Vermonters, Massachussetsers and Mainers heading over there to buy their booze and other necessities.

When I lived in MA for 5 years MA people use to go over the NH state line and buy booze in NH stores where it was tax free....the MA State Police stationed undercover cops IN THE NH LIQUOR STORE PARKING LOT and they'd record Mass license plates and radio them to patrol cars waiting just across the border in MA..then the poor bastards who went into NH to save a few bucks got pulled over and ticketed when they crossed over back into MA......

UPDATE: The Husqvarna policy will go into effect March 1st.

cozy heat for my feet said:
I bought my husky from:

http://www.southwestfastener.com/productsHusqChainsaw.htm

Specifically because they sold on the internet. Looks like they still have a good supply. They beat anything local by over $100. Which allowed me to split the differece and move up to a bigger saw and still save a few bucks.

* Standard disclaimer - no monetary or personal affiliation with this site.

Corey

Bought mine from there also. Saved a ton of money....no sales tax, free shipping and got an extra chain free.

carpniels said:
That last post could indeed be the reason behind it. Secondly, in the USA I would never want to sell the most dangerous tool in existence without proper training by my dealers. Too many lawyers out there that will sue the deep pockets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Carpniels

PS. I looked into the PE summit (after seing Roo's avatar) and that has got to be the most gorgeous color stove Roo has. What a beauty? How much do those run?

Little off-thread but how did you like the VC Intrepid II when you owned it?

Hi Castiron,

Wow, you actually remembered that that is the stove I started my wood heating career with? THANKS.

Mind you: I still have it. It is in the garage. I wanted to sell it (Elk has one and told me how to rebuild it) or sell it outright, since they fetch good prices (name recognition). But my wife wanted to keep it in case me ever move. She wants to take the large stove with her and leave the VC Intrepid for the buyers.

I was really happy with it. It lit well, got hot fast and stayed warm long. The catalytic combuster was a new thing to me, but I got used to it and it appeared to work. I did not like the cat fouling up every few months. I could not remove the bolts on the back, so I could not effectively clean it. Elk told me to drill those out and replace them. But I upgraded to a mid size stove and full time burning, so there was no need.

All in all, good efficient small stove but you need to rebuild it with a new cat to work well. It exceeded Elk's expectations after the rebuild.

Carpniels

castiron said:
When I lived in MA for 5 years MA people use to go over the NH state line and buy booze in NH stores where it was tax free....the MA State Police stationed undercover cops IN THE NH LIQUOR STORE PARKING LOT and they'd record Mass license plates and radio them to patrol cars waiting just across the border in MA..then the poor bastards who went into NH to save a few bucks got pulled over and ticketed when they crossed over back into MA......

The NH liquor stores are run by the state and a big source of revenue. IIRC, NH didn't want to loose this out of state business so they started ticketing MA state troopers for loitering. Needless to say you don't hear about this practice by MA anymore. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.