Northern Tool grinder mounting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beetle-Kill

Minister of Fire
Sep 8, 2009
Colorado- near the Divide
Quick question(s)- The 511A knock-off hasn't arrived yet, but I want to draw up the base plate to mount it. I have a pipe column in the garage that I added a reciever tube to, so I can use different tools as needed. It's about chest height. So..
1- What is the hole spacing on the grinders base? Can't seem to find that.
2- How far away from the column should it be mounted? How much clearance from the back of the grinder would you recommend?
Thanks in advance, I want to build this tomorrow after work so it's ready as soon as the grinder shows up. Got about a dozen of my own chains to sharpen, and a few others @ $5.00 a pop.

Your going to grind standing? just a thought.

Sorta. I have a "high-chair" I use for some things, like a small table I use for working on small parts. I may grind standing, or use the chair, don't know yet. I can modify the height of the mounting plate if need be.

Beetle-Kill said:
Sorta. I have a "high-chair" I use for some things, like a small table I use for working on small parts. I may grind standing, or use the chair, don't know yet. I can modify the height of the mounting plate if need be.

I can measure the holes on my 511a but not sure that would be a perfect measurements for you. I have a couple nice hydro chrome chairs love working off them.

If you could get a measurement for me , that'd be great. Doesn't need to be dead-nuts, just a width of the base is cool, I can punch holes when it shows up. Also, how far out would you want it from a verticle surface? Thanks SJay.

Beetle-Kill said:
If you could get a measurement for me , that'd be great. Doesn't need to be dead-nuts, just a width of the base is cool, I can punch holes when it shows up. Also, how far out would you want it from a verticle surface? Thanks SJay.

11 deep by 6 wide and you will have 5 inch on the plate fourm. Oh your book still setting here just need time to take it to the post office so they can look at it.

Thanks. So, 6" wide by 11" length leaves me plenty of room, got it. Literally have tons of 6x 3/8" flat bar at the shop, so I'm good to go. Now... what book? My memory is getting as bad as my eyesight. (add that to the list- Side effects of burning Pine)

Beetle-Kill said:
Thanks. So, 6" wide by 11" length leaves me plenty of room, got it. Literally have tons of 6x 3/8" flat bar at the shop, so I'm good to go. Now... what book? My memory is getting as bad as my eyesight.

Milling book. Post office sent it back to me. Seems they have to inspect anything over 10lbs. Cant beleave its that much but the stamps are still good.

smokinjay said:
Beetle-Kill said:
Thanks. So, 6" wide by 11" length leaves me plenty of room, got it. Literally have tons of 6x 3/8" flat bar at the shop, so I'm good to go. Now... what book? My memory is getting as bad as my eyesight.

Milling book. Post office sent it back to me. Seems they have to inspect anything over 10lbs. Cant beleave its that much but the stamps are still good.

If you want, I can give you my in-laws cell #'s. They work for the PO. Make me laugh and piss them off- win-win! :coolgrin:

Beetle-Kill said:
smokinjay said:
Beetle-Kill said:

If you want, I can give you my in-laws cell #'s. They work for the PO. Make me laugh and piss them off- win-win! :coolgrin:

edit battenkiller wants the milling book......sorry

Status
Not open for further replies.