OK.. what tire size do you use?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
author="Jags" date="1197926036
12.3 Pounds at 4.4 hp. Makes for VERY efficient cutting. Less work than my old saw at 9 pounds. That IS working smarter.

That is the weight of the power head alone. Now remember you have to add gas, oil and which ever chain and bar you desire!

Must be real easy cuttin those 48"ers pullin that starter rope with no bar and chain!

Jim Walsh said:
author="Jags" date="1197926036
12.3 Pounds at 4.4 hp. Makes for VERY efficient cutting. Less work than my old saw at 9 pounds. That IS working smarter.

Must be real easy cuttin those 48"ers pullin that starter rope with no bar and chain!

Usually I try to cut with the bar and chain in place. :coolsmirk: The point is that just because chainsaw xxxx is lighter than chainsaw yyyy, doesn't mean it is less WORK to operate.

author="Jags" date="1197928712
Usually I try to cut with the bar and chain in place. :coolsmirk: The point is that just because chainsaw xxxx is lighter than chainsaw yyyy, doesn't mean it is less WORK to operate.

Stihl is quality and the 361 is high end, no doubt about it, and you probably spent $700+ for the saw. But I doubt 'most' want to lug that around their wood pile cutting rounds that are 'usually' less than 16"s. Now if they were clearing lots or logging that would be another story.

Jim Walsh said:
author="Jags" date="1197928712

Stihl is quality and the 361 is high end, no doubt about it, and you probably spent $700+ for the saw. But I doubt 'most' want to lug that around their wood pile cutting rounds that are 'usually' less than 16"s. Now if they were clearing lots or logging that would be another story.

Like I stated earlier in this thread.....I got big wood. ;-)

Any size works. If there is too much space, add extra wood as padding.

Don't forget to drill holes into the sidewalls so that water won't accumate; no one wants to breed extra mosquitoes since there are so many already to attack while splitting.

Another handy trick: wedge your wood between logs.

Jim Walsh said:
Those familiar with maul splitting know this old trick.... now passing it along to others,

What size tire really works well?

Just right most of the time... ~ 18"x14" round red oak and split it in less than a minute:
IMGP0304.png

Too low a profile?

IMGP0142.png

Rimless and 14"?:
IMGP0140.png

Status
Not open for further replies.