Oct. 4th first fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Newburnerwisconsin

Feeling the Heat
Jul 8, 2015
wisconsin
Here we go. First load of cherry for the shoulder season. Snow in the forecast for next week. Seems to be getting earlier every year now. 0D53ACE0-5320-47FC-99D3-A0F09C9C4442.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: blacktail
I could have lit one last night too, had a touch of frost this morning but I wasn't prepared. I'm going to bring dome wood in tonight in case we have another cold one. Funny how we're dying to light the first fire and can't wait to light the last one.

Snow in the forecast for next week.
Yikes! I'm not ready for snow yet..too much down wood that I want to grab, plus I'd like to do all the gaskets on the stove before I fire up, as I haven't done any since the stove was new in 2010. ;em They are tight and aren't leaking as far as I can tell, but I'm sure a new bypass door gasket couldn't hurt..

Last edited:
I more than likely wont have first burn for a couple weeks. It's been the hottest September I can remember here. Up until a few days ago it was still in 90's . Cold fronts have finally broken pattern tho so it wont b long.

First fire last night. Some oak. And basswood to lighten the load. 50f out and 40s at night, don't need much.

1003191914.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 248650

The pup was happy to have the stove rolling last night

HehHeh . . . the other night I lit a fire as it was chilly and at one point I looked around the room and spotted six of our eight cats and the foster dog all hanging around the stove.

Reactions: kvesi122
No mouse problem at this household

Unless one of them brings in one of their play things . . . one has a fondness for bringing in crickets and snakes. My wife is not so happy with these "gifts."

A little bird showed up today in the garage. She has, presents.
But it's also funny how she (the cat) doesn't seem to be as hungry when it's nearing frosty nights. Cat's away the mice will play.
(Cat spends the night in the garage - she's taking care of the incoming.)

Last edited: