Oak Cleanup Last Night

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

certified106

Minister of Fire
Oct 22, 2010
Athens, Ohio
Finally had about an hour to get back to cutting last night and decided to work on the top of this oak tree that came down in the storm awhile back. Got 2 1/2 trailer loads out of it and finished up right before dark. I still need to take down the main trunk of the the tree depicted below. It should have quite a bit of wood in it as the section still standing is 40+ ft tall. It was a gorgeous evening. After it got dark I changed the oil in the splitter. I figured before to long I need to get working on the 2+ cord pile of rounds I have stacked up at this point.

Looks like some nice firewood certified106. It also looks like you have some room for the drop on what's left standing.

zap

Reactions: ScotO
That's a nice sized tractor for getting into the woods with. Do you fill the bucket to increase hauling capacity?

Great haul & pictures!
Looks like the main trunk will triple +, what you got so far.
Premium BTUs .

Careful with the trunk, don't see any lean in the pic, a little pull with a long rope might be insurance so it falls the right direction ;)

nice wood score, and you are right that was a beautiful evening last night! I agree with BD, get yerself a long rope or cable, tie it off somewhere up that standing trunk, and use your tractor to help that tree land right where you want it to go. Nothing wrong with a little insurance.......you're gonna end up with a nice little pile of oak off of that tree! ==c

Beautiful firewood there.

I have two clear felling paths to drop that tree and it doesn't have a speck of lean or a top in it so it should be an easy fell.....I hope.......I always get extremely careful when dropping one so I might just put a rope on it...... The tractor is the perfect size for getting back in the woods and it's even better when I drop the deck off (which takes about 3 minutes but I was being lazy). I am able to keep my main trails about the size of a four wheeler path and get it way back in off the path easily. I do usually fill the bucket as well as the trailer I just hadn't gotten the trailer full yet. I really want to build a 3 pt hitch carry all with a box on it so I can get into tighter spots and not have to worry about the trailer, maybe I will get around to that this winter.

I really want to build a 3 pt hitch carry all with a box on it so I can get into tighter spots and not have to worry about the trailer, maybe I will get around to that this winter.[/quote]

You should get a reciever hitch attachment for the back of your tractor...makes life easier when moving trailers or putting a basket on the back of your tractor. These are like the ones I built for the back of my small tractor. Nice bit of wood there...

Attachments

• 41hri7PBd3L__SS400_.jpg
    41hri7PBd3L__SS400_.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 89
  • 818YDtm958L__AA1500_.jpg
    818YDtm958L__AA1500_.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 96
Status
Not open for further replies.