Oak Leaves Falling In August is NOT A Good Sign

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oaks are the last to leaf out here, and the first to fall.
Huh. Here, they leaf out late and drop late. Some Oaks will still have brown leaves that haven't fallen off in the middle of winter. Not all the trees of that particular specie will still have them, though. It's weird....

Reactions: nrford and PapaDave
Not buying into it......
Few years it got cold quick in the fall and I don't remember to many days under 40 after that it was a warm winter...after all the forecasters called for a frigid one.....
Hopefully we will get the cold this year but I am not buying in .....yet LOL

Not buying into it......
Few years it got cold quick in the fall and I don't remember to many days under 40 after that it was a warm winter...after all the forecasters called for a frigid one.....
Hopefully we will get the cold this year but I am not buying in .....yet LOL

Farmers around me speak to the almanac and swear by heat points. That is, a warm summer means a cold winter and the opposite. There are only so many heats points and they can be used up in the summer or winter. I tend to think a little colder than last winter and a little wetter. Nothing drastically different from last winter. The seasons seam to be phasing in and out much slower as well. It was cold until May here. Heck Des Moines got a foot of snow in May this past spring.

It is all up to guess. Winters seam to trend progressively though.

Who knows.

About a quarter of my red oaks are dropping leaves from oak wilt. It there anything you can do for them besides taking them down?

Acorns coming down today.

Seriously?? Hopefully an Indian Summer.

Most years we have some acorns falling by the end of July. A really dry year will have them falling early in July. We've had a few fall this year but not many yet and those are just the tiny ones with no meat. We don't expect to see many on the red oaks this year for sure because of the drought last summer.

Heck it was 65F most of the day here in SC. It rained a bit today I got damp in the raised. And ha my heat on in the truck as I was COLD!!!

45 F here this morning when I was walking the Murph.

About a quarter of my red oaks are dropping leaves from oak wilt. It there anything you can do for them besides taking them down?

Trench at least 6' deep between diseased trees and healthy trees. Otherwise sit back and watch them all die.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Status
Not open for further replies.