Older BK Model ID?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chance04

Burning Hunk
Nov 22, 2014
Eastern Shore MD
My mom and step dad have an older BK princess I do believe. Non cat but looks identical to the one on the pic of the Craig's list ad below. I can't quite make out the model number the seller sent me a pic of the tag on the back that says cat stove but I can't make out the model. I'm curious if first off what model it is. Secondly I don't see a bypass handle to verify the cat and I don't wanna drive 2 hours for nothing. Like was there a " bad year" or a design flaw or something when BK first changed to cat stoves

uploadfromtaptalk1443636722640.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I heated my house with a Blaze king non-cat Princess insert for 26 years. I would still have it today if it had a proper connection to the chimney, all it used was the block off plate in front of the fireplace.

The quick identifier back then was the thermometer. The cat stoves had one, the non-cat stoves did not. You were supposed to watch the thermometer and pull the bypass when it was up to temp.

I heated my house with a Blaze king non-cat Princess insert for 26 years. I would still have it today if it had a proper connection to the chimney, all it used was the block off plate in front of the fireplace.

The quick identifier back then was the thermometer. The cat stoves had one, the non-cat stoves did not. You were supposed to watch the thermometer and pull the bypass when it was up to temp.
They have heated their home for the past 25 years with the current non cat. I'm just looking out for their backs and wood consumption. Its a great stove but they consume 8-9 cords a year

Princess has four holes in the base, King has five. Can't see it in any of those pics.

Bypass handle is visible in the pic of the side of the stove, though a bit dark.

Looks to be in pretty nice shape.

Reactions: chance04
Ask the seller to read and provide the model number from the back tag.

I'd ask again telling them that you can't read the model number due to glare.

With the manufacturing date of 1983, it is a pre EPA model. Second, it is either a PEJ1000 or KEJ 1100. Neither of these two were EPA approved.

The combustor design has greatly improved over time resulting is longer life and less maintenance. If you wind up buying the unit, be advised that some states, regions etc. and even some insurance companies are not looking for EPA certification.

Buyer beware....

With the manufacturing date of 1983, it is a pre EPA model. Second, it is either a PEJ1000 or KEJ 1100. Neither of these two were EPA approved.

The combustor design has greatly improved over time resulting is longer life and less maintenance. If you wind up buying the unit, be advised that some states, regions etc. and even some insurance companies are not looking for EPA certification.

Buyer beware....
Would you consider it a worthwhile upgrade from the non cat currently in service? Or wait for a better deal on a later epa unit?

Would you consider it a worthwhile upgrade from the non cat currently in service? Or wait for a better deal on a later epa unit?
I'd wait...unless it's $250.00 or less.

You really think BK would have put a "catalytic wood stove" badge on a non-EPA stove? Would they have even built a non-EPA stove, after introducing their catalytic design?

Would they have even built a non-EPA stove, after introducing their catalytic design?
I bought my Blaze King stove in 86. The store was selling both cat and non-cat stoves at that time. The cat stoves were praised for using a lot less wood, but we're known to be temperamental. Cat replacement was expected to happen every few years. Sooner if you were careless what you burned, less if you were hyper vigilant. I bought a Non-cat version so I would not have to deal with the headaches. I was told that there was an EPA law change coming and I got one of the last non-cat stoves Blaze King made.

It was a GREAT stove.

You really think BK would have put a "catalytic wood stove" badge on a non-EPA stove? Would they have even built a non-EPA stove, after introducing their catalytic design?

Doesn't have to be EPA approved to have a catalyst. Phase I didn't take effect until 1988, stove was built in '83.

Blaze King built cat stoves in 1983. The first NSPS (EPA) requirements were in 1988. However, Oregon state began testing and certifying in 1984. In fact, we have the very first certificate ever issued, #00001.

In 1983, we made what would be called a "hybrid" wood stove. It was a model PEJ1001,which had a round, 5.66" ceramic Corning combustor and 4 secondary air tubes, with dedicated air inlet for both.

Reactions: Ashful
I bought my Blaze King stove in 86. The store was selling both cat and non-cat stoves at that time. The cat stoves were praised for using a lot less wood, but we're known to be temperamental. Cat replacement was expected to happen every few years. Sooner if you were careless what you burned, less if you were hyper vigilant. I bought a Non-cat version so I would not have to deal with the headaches. I was told that there was an EPA law change coming and I got one of the last non-cat stoves Blaze King made.

It was a GREAT stove.

And bk still makes noncat stoves.

The Briarwood is a non cat, correct.

Yes, but no one answered the first question: Would BK have put a "catalytic wood stove" badge on a stove without a catalytic combustor?

Yes, but no one answered the first question: Would BK have put a "catalytic wood stove" badge on a stove without a catalytic combustor?
I am sorry. I did ask this and perhaps typing a post on my phone my thoughts got lost in translation. I was looking for an answer that BKVP indeed answered.

Status
Not open for further replies.