Norway on track to reach 100% EV sales in the next 2 years

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
All current model Subarus use a timing chain, not belt. No replacement interval.
What about the head gaskets though that's what I was thinking about

What about the head gaskets though that's what I was thinking about
Well, that's not a timing belt/chain issue, lol.

All the FA and FB series engines do not route coolant through the head gasket. While, like any car, head gasket issues are never 100%, the previous head gasket issues are a thing of the past that disappeared with the older EJ-series engines.

Harrowing images of cobalt mines in Congo where kids dig for $2-a-day

https://mol.im/a/11668015
Horrid images of abuse abound in some third-world countries. Children are often used for mining. They would in this country too if not for changes negotiated by unions.

How do we stand the starving, bone-thin kids in Ethiopia when we have entire aisles in the grocery store laden with chips and another just for soda pop or beer? When we come close to wasting as much food as we eat?!

All current model Subarus use a timing chain, not belt. No replacement interval.
Thanks. I haven't owned one for years now. Looks like they switched around 2013.

it's not stated where they got this data, or what vehicles were included
Yeah, would be better if I could see all the data. I've seen this range of dollars before in several other studies, usually done by companies or cities that manage fleets of vehicles. You might be able to assume that the average gas vehicle life of a fleet is the same as that of the US as a whole, but that is conjecture.
I don't understand why we would look at the maintenance costs for a used ICE, but a new EV. That kind of data can't really be compared. Comparing the data for TCO only works when looking at buying both new. Otherwise there are too many variables.
I can't say that I read very deep into the report I referenced (my bad) since it matched what I've read before in other reports that I have read deeply. Did that report really say they were comparing used ICEs with new EVs?

Well, that's not a timing belt/chain issue, lol.

All the FA and FB series engines do not route coolant through the head gasket. While, like any car, head gasket issues are never 100%, the previous head gasket issues are a thing of the past that disappeared with the older EJ-series engines.
That good ol' positively charged EJ block will do that. I can't understand why the Subaru design team though it would be a good idea to trust the operators to change the coolant every 60k miles.

Long thread, but I think what needs to be said has been said. BEV's win on many fronts, and will continue to take more. Their primary obstacle today is initial cost, which can't presently be offset by their savings in fuel or maintenance, excepting perhaps very low-end models. But that will change as sales volumes increase, and as component supply chains mature.

I don't really get the ethical arguments against child labor as related to BEV's, from anyone carrying an iPhone, iPad, Samsung, or laptop computer. Sure it's horrible, but in no way unique to BEV's. Heck, I'm sure some components of our beloved ICE's can be tied to child labor, without much effort. Then what?

That good ol' positively charged EJ block will do that. I can't understand why the Subaru design team though it would be a good idea to trust the operators to change the coolant every 60k miles.
And use a can of 'coolant conditioner' (also known as Holt's RadWeld) with every change.

Global sales numbers….

Reactions: woodgeek
Global sales numbers….
Tesla and BYD models jumping up in the rankings from nowhere to top 20. And ICE standbys all dropping in sales YOY.

We will see what happens in 2023 after China EV incentives end.

Did I see that Model Y was the best selling single model in both California and Germany in December?

I get where Ashful is at (and I risk trying to paraphrase his many posts on this topic), but for those who want bigger vehicles or large pickup trucks that are used to tow things, the affordable BEV market is still 5-10 years in the future, and it may arrive even later for those who need a pickup truck to tow things.

Reactions: Ashful and Shank
I get where Ashful is at (and I risk trying to paraphrase his many posts on this topic), but for those who want bigger vehicles or large pickup trucks that are used to tow things, the affordable BEV market is still 5-10 years in the future, and it may arrive even later for those who need a pickup truck to tow things.
The current ev trucks can tow pretty well. Our friends have a lighting they towed a pretty big camper with several times this summer and said it worked great. Yes they had to plan and schedule on charging but they are happy

The current ev trucks can tow pretty well. Our friends have a lighting they towed a pretty big camper with several times this summer and said it worked great. Yes they had to plan and schedule on charging but they are happy
First company to get an EV truck into 500k units a year production will have a huge market if the battery is 100kwh or bigger.

Reactions: bholler and Shank
Yep. But note that DBoon said "affordable". There's no doubt BEV's have come a long way on capability, that side of things has been very exciting. Cost will be the next challenge to resolve, at least for these larger vehicles.

Yep. But note that DBoon said "affordable". There's no doubt BEV's have come a long way on capability, that side of things has been very exciting. Cost will be the next challenge to resolve, at least for these larger vehicles.
I don’t think cost is a challenge on a per part basis (excluding batteries). It is building the assembly infrastructure and battery manufacturing that will be costly. They have the highest margins on truck’s because efficiency is not that important. Small packaging is not important. Ford has body panel stamping capacity, all the interior will be similar to ICE production. Motors should cross platforms like Tesla. The plaid motors are being used in the Semi trucks. Want more power don’t build a bigger motor just add another one. Why are they expensive now? I think because they are basically being hand built. They delivered 13,250 in all of 2022. That’s basically what Tesla Makes in a Week of Model Y.

Reactions: Ashful
Regarding trucks... remember that 1 kWh = 1.341 horsepower.hour.

So a 100 kWh battery only delivers 134 horsepower for 1 hour, less conversion losses, ofc.

Reactions: Ashful and EbS-P
The lightning is currently available with 98 or 131 kwh batteries rivian is 105 135 or 180

Harrowing images of cobalt mines in Congo where kids dig for $2-a-day

https://mol.im/a/11668015

Long thread, but I think what needs to be said has been said. BEV's win on many fronts, and will continue to take more. Their primary obstacle today is initial cost, which can't presently be offset by their savings in fuel or maintenance, excepting perhaps very low-end models. But that will change as sales volumes increase, and as component supply chains mature.

I don't really get the ethical arguments against child labor as related to BEV's, from anyone carrying an iPhone, iPad, Samsung, or laptop computer. Sure it's horrible, but in no way unique to BEV's. Heck, I'm sure some components of our beloved ICE's can be tied to child labor, without much effort. Then what?
Yes, once we have transportation weaned off fossil fuel, the transition toward cleaner power generation will not be a shock to the transportation sector. Pun totally intended.

The lightning is currently available with 98 or 131 kwh batteries rivian is 105 135 or 180
The 180 kWh might make serious tow vehicle but the rivian reminds me of Ridgeline in cabin size. That battery means the weight of the truck itself is a lot! And that means its payloads is less and its GCVWR doesn’t get bigger (I’m guessing here) so its actual towing capacity is probably smaller. But it’s a luxury truck that won’t ever see volume production I predict.

The 180 kWh might make serious tow vehicle but the rivian reminds me of Ridgeline in cabin size. That battery means the weight of the truck itself is a lot! And that means its payloads is less and its GCVWR doesn’t get bigger (I’m guessing here) so its actual towing capacity is probably smaller. But it’s a luxury truck that won’t ever see volume production I predict.
If the company survives I expect to see non luxury versions available in a couple years. But honestly what many of us contractors want are regular cab long bed trucks in 3/4 ton. I have a feeling that's a pretty long way off.

But here is the chart of towing and payload of current ev trucks. But the payload does drop by 300 to 400 with the larger battery options

Screenshot_20230131-145540.png

If the company survives I expect to see non luxury versions available in a couple years. But honestly what many of us contractors want are regular cab long bed trucks in 3/4 ton. I have a feeling that's a pretty long way off.

But here is the chart of towing and payload of current ev trucks. But the payload does drop by 300 to 400 with the larger battery options

View attachment 308940
I would guess the 3/4 ton are manufactured on their own assembly line. Volume is probably smaller for battery trucks 3/4 and 1 ton. Tesla is marking a play for a heavy duty 1/2 ton.

I would guess the 3/4 ton are manufactured on their own assembly line. Volume is probably smaller for battery trucks 3/4 and 1 ton. Tesla is marking a play for a heavy duty 1/2 ton.
Well maybe they are if they ever make any lol.

The problem is no one is making a long bed version

Reactions: Ashful
Screenshot_20230129_202241_Gmail.jpg
Not a chance that many current truck owners are going electric anytime soon here at those prices...Add a newly imposed luxury tax onto that price as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.