Ok to use chainsaw on burned wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

neverbilly

Burning Hunk
Dec 27, 2015
Arkansas, USA
EDIT: I have scrapped this idea. Intuition was that it’s hard on a saw and I found info online that it is. If anything, will use a large drill.

=

Have been burning an oak stump. Have made good progress but would like to hopefully finish it off below ground level by again cutting slots down into it to add diesel and go again. The top is charred. Ok for a saw?

My method was to first cut stump as close to ground as possible. Is a big red oak. Cut slots deep, add diesel, then wood. Kept huge fire burning atop for couple days. Used LOTS of scrap firewood chunks and odd pieces.

If I had an old electric leaf blower, would turn it on n let it blow!

Last edited:
What do I know, and I've never done it, but I've READ that it could be dangerous to a nearby house if the roots were to burn in its direction. A long time ago we hired a guy with a stump grinder, which worked out great. Might be cheaper per stump if you had him do several.

I don't think burned wood is bad for a saw. If any, carbon powder can be lubricating (it may even contain significant amounts of graphite). However, a stump can have significant sand in it. That, obviously, wreaks havoc on a chain.

So indeed, I'd avoid using the saw here.