Odd Ceiling Fan Problen

Wooden Head

Burning Hunk
Sep 14, 2009
227
West Michigan
Installed a new Hunter ceiling fan that has a remote control for both fan and light. Works fine on power from utility. First time we had a power outage I hooked up my Honda 3000is (this is a 110/120 volt generator) to the system through my existing hard wired connection to the breaker panel. Everything in the house worked a usual except the new fan. Everything on the same circuit work as usual. I spoke with tech at Hunter and they could not explain the problem. Later I hooked up my Rigid 220/240v generator to the system (yes, I unhooked the Honda) and noticed the fan functioned properly. Any ideas?
 

zrock

Minister of Fire
Dec 2, 2017
835
bc
Im assuming the rigid is a higher wattage generator and most likely that is your problem. Running a house off a 110/120 volt gen is a lot to ask for a whole house. Im assuming your also trying to run the 2 power legs in your breaker panel of the 120v
 

Wooden Head

Burning Hunk
Sep 14, 2009
227
West Michigan
Im assuming the rigid is a higher wattage generator and most likely that is your problem. Running a house off a 110/120 volt gen is a lot to ask for a whole house. Im assuming your also trying to run the 2 power legs in your breaker panel of the 120v
Thanks for the help. Yes, I am running both legs 110/120 from the Honda generator. I have done this for 15 years without a problem. If the gen. if overloaded by to much draw it will give you a warning light and then shut down. I know this because I once left my compressor on and it tried to kit in and caused the gen to shut down. The small gen. runs other ceiling fans, the furnace, the pellet stoves, 2 freezers, refrigerator, computers ,Sat. systems and entertainment systems all running without a problem. The furnace , drier and water heater are propane for flame. The ridged is hooked-up for water pump use for showers and other water uses.
 

zrock

Minister of Fire
Dec 2, 2017
835
bc
Holy crap thats alot of draw for a 3000im betting that unit is running past its max or very close to it or after 15 years its starting to loose some output.... Some electronics are very sensitive to voltage drops i found this out the hard way several years ago when it was about -30 out... I cam home one night and sat down to watch tv and every time the furnace kicked on all the electronics in the house including led lights would shut of and turn back on. I spent hours trying to figure this out. Ened up calling a electrician at midnight boy was that expensive. He walked out to the hydro pole and changed a fuse... Someone at some point had put a under size fuse on the pole box and one leg of my hydro was blown so every time my furnace kicked on it droped the voltage to low for everything else. I also worked at a RV park for several years and had a bad leg on our main hydro and it would do the same thing to peoples campers.. So i just avoided those sites or moved the brakes to the good leg to compensate...