• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Oct 30, 2019
Louisville
I had an old Cemi II hazard wood stove in my masonry fireplace and have decided the risk isn't worth it (I can't see flames inside it anyway, and that was the whole point). I am planning to remove the wood stove, clean the firebox, clean the flue, and install a top damper. The fireplace is in the lower level of my bi-level home and the whole area tends to be drafty and cold most of the year. Does anyone have any thoughts regarding installing an outside air kit through the back of the firebox? Is it just a dumb waste of time, an unecessary hazard, or perhaps actually useful? We have the tools; we can cut a hole through brick and install the thing.

Why do you think the risk is higher with a stove

It doesn't directly vent into its own stovepipe and isn't, to my knowledge, up to code. It vents into the firebox.
Ahhh ok. Yes that's unsafe without a properly sized liner

If it was my house, i'd drop a liner down the flue and get a good woodstove with a good air wash to keep the ceramic glass on the door clean.. They are Soooo much better than open fires. And if you do want some open fires you can run some woodstoves with the door open and a screen. A good woodstove would definitely change the cold drafty room to a warm toasty one.

If it was my house, i'd drop a liner down the flue and get a good woodstove with a good air wash to keep the ceramic glass on the door clean.. They are Soooo much better than open fires. And if you do want some open fires you can run some woodstoves with the door open and a screen.
My problem is one of time and resources. I can convert back to a fireplace with a new damper for less than $300 and get it fixed up and ready in an afternoon. A new stove and pipe will take considerably longer and cost much, much more. I mainly want it for ambience, but I was wondering if dropping at extra $80 to add the intake would improve how it heats (and decrease how much air is drawn in from my drafty french doors).

My problem is one of time and resources. I can convert back to a fireplace with a new damper for less than $300 and get it fixed up and ready in an afternoon. A new stove and pipe will take considerably longer and cost much, much more. I mainly want it for ambience, but I was wondering if dropping at extra $80 to add the intake would improve how it heats (and decrease how much air is drawn in from my drafty french doors).
You aren't going to heat the home with a fireplace regardless. Have you had the chimney and fireplace inspected for safety??

No, but that's also on the list. I'm not looking to heat my home. I'm just trying to determine whether $80 for a fresh air intake would be a complete waste of time.
Ok a fresh air intake can help some yes