Ok, the cold weather is gone but the snow is here!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Badfish740

Minister of Fire
Oct 3, 2007
I cleared about 8" of the heavy wet stuff here in NW Hunterdon today with the snowblower. Here's the Accuweather Map for tomorrow night:

650x366_02031843_hd27-2.jpg

Amateur weathercaster on Facebook:

1545616_658347444221276_529050201_n.png

I had the day off luckily. Snow like this can turn my hour commute into two or three-my wife is a teacher who is now praying for NO MORE snow as any snow days after this one start to chip away at spring break :p This one was quite purdy though:

20140203_140839_zps7c9bdac6.jpg

I decided to take a ride through the woods but quickly changed my mind after I slid into a rut and almost didn't get out, so I opted for this glamour shot instead ;lol All I know is if we get another 8" on top of this tomorrow night there aren't going to be a lot of places left to put it if we get a big storm over the weekend. The snow wall between my driveway and my neighbors' (we have about 6' of dirt between the driveways) is about 3' high already.

We got 8" of snow today, another 6 - 12 tomorrow night, and who knows what for Sunday night (they are talking feet, not inches).

My super hero neighbor, who plows me out, pushed the snow wayyyyyy farther back than usual. I figure he's leaving room to plow the stuff that's coming :mad:

SIL has been stuck all day at Philly airport waiting for a plane to Boston.

SIL has been stuck all day at Philly airport waiting for a plane to Boston.

I've spent the night at Philly. Scarey. Lucky I found an outlet to charge the cell. Then sent 2 hours waiting to board, the 2 hours in line to get de iced _g

Last edited:
I hate winter flights. They take all the rudeness of current flying and raise it by a magnitude.

Last edited:
8" here yesterday with 6-10 more coming tonight

I've spent the night at Philly. Scarey. Lucky I found an outlet to charge the cell. Then sent 2 hours waiting to board, the 2 hours in line to get de iced _g
Philly sucks ! A cricket farts there ,, it's an automatic delay. I'll pay extra for a layover NOT in Philly !
They do however have killer hoagies at some vendors there !

Definetly the most under-rated snow fall of the season. It is very tough snow to drive in. First time I couldn't get my JD 420 through it to get to the wood piles in the back.

Definetly the most under-rated snow fall of the season. It is very tough snow to drive in. First time I couldn't get my JD 420 through it to get to the wood piles in the back.

Agreed-the picture I posted above is heading up a hill on a small piece of state game land near my house. The view from the top looks like this (taken sometime last March/early April):

IMG_2394_zpsb9f5497d.jpg

I didn't get 100 yards down the trail before I decided that I'd better not go any further with no winch and no close buddies to help me out...

Got snow, and returning cold temps. I ordered Spring to arrive early, but seems to have been lost in the shuffle.

Heard that the cold is going to last till May, if that is the case it may mean that we may not get accumulating snow in June this year.
Since the groundhog saw his shadow does that mean we have 6 months of winter left?

Snow blower fired up, check. Generator fired up, check, fuel filled, check. Most importantly, dog toys and runs cleared out of pathways, check. Over half a cord on the front porch under cover. Forecast is for about 10", I'm totally ready ahead of time, storm will probably miss me completely.
Then there's Sunday. ..
One forecaster put it best when asked about Sunday.
"The energy is still in Alaska, the computers agree but vary about 100 miles on exact track, 100 miles is the difference between 24" of snow and no snow, I'm not ready to make that call just yet"

The genny has been cold all winter but now I'm officially worried:

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/20..._ice_could_be_the_problem.html#incart_m-rpt-1

Hunterdon, Somerset and Mercer counties are the areas most likely to get the thickest coating of ice, Meola said. Thinner coatings of ice could spread through the rest of the state...The worst-case scenario is for three-quarters of an inch of ice, said Gary Szatkowski, the meteorologist-in-charge in Mount Holly. That amount would be “catastrophic,” he said in a Tweet this morning.

The last time we lost power an account of an ice storm it was out for five days !!!

Last walk in the woods before snow gets too deep again.
20140204_170312.jpg
Good luck with any ice, that's never any fun. Lost power once for 5 days back when I lived in MA, thankfully we were right in town and had town water heated by gas so you could thaw out in the shower. Only time in my life I looked forward to going to work and didn't want to leave.

Reactions: Adios Pantalones
Last walk in the woods before snow gets too deep again.

If we have as much as they say we will by Monday my lab will be doing his crazy jackrabbit hop out there.

Reactions: Warm_in_NH
Despite the preliminary sweep the snow blower still found a dog toy in the snow. Luckily this time it just kicked it out, basketballs usually bind up fast and tight.

20140205_212932.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.