Oh No! Don't burn Locust in your stove!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
lukem said:
estang said:
Did't know it creates creosote.

It doesn't...it creates creosole.

That made me laugh so hard, I spit my coffee out. :))

albertj03 said:
Here is a picture of the wood. I wasn't expecting it to be a year and a half old!
Oooo, that looks like a pretty big pile...hope you post a pic when it's stacked. :cheese:

albertj03 said:
Here is a picture of the wood. I wasn't expecting it to be a year and a half old!

Damn, thats sweet. Nice score even though it isn't good for a stove and really is only campfire wood. LOL

Shawn

Is this stuff going to be a b!tch to split since it's been seasoned a bit? I've split seasoned red oak enough to know that it's a totally different beast than when green. Hope the Super Splitter is up for it! Good thing I bought the Fiskars axe sharpener.

Here it is loaded on the trailer. I split the wood half and half with my buddy who brought his trailer so we could get it in one load.

bc3f036b.jpg

That is wonderful! Sometimes we luck out on these things.

I split most of the larger rounds and was surprised at how easy it was to split them. MC was very different depending on where the rounds where in the pile. Stuff on the top of the pile was 24 - 28% and the stuff on the bottom was 32 - 36%. I'll stack the stuff that was on top for this year and the bottom stuff for next year and re-check MC in Decemeber - January to see what it looks like. I think most of that top stuff will be ready.

The bottom 15' of the tree is still standing and it's easily 3 feet around at the base. They going to have someone come and push it over and take the root ball away but the rest of the tree will still be there. Their going to call me to come cut it up once it's on the ground. Problem is that I don't think the Husqvarna 450 18" bar is going to be up for the challenge. Wonder if I can put a 20" bar on it, not that it's going to make much of a difference.

2x18=36. You should be fine. Black Locust is such an "unround" or irregular shaped tree that you should be able to get through it with an 18". You'll have to work from both sides and roll it somehow. That is a great score.

A few years ago I answered a CL ad for free firewood and found a pile of locust that had been cut for a couple of years, various log lengths, some big stuff up to about 30" diam., probably about 5 or 6 cords. I hauled off about 2 cords worth. The woman who posted the ad said other people had stopped by and actually gotten pissed off at her for misrepresenting that black locust as firewood! I felt bad for them driving all the way out there only to find black locust. Poor souls. That and oak is my really cold weather wood. It does not light easily FYI, not something I'd be trying to start my stove up with.

Lots of BL here in Maryland from Irene too, here is my wall. This wall is actually 4 rows deep after another 7x12 trailer full this am. The Pallets on edge in the back right may give an idea of the size.

Black Walnut (I think) was amid the find of Locust.

My helper Chance.

Attachments

• Black Locust 9-17-11 -3.jpg
    Black Locust 9-17-11 -3.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 240
  • Black Walnut 9-17-11.jpg
    Black Walnut 9-17-11.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 270
  • Chance with Black Locust.jpg
    Chance with Black Locust.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 242
Thank goodness I saw this post. Was going to just go ahead and burn about 3 cords of BL for winter 2012/13. Now I know to strip off the bark first so's to avoid that nasty chimney fire buildup. Thanks and great score!

albertj03 said:
Stuff on the top of the pile was 24 - 28% and the stuff on the bottom was 32 - 36%. I'll stack the stuff that was on top for this year
Hmmm, that's still pretty wet. If you don't need it this season, you'll likely get more heat out of it if you wait 'til next season...

Woody Stover said:
albertj03 said:
Stuff on the top of the pile was 24 - 28% and the stuff on the bottom was 32 - 36%. I'll stack the stuff that was on top for this year
Hmmm, that's still pretty wet. If you don't need it this season, you'll likely get more heat out of it if you wait 'til next season...

That's what I'm planning to do with most of it, stack it for next year. I'm hoping Some of the stuff that was at the very top of the pile will be ready in January so Ii can finally burn Black Locust though. Very much looking forward to it!

jpl1nh said:
t does not light easily FYI, not something I'd be trying to start my stove up with.

That's true not that easy to light. Often had to take a some splits and wack them into smaller sticks use them to make a crib in the fireplace to get it going but once going... :coolsmile: it's all good.

Another nice thing about locust is the stuff will never rot. They used to make fenceposts out of it because even when you buried it in the ground it was still extremely rot resistant, I'm not sure if they still use locust for this though. And as for saving it for campfires, that's heresy! Kinda like adding coke to a fine whisky.

albertj03 said:

bb5fdcc8.jpg

That is one beautiful sight . . . only thing better would be to see this pile all split and stacked for next year. Congrats on the score!

Status
Not open for further replies.