Nova 2

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Nova2CT

Dec 14, 2022
Connecticut
We were hunting for a woodstove with a large viewing area that wouldn’t require a large insert that would cover our granite and settled on the Nova 2.

When researching we couldn’t get information regarding the difference in blowers between the insert and blower available for the Nova2. The blower for the Nova insert is completely different and sits below the unit and has a shield that goes to one side of the “box”.

The “blower” that is sold for the Nova 2 sits on top.

In the end we bought a fan that doesn’t use electricity because we are tight on space.

Pros of the Nova 2

Love the simplistic look and operation
Glass stays clean
The fire burns hot/great design
Support has been responsive.

Cons

Fire burns hot…We are going through way more wood then we thought we would. Reloading often.

The catalytic bypass handle needs an extender. We are using a fireplace poker as the unit is in our fireplace and there isn’t any room around the unit.

Our house is 2 stories and 2,700 sq feet. The Nova is definitely helping but obviously doesn’t fully meet our heating needs.

6987EAEC-993B-4DBF-B9B4-47DBE0D8E73E.jpeg

Reactions: DSil100
This is a full masonry chimney/fireplace?
Are you venting into the required full length insulated stainless liner?
Was the insert unavailable when you purchased?
If your fan is the heat activated variety, you will be disappointed.
Did you install an insulated block off plate above the stove?
Without the blower and block off plate you are not going to enjoy the full potential of the stove. IMO. Good luck.

We were hunting for a woodstove with a large viewing area that wouldn’t require a large insert that would cover our granite and settled on the Nova 2.

When researching we couldn’t get information regarding the difference in blowers between the insert and blower available for the Nova2. The blower for the Nova insert is completely different and sits below the unit and has a shield that goes to one side of the “box”.

In the end we bought a fan that doesn’t use electricity because we are tight on space.

Pros of the Nova 2

Glass stays clean

Cons

Fire burns hot…We are going through way more wood then we thought we would. Reloading often.

The catalytic bypass handle needs an extender. We are using a fireplace poker as the unit is in our fireplace and there isn’t any room around the unit.

Our house is 2 stories and 2,700 sq feet. The Nova is definitely helping but obviously doesn’t fully meet our heating needs.

View attachment 305224
Professionally installed fully stainless 6 inch in a masonry chimney. We have a block off plate. The insert wouldn’t work, not enough space. Trade off.

Pros of the Nova 2

Glass stays clean

Cons

View attachment 305224
Do you find yourself wishing you had an air intake control? My Nova 2 should be here in a week.

Do you find yourself wishing you had an air intake control? My Nova 2 should be here in a week.
Reloading is tricky. Definitely have to wait for coals before reloading or it will be smokey. I haven’t had a woodstove in decades so I can’t compare to know if I miss the air intake control.

Reloading is tricky. Definitely have to wait for coals before reloading or it will be smokey. I haven’t had a woodstove in decades so I can’t compare to know if I miss the air intake control.
Seems like you are experiencing the same smoke roll out issues everyone else with this stove has. I posted a review here a month or two ago.