Noisy Wood Pile #2 w/ a twist

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
sorry guys late to the party. I have not used a kiln to kill insects. I have not had insects when doing the kiln either. If I had an insect issue. I would do a kiln for the wod with minimal ventilation.. In summer iv gotten temps of the low 140s.. in texas you should be able to achieve at least 150 ish. I dont think you will kill bugs, but most likely drive them away, making the area uninhabitable..
Hmm. Well that's a tad bit of a bummer. Was hoping to kill them off. Don't want a mass migration to a new pile of wood lol and with how green everything is, I'm sure they would just hop to another pile.

Temps of at least 150 should be good I'd think. It was stated a few posts ago that it has to be at 130 for a few hours to kill off bugs in a kiln. Hopefully there's some truth to that.

Do the experiment and let us know.
I think chances are high it'll work.

And if not, you have a set up to quickly dry wood so you don't have to store as much...

Reactions: Dfw245
While the wood is green, you will have bugs and stuff. After the wood starts to dry and the MC drops, bugs tend to move off. If there are any larvae/eggs, they should die off in the extreme heat..
Interesting didn't know that. That gives me a little hope lol can't wait to try this out

Interesting didn't know that. That gives me a little hope lol can't wait to try this out

Right now with the freshly sit wood there are bugs in my stacks.. even when i split there will be some carpenter ants here and there. They like moisture.. once it dries it uninhabitable for them.. most larvae will die with out the host or moisture.

Reactions: Dfw245