Ok it's that time of the year again....... to show wood piles/stacks!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iceman

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2006
Springfield Ma (western mass)
ok people lets get to posting pics of our pride and joy! (wood stacked or piled... )
my guesstimate is about 11-12 cords in my back yard split and stacked
hopefully this years wood will be drier than lasts so i wont use as much wood.. on average i use about 4 cord... but this is the first year burning something that has been sitting for at least 2 summers or more..

Attachments

• IMAG0123.jpg
    IMAG0123.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 4,020
Recently cross stacked free cherry.

Attachments

• cherry cross stack.jpg
    cherry cross stack.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 3,646
the stuff on the right is for 12-13 the left is for 11-12....
the big stuff that is stacked is from a recent scrounge will resplit it smaller later.. maybe
stuff on the left side has been stacked since last summer.. except for the bottom which was overflow from the right side

Attachments

• IMAG0119.jpg
    IMAG0119.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 3,617
this is for this year ... a little pine for the first time! as well as of course, well oak.. a little over 2 cords

Attachments

• IMAG0120.jpg
    IMAG0120.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 3,600
another 2 cords of mostly oak for this year..... i thought this stack was gonna fall over but its holding on!

Attachments

• IMAG0121.jpg
    IMAG0121.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 3,580
here mine

Attachments

• 2010 heating wood.jpg
    2010 heating wood.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 3,559
Just starting to move a pile up close to the house from the back of the property, with a little help from my ole buddy Blue...

Attachments

• Stacking.jpg
    Stacking.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 3,443
And Im getting a good start on next years wood as well ;-)

Attachments

• Wood Pile resize.jpg
    Wood Pile resize.jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 3,560
B savage you sure you got enough land? I get lost looking at you piles! Need a gps!

Not sure where i am going to start on the pile. I have about 2 cords of dead standing oak that was cut in September of 2009 that would be the easiest to get to but i think i am gong to let that go for next year. Then i have 8 cords of ash, maple, walnut and some black gum that was all c/s/s between nov-jan. I am thinking that is going to be my best bet. Then i have another 1.5 cords of red oak that was c/s/s in February. That was green when cut so it will be for 2012-2013 beings that i have about 5 cords of ash to c/s/ between then and now.

IMG_3495.jpg

the red oak
IMG_3499.jpg

I have another 3 cords of popular, maple and hickory that is split but in a big pile awaiting to be stacked once i burn some to make room. That will go along with the red oak for the 2012-2013 season.

Dennis, how high are your stacks approximately? I am looking to stack in the open and i found that anything over 5 foot gets pretty unstable.

Archer39 said:
Not sure where i am going to start on the pile. I have about 2 cords of dead standing oak that was cut in September of 2009 that would be the easiest to get to but i think i am gong to let that go for next year. Then i have 8 cords of ash, maple, walnut and some black gum that was all c/s/s between nov-jan. I am thinking that is going to be my best bet. Then i have another 1.5 cords of red oak that was c/s/s in February. That was green when cut so it will be for 2012-2013 beings that i have about 5 cords of ash to c/s/ between then and now.

IMG_3495.jpg

the red oak
IMG_3499.jpg

I have another 3 cords of popular, maple and hickory that is split but in a big pile awaiting to be stacked once i burn some to make room. That will go along with the red oak for the 2012-2013 season.

Simply beautiful!

thank you, but it is not so nice now. It is kinda leaning and the entire back row in the long sections is fallen into the front row.

Archer39 said:
thank you, but it is not so nice now. It is kinda leaning and the entire back row in the long sections is fallen into the front row.

Mine are leaning too. getting close to burning them so we will see which.comes first - they fall or see my stove!

I thought you would never ask. I am going to eliminate my ICON this year, this is my seasoned Holtz Hausen of Cherry. About 5 cords, I am really going to miss seeing it and talking about it.

The second picture is Oak Lane with a Cherry End Cap. Probably about 4 cords.

Third picture is a mini HH of Ash and Hickory bordered with a wall of Locust, Sassafras, Cherry, Maple, Oak and Beech.

Picture 4 is a PVC Rack with a metal roof close to the house.

Attachments

• woodpile2hh.jpg
    woodpile2hh.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 3,395
  • woodpile5.jpg
    woodpile5.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 3,306
  • woodpile6.jpg
    woodpile6.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 3,259
  • woodpile3rack.jpg
    woodpile3rack.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 3,268
Here is the rest of my hoard. Still alot of dead stuff in the woods, some is already cut.

The Beech Pile I started on recently. I hear this stuff is great to burn.

Finally, this pile will go this year, starting to move some now. Fast seasoning maple and some hot burning locust for when it gets cold.

Watch out Dennis, I am trying to get ahead of you. I did most of this within the last year, split by hand with a Monster Maul and a Fiskars. I finally met my match with some really old ELM tree that I think may have injured my elbow. Heaven forbid I have even considered getting a log splitter. Quads would never forgive me. I will give it a week and hope it heals up, but it is driving me crazy that I cannot keep adding to the hoard.

Attachments

• woodpile4beech.jpg
    woodpile4beech.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 3,191
  • woodpile1.jpg
    woodpile1.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 3,197
At least two years worth seasoned and ready to burn.
With at least another year waiting to be split!

47552_1347761506222_1596863925_778437_6405584_n.jpg

iceman said:
Archer39 said:

Mine are leaning to getting close to burning them though see we will see
+1

About six cords.

Attachments

• IMG_0064.jpg
    IMG_0064.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 1,997
  • IMG_0065.jpg
    IMG_0065.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 1,963
First shot is for 2010 all Oak, 2nd is for 2011 mostly Oak with some Ash and Honey Locust. The Pile is for 2012 which will be stacked in the shed after I burn the 2010 supply. Last picture is under my porch, got about 1 cord of left over Black Locust, Hackberry and some Oak shorties I had to cut in half that I used for the old fireplace. I think I'll burn the shorties first this Fall. Looks like i have about 10 cords.

Attachments

• 100_1146.jpg
    100_1146.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 1,969
  • 100_1147.jpg
    100_1147.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 1,938
  • 100_1148.jpg
    100_1148.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 1,952
  • 100_1149.jpg
    100_1149.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 1,965
Todd said:
First shot is for 2010 all Oak, 2nd is for 2011 mostly Oak with some Ash and Honey Locust. The Pile is for 2012 which will be stacked in the shed after I burn the 2010 supply. Last picture is under my porch, got about 1 cord of left over Black Locust, Hackberry and some Oak shorties I had to cut in half that I used for the old fireplace. I think I'll burn the shorties first this Fall. Looks like i have about 10 cords.

Love that first pic I know u must enjoy it! So neat I would hate to take from it!

Man, you guys can stack. No pride here, but a lot of joy in finally getting solidly ahead.

Attachments

• 09 leftovers.jpg
    09 leftovers.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 1,884
  • 09 under roof for 10.jpg
    09 under roof for 10.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 1,967
  • 0830heap.jpg
    0830heap.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 1,900
iceman said:
Todd said:

Love that first pic I know u must enjoy it! So neat I would hate to take from it!

Yeah, i like to walk by every day and admire the stacks. It's also a good thing I have that pile on standby to fill the shed back up as soon as possible.

Great looking stacks guys. So perty I would hate to burn it.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.