Norway on track to reach 100% EV sales in the next 2 years

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The fire thing is just the grasping of straws, by those wanting to defend their v8's. Yes, BEV's occasionally catch on fire. So do ICE's, and we've always known that. If I'm given a choice between one of my large-displacement ICE's and a BEV in a 100+ MPH crash, I honestly might choose the BEV. At least the AWD (why would you not buy dual motor?!?) will help with a little pre-collision deceleration, and their mass favors your conservation of momentum.

The one valid point on this subject is that the per-capita incidence of fires starting randomly overnight in your garage, while your family is asleep above, seems to be presently much higher with overnight charging of BEV's. Yes, ICE's also occasionally catch on fire while doing nothing in a garage (ironically, often caused by the battery), but the incidence of that seems to be much lower. I am sure that will be resolved in time, in fact I think the likelihood of that happening on cars produced today is already much lower than those produced 6 years ago.
Although I have owned 5 different ice vehicles which were recalled because to many of them randomly caught fire while parked.

The fire thing is just the grasping of straws, by those wanting to defend their v8's. Yes, BEV's occasionally catch on fire. So do ICE's, and we've always known that. If I'm given a choice between one of my large-displacement ICE's and a BEV in a 100+ MPH crash, I honestly might choose the BEV. At least the AWD (why would you not buy dual motor?!?) will help with a little pre-collision deceleration, and their mass favors your conservation of momentum.

The one valid point on this subject is that the per-capita incidence of fires starting randomly overnight in your garage, while your family is asleep above, seems to be presently much higher with overnight charging of BEV's. Yes, ICE's also occasionally catch on fire while doing nothing in a garage (ironically, often caused by the battery), but the incidence of that seems to be much lower. I am sure that will be resolved in time, in fact I think the likelihood of that happening on cars produced today is already much lower than those produced 6 years ago.
I if you look up the stats I think you will find many more fires (as a fraction of total vehicles) while parked for ICE. There were a few bolts right that caught fire charging. Many many many more Fords and Hyundais.

The lithium issue is and will be unique to the US as we don’t value mass transit, walking or biking and like our vehicles HUGE with lots of range. The 7500$ tax credit Will incentive smaller cheaper vehicles with less range I think. At the end of the day all of this is highly dependent on government policy. I don’t see the U.S. being a visionary leader in environmental policy any time soon.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Although I have owned 5 different ice vehicles which were recalled because to many of them randomly caught fire while parked.
Holy crap! What cars are you buying, bholler?!? Even the Pinto needed a nudge, before it would burst into flame.

I if you look up the stats I think you will find many more fires (as a fraction of total vehicles) while parked for ICE. There were a few bolts right that caught fire charging. Many many many more Fords and Hyundais.
I did a quick search on this, and couldn't turn up anything concrete, but didn't have a lot of time to devote to it. SpaceBus just posted some real good data, but he's still SWAG'ing the conclusion based on disconnected data sets. It would be great if someone could turn up something like probability of vehicle fire by type, or age- or mileage-corrected fires per capita for each vehicle type. It's a complex problem, as most ICE fires are probably due to incorrect maintenance on older vehicles, whereas I suspect more BEV fires are on newer vehicles and the result of construction issues rather than maintenance. But really, I'm only guessing.

The fire risk is part of the excitement coming from a former Fiero owner.

Reactions: EbS-P
Holy crap! What cars are you buying, bholler?!? Even the Pinto needed a nudge, before it would burst into flame.
2 fords a a Chevy a Mazda and a Hyundai. I believe dodge had a recall for it on some as well

2 fords a a Chevy a Mazda and a Hyundai. I believe dodge had a recall for it on some as well
Wow. Had no idea. None of the vehicles I've ever owned has had a recall for parked fire issues.

In fact, nearly all that have come into my mailbox can be summed up as "preventing stupid people from hurting themselves". One was to make it "more obvious the car was in park", after a few vehicles rolled when people failed to put them properly into Park, and another had to do with people thinking their seatbelt is latched when it's not.

The fire risk is part of the excitement coming from a former Fiero owner.
Fieros lol. Those were fun little cars to drive, and easy-ish to work on. Speakers in the headrest, how novel. Speed was not their strong suite though.

Reactions: Shank
Fieros lol. Those were fun little cars to drive, and easy-ish to work on. Speakers in the headrest, how novel. Speed was not their strong suite though.
Put the 3.8 in them and they are pretty quick. And fast as hell with the supercharged one

'84 Iron Duke with a 5 speed. Rebuilt the transmission and motor when I got it. A complete dog but it was fairly fun.

'84 Iron Duke with a 5 speed. Rebuilt the transmission and motor when I got it. A complete dog but it was fairly fun.
Yeah not GM's best motor. They weren't bad with the 2.8 in the later gts

There is now an ls swap kit for them as well. Which must be crazy

I did a quick search on this, and couldn't turn up anything concrete, but didn't have a lot of time to devote to it. SpaceBus just posted some real good data, but he's still SWAG'ing the conclusion based on disconnected data sets. It would be great if someone could turn up something like probability of vehicle fire by type, or age- or mileage-corrected fires per capita for each vehicle type. It's a complex problem, as most ICE fires are probably due to incorrect maintenance on older vehicles, whereas I suspect more BEV fires are on newer vehicles and the result of construction issues rather than maintenance. But really, I'm only guessing.
With the number of BEVs on the road approaching two million, we will see more stories in the news, but those isolated events are statistically irrelevant and on the 99th percentile on the bell curve. These BEV fire events are absolutely real, but in reality basically round to zero events. In fact, they are only in the news because BEVs are generally so reliable. The tens of thousands of vehicle fires every year are not sensational because they are routine, despite causing over one billion dollars of damage every year. I agree that the data is from a lot of sources and there is no refinement. We don't know any statistical information about the vehicle fires, other than they are 99.9% ICE vehicles based on the numbers of BEV fires vs how many are on the road. Despite the vehicles being new, I suspect in very few cases the fires are caused by uncontrollable "rare events" (hurricanes, "acts of god", manufacturing defects, etc.). Instead I find it much more likely that human error is the primary cause. These vehicles are tested in all conditions that engineers can possibly consider, but none that they haven't. This is where the human error comes in.

I had one for a minute, but then sold it to get a transam with T tops. Oh yea.
I had an 87 gt with the 2.8. blew that motor and put in as na 3800. Drove it about a year and spun a bearing. Then went supercharged. Ended up in a ditch a few months later on wet roads

I had an 87 gt with the 2.8. blew that motor and put in as na 3800. Drove it about a year and spun a bearing. Then went supercharged. Ended up in a ditch a few months later on wet roads
I wouldn't mind having one with a 3800 or an LS (likely a 4.8 or 5.3).

Sorry to get the thread so off topic.

I wouldn't mind having one with a 3800 or an LS (likely a 4.8 or 5.3).

Sorry to get the thread so off topic.
I have been looking for a decent gt with a bad motor for a while

Wow. I have parked two Chevy Bolts in my attached tuck under garage. The 2017 with the 'bad' batteries for a year, and now the 2022 with the 'good' batteries.

I sleep like a baby.

Most of the 'bad' bolt Batteries were in the 2019 model year which forced action. The number outside of that range was quite small, but they recalled the rest anyways.

I have been looking for a decent gt with a bad motor for a while
do you ever take a car to the track? There are some interesting builds out there, and they start with some interesting cars. MX-8's seem to attract their fair share of people that like to work on cars. As do Honda S3000s

do you ever take a car to the track? There are some interesting builds out there, and they start with some interesting cars. MX-8's seem to attract their fair share of people that like to work on cars. As do Honda S3000s
Yeah I have tracked quite a few and helped friends prep theirs. Mx-5 (Miata) and s2000 i assume you mean. We have a Miata now. Absolutely the most fun you can have for the money

Yeah I have tracked quite a few and helped friends prep theirs. Mx-5 (Miata) and s2000 i assume you mean. We have a Miata now. Absolutely the most fun you can have for the money
yep S2000 is what I meant.
I have an Alfa Giulia now with all the bells/whistles. I bought it when the dealers were begging people to take them off their hands. I wanted to track it but after a couple times out I realized that I would feel alot more comfortable with a car that I can tinker, fix, and not care if I flip it.
But I'm also considering a Tesla truck now or the F150 EV. Decisions decisions.
With the economy and lay offs, I might be holding off on a decision for much longer.

And ICE vehicles never have fires? Ever heard of the "Jaws of life"? Plenty of ICE vehicles have their doors locked closed in accidents. Hell, I've locked my keys in the car while it's running as a teenager!

Your echo chamber/social media feed is not an accurate source of data. The feed does not show you the 200,000+ ICE vehicles that catch on fire every year. In 2018 there were 355 fatalities from vehicle fires.

How do you know that your information isn't compromised? What makes you so sure?

Let's put the EV fire stuff to rest, it's a non issue:

"A recent study conducted by AutoInsuranceEZ using data from the NTSB (National Transportation Safety Board) showed that electric cars in the US caught fire at a rate of 25.1 per 100,000 sales compared to 1,530 for ICE vehicles and 3,475 for hybrids."

They don’t rely on corporate sponsorship.

Status
Not open for further replies.