Oak score !!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Occo370

Jan 23, 2010
Jersey Shore
I just hot a call from a friend. Be split 2 cords of oak last year. Well he wants to give it to me. He doesn't want to burn anymore. My question is. I save about 2 cords for this year. Will 1-1.5 year ok b ok Yo burn this year if my 2 cords don't last te season???

Sorry about my horrible spelling. I'm using my phone to post

Get it all and stack it...its not really ready to burn this year anyway, but next year it'll be a kick ass pile of wood for you to use.

If you run short this year you can burn it, it just won't quite as dry as it really ought to be.

Occo370 said:
I just hot a call from a friend. Be split 2 cords of oak last year. Well he wants to give it to me. He doesn't want to burn anymore. My question is. I save about 2 cords for this year. Will 1-1.5 year ok b ok Yo burn this year if my 2 cords don't last te season???

What month last year?

June

Is there an echo in here?

If you have a good place to stack it you may be able to use some at the end of 2012 winter.

I think we are becoming our "own". Old wise men.
What I mean is we are so used to saying 2+ years that we don't even take in to consideration that it can be good in a year....lol
Depending on how it is stacked, what size are the splits, sun, wind, rainy summer (aka local weather conditions)

I have learned the hard way, stacking medium to large splits tight takes all of a good 2yrs plus 3 really....
Small to medium splits stacked with 1-2 feet in between rows getting about 4-6 hrs of sun a day season much faster...
So its a choice for me , less wood for a faster turn around or more wood and still get some sissing 2yrs later?

It must also have something to do with the region too. Around here 3 years is good for oak.

It makes me wonder if that friend quit burning wood because he tried to burn that oak and did not get very good results. I've seen this happen too many times.

He never did burn. He was thinking about it but didn't. I'm in Nj. People here say 2 years. But I was hoping for some wisdom on how to burn it after 1.5. :). N thanks everyone

[quote author="Occo370" date="1307747997"]He never did burn. He was thinking about it but didn't. I'm in Nj. People here say 2 years. But I was hoping for some wisdom on how to burn it after 1.5. :). N thanks everyone[/
quote]

Depends on how long of burn times.you are looking for... I myself am switching to smaller splits that will be rectangular.. should give me maximum drying time ultimate in stove stackability! (meaning I should be able to stack rectangular pieces better in the stove) Which I am hoping will keep my burn times the.same....my space is to limited to keep waiting 2-3 years for the best burn which isn't always the case do to me having to stack so tight...c

Occo370 said:
He never did burn. He was thinking about it but didn't. I'm in Nj. People here say 2 years. But I was hoping for some wisdom on how to burn it after 1.5. :). N thanks everyone

Central Jerz here. 1.5 years was fine with me . Medium splts would be ok also.

Thanks. It'll be backup wood for this year. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.